What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL cowboys 2011 Thread

Talanexor

Juniors
After that loss to the sharks, I figured it was time to make a thread for next year.

We need to clean out the player roster and go on a spending spree like the bulldogs in 09.

Neil Henry needs a defensive assistant, a skills assistant and a motivation assistant. Attitude is poor, there is no structure in attack and our structure in defence melts 2 passes wide of the ruck. Our general play kicking is pretty much the worst in the comp and our general ball skills are not far off that either.

Here are the players we need to get rid of. Bold players are already confirmed as staying or leaving - I'll update the list as the confirmations come.

Release
Webb
Rovelli
Kaufusi
Manuokafoa
J Williams
Bani
Graham (end of 2011)
Rapira
Harris
Malone
Slyney
Achurch
O'Donnell
Ty Williams

Keep only with a paycut
Bowen
Payne

Re-Sign
Watts
Hogan
Morgan
Thompson
Tamou
Thurston
Mason
Amos

New signings:
Taumata
Winterstein
Tate

Last edited:

elyod138

Bench
My full strength lineup, I'll replace spots where we may possibly purchase another player with the position name.

1. Bowen
2. Tupou/Winger
3. Tate
4. Tonga
5. Winterstein
6. Thurston
7. Thompson
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Prop/Tamou
11. Bolton
12. Mason
13. Hogan

14. Taumata
15. Tamou/Prop
16. L Ah Mau
17. Prop/2nd Rower

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
1. Bowen
2. Ty Williams
3. Tate
4. Tonga
5. Graham
6. Thompson
7. Thurston
8. Tamou
9. Payne
10. Mason
11. Bolton
12. Webb
13. Hogan

14. L Ah Mau
15. Taumata
16. Gallant
17. Southern

Big Pete

Referee
2010 was always going to be a tough year for the Cowboys. Bowen and Payne sustained debilitating injuries that impacted on their abilities and the roster contained some players that had over stayed their welcome.

In saying though, there have been some diamonds in the rough.

The long term future for the Cowboys looks extremely healthy with the Toyota Cup side performing quite well. From the looks of things Pangai, Feldt, Parker-Walshe, Segeyaro, Uhi, Taumololo, Uhi and Ulugia look like prospects and could make their way into the first grade squad next season. While Thompson, Tupou and Morgan have both shown promising signs in first grade.

The signing of Brent Tate is an exciting one. What Tate has lost in speed he's gained in attitude...and if there is one thing that's been missing from the Cowboys since 2007 it's that quality. If he can stay on the paddock I believe he'll more than patch things up on the right hand side.

Winter is also a good young player and he certainly has potential to form a deadly combination with Tonga.

Combine the juniors and signings with the likes of Bowen, Tonga, Thurston, Scott, Payne, Bolton, Mason etc. and you have a promising squad of players who on their day can beat anybody.

However, it's probably too soon to speculate on the Cowboys in 2011. Right now, fans should be concerned about the health and fitness of their players and hope to god none of them suffer anymore severe injuries in the coming months. If the likes of Bowen and Payne can get a full off season under their belts I believe the Cowboys chances will rise by 50%.

Then there is the prospect of more signings, if the Cowboys could sign another young winger or attract a few forwards who can do a NRL standard job then I believe the club's chances of reaching the finals will rise significantly.

Tal, your release list is quite big...

Malone
Slyney
Achurch

Don't deserved to be released. They aren't on all that much and neither of them have received that fair a go in first grade to be judged appropriately.

The rest though...yeah agreed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are the possibilites of Bowen moving to 6, Thurston to 7 and Gallant at fullback?

I haven't seen any Cowboys games yet this year, have only heard some of their games on the radio.

You need some more athletic forwards, they all seem so cumbersome and slow.

Talanexor

Juniors
Bowen's defence has been rubbish. Then again, he's been defending alongside Graham. IMO he needs to be further in field with two solid defensive forwards beside him. At full strength I'd definitely prefer Thompson at pivot.

Big Pete, where did Lockyer defend in the line when he was first moved to five-eighth? And when did Carroll start doing his tackling for him? IMO that's what would need to happen to accomodate Bowen in the halves.

Having said that, I've been impressed with Bowen's attack in the last few games. He's looking better than Thurston with ball in hand - his general play kicking is better and he's managed a couple of try assists.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd go with Taumata at 6, Bowen back at fullback.

It depended really.

At times he'd defend at centre with Hodges inside of him, or he'd be in the middle of Carroll and Hodges. It depended how tired he was.

On Saturday, Bowen was defending at centre...and no it wasn't Ash Graham's fault Bowen couldn't tackle.

Shorty

Staff member
Back to the drawing board, but I didn't expect us to contend this year....it just wasn't happening.
We're obviously still sorting, the positives from this year are that the players are sorting themselves from each other.
It's not a confusion like it was last year and the year before with who deserves to stay in the starting line up and who doesn't.

I think hopefully with a good off season next year may look brighter.

Asedenburns

Juniors
I'd ping off Payne and Bowen, Payne doesnt move we're missing his nippy running. Bowen doesnt run the ball back so that rules out fullback and he cant tackle so he's yet another liability out there at half.
We need a prop yet would probably struggle to attract a name like Snowden, so maybe promote McDonald from the Cutters and look at other reserves to find another Tumou. Mason needs to stay in the backrow

elyod138

Bench
Bowen is a lot better at fullback than Gallant IMO, watch more than just their kick returns.

McDonald is no where near first grade quality yet.

Last edited:

Asedenburns

Juniors
ok who would you rather Billy Slater who is top in kick returns or Bowen who is yet another 5/8? I mean in attack its good to have someone else as a kicking option but when they kick it down our throats and bowen would rather pass it 10m from our try line than run the friken thing of course kick returns are not important

Talanexor

Juniors
Bowen's kick returns frustrate the hell out of me. He wastes about 20m each set - thats an extra 20m the forwards have to make. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to see Bowen given a go in the halves.

Maybe it's just a case of adjusting - Bowen hasn't played a lot in the halves in first grade, he's coming back from some very serious injuries and it took Locky a while to look comfortable at five-eighth. He definitely needs to work on his defence though.