What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The nrl standard this year?

Michael Bishop

Juniors
It hasn't been great. For me a highlight is the Broncos & Cowboys struggling, Manly putting 50 on Parramatta, and some decent young players coming through. Lowlight would be the number of injuries, banning of the shoulder charge, poor refereeing, and the overreaction to the biff.

Card Shark

Immortal
For example optional restart, no one ever tries to kick for touch to gain ground and go straight on the attack. If you practise that play at training it could be a weapon.

Or kickoff's. the Tigers tried a variation (not in the last 5 mins when it's expected) & got immediate results & got them back into the game. Whereas the Sharks kicked off to the same man 5 f**king times.

I don't get that....the element of surprise can be a handy weapon but it's rarely used anymore for fear of failure.

newman

First Grade
It really feels like a flat season and the fact that a bunch of tragics on a web forum say so pretty much unanimously is enough anecdotal evidence to prove the point.

The concerning thing is how you can objectively say that the comp isnt even that competitive this year. One of the major selling points the NRL has had in the past is that with the salary cap most weeks, most matches could go either way and that's an angle other sports couldnt offer. You cant say that this year. Removing the false uncertainty created around Origin; Melbourne, Souths and the Roosters seem destined to win everything where Parra, St George and The Tigers are real minnows at the moment. The Cows and Brisbane are pretty bad but more competitive. Then there are a whole glut of teams in the middle like the Knights, Sharks, Penrith, Titans, Raiders, Dogs etc etc who look pretty good one week and then shocking the next and that keeps them on a similar number of points.

I know you can say that about most seasons but the division between the top, average middle and bottom seems more pronounced than usual and that hurts the game. We should be laughing at the AFL with teams that cant win but the fact is we are not that far away from there even though we have a thousand measures to artificially even it up.

Add into this the genuine lack of flair that has been described in teams tactics and it accounts for a ho hum season.

Springs

First Grade
Roosters and Souths are the only fun teams to watch. Storm and Manly are same old boring wrestle shit and the rest have either been horrible or horribly inconsistent.

And then there's the rule changes, the incredibly soft approach to hard contact and the video ref.

betcats

Referee
A increasingly boring product is the NRLs real problem, not fighting and shoulder charges ffs.

Halvs these days generally rely on a defender making a bad choice, even then half of them arent quick enough to adjust on their feet.

If You keep running decoy plays with enough possesion eventually a defender will stuff up.

Speed up the rucks so the defence doesnt can't always be set and we'll see some exciting football again.

Right now we are going the way NFL imo, so structured and set all the time.

Last edited:

MrAnonymous

Bench
Yeh its been shit this year.

Need to change the interchange to 6, f**k the wrestle off and bring back the Shoulder charge the game is soft and boring as f**k.

All current refs and video refs need to be shot.

Aragorn

First Grade
max. of two can tackle the man with the ball.

that would speed up the game and you would see way more tackle busts.

LJC

Juniors
A increasingly boring product is the NRLs real problem, not fighting and shoulder charges ffs.

Halvs these days generally rely on a defender making a bad choice, even then half of them arent quick enough to adjust on their feet.

If You keep running decoy plays with enough possesion eventually a defender will stuff up.

If you class RL as boring go watch a rugby union game! Then you will see the most boring version of rugby their is!

It's (RU)been the most boring version of rugby for over 100 years and has grown/survived purely on the back of establishment support and bias which is entrenched and very real! These RU people are very adept at hiding the many awful tactics they have done around the world against rugby league and not many people know about what has gone on.

I have just read a book called "The Forbidden Game". Have a read and you will start to get the picture of what has been really going on behind the scenes against rugby league courtesy of rugby union people.

betcats

Referee
If you class RL as boring go watch a rugby union game! Then you will see the most boring version of rugby their is!

It's (RU)been the most boring version of rugby for over 100 years and has grown/survived purely on the back of establishment support and bias which is entrenched and very real! These RU people are very adept at hiding the many awful tactics they have done around the world against rugby league and not many people know about what has gone on.

I have just read a book called "The Forbidden Game". Have a read and you will start to get the picture of what has been really going on behind the scenes against rugby league courtesy of rugby union people.

Im sure Union is boring but that doesnt change my opinion that RL is becoming boring.

Springs

First Grade
Souths and Melbourne-------- daylight-------- chooks, manly (at times)------- daylight-------- the rest of the comp.

I think this has been pretty ordinary year, even last year was pretty shit as well (and my team was actually alright in 2012). I have said it before and I'll say it again, the lads that play now are more athlete than footballer. What players lack in football ability they make up for in spades these days is in the gym/fitness department.

A player like Cameron Smith can be built like a lesbian librarian but still carve up and run rings around the other players who are obviously a lot stronger and faster, is because he has a footballing brain and knows how to play 'the game'. I think the problem is they spend too much time eating weights and not enough learning how to hit holes and create over laps and how to pass to players in a better position than themselves.

That's the key I think. Talent scouts go out and watch junior teams and see the bigger, stronger, faster 12 year old brushing past the little blokes. And so we end up with the players that were big and strong in junior leagues being developed through the NRL system. A reason why there's so many islanders in the NRL system is because they mature faster and at a certain age are so much bigger than the other kids it's not funny.
And so we have players whose soul purpose is to run hard in attack and hit hard in defence, yet don't know what to do in certain situations.
Tony Williams for example, a hopeless winger yet a good backrower. Runs hard and hits hard, yet when it comes to defensive reads or attacking moves, is caught standing still more often than not.
And then we have plays like Vai Toutai batting the ball back in when it was about to go dead in round 3. Only someone who didn't know the rules would have done that.

max. of two can tackle the man with the ball.

that would speed up the game and you would see way more tackle busts

We can't implement a max amount of tacklers rule. It would be softer than the shoulder charge rule and half the players in the defensive line would be second-guessing themselves as to whether they will give away a penalty or not. We could make a rule about coming into tackles. The big plan now is to have two players hold the runner up until they stop moving and a 3rd player take the legs to bring them to ground and have the tacklers get off one by one, thereby making the play-the-ball as long as it can possibly be, leading to boring footy.

I don't mind watching low-scoring, slow games when it's tough footy. But at the moment it's either been slow because of the amount of wrestle (Storm) or slow because of errors (most teams below 5th).

Aragorn

First Grade
That's the key I think. Talent scouts go out and watch junior teams and see the bigger, stronger, faster 12 year old brushing past the little blokes. And so we end up with the players that were big and strong in junior leagues being developed through the NRL system. A reason why there's so many islanders in the NRL system is because they mature faster and at a certain age are so much bigger than the other kids it's not funny.
And so we have players whose soul purpose is to run hard in attack and hit hard in defence, yet don't know what to do in certain situations.
Tony Williams for example, a hopeless winger yet a good backrower. Runs hard and hits hard, yet when it comes to defensive reads or attacking moves, is caught standing still more often than not.
And then we have plays like Vai Toutai batting the ball back in when it was about to go dead in round 3. Only someone who didn't know the rules would have done that.

You lost all credibility after that comment about T Rex.

Aragorn

First Grade
We can't implement a max amount of tacklers rule. It would be softer than the shoulder charge rule and half the players in the defensive line would be second-guessing themselves as to whether they will give away a penalty or not. We could make a rule about coming into tackles. The big plan now is to have two players hold the runner up until they stop moving and a 3rd player take the legs to bring them to ground and have the tacklers get off one by one, thereby making the play-the-ball as long as it can possibly be, leading to boring footy.

I also dont know that I agree with this. two man tackle means the game will be faster, & there will be less wrestling. Although I agree it should eliminate two players wrestling on top while a third goes diving in on the legs.

it will also force coaches to teach their players how to tackle properly and not simply use their size and body weight to wrestle the player to the ground.

no seconding guessing if they are taught to be footballers that know how to read a game play rather than big muscled up atheletes that use their body size to win games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having watched sg ball for the last three seasons it isn't hard to see what clubs look for, size over skill 90% of the time.

newman

First Grade
Having watched sg ball for the last three seasons it isn't hard to see what clubs look for, size over skill 90% of the time.

I'm good mates with an SG Ball coach and he tears his hair out at the lack of "match awareness" that the kids come through with. They can all run hard and tackle hard, but lack the brains to really understand it and coaching it into them is nigh on impossible.

Springs

First Grade
Williams doesn't run or hit hard. He stands still then pushes a few players away. The laziest forward in the game.

He can run/hit hard is what I mean. And he can, he just doesn't most of the time.

I'm good mates with an SG Ball coach and he tears his hair out at the lack of "match awareness" that the kids come through with. They can all run hard and tackle hard, but lack the brains to really understand it and coaching it into them is nigh on impossible.

This is what I mean, size over skill every time. There's some really dumb players that don't seem to even know the rules properly. It's the size that always matters.

Latest posts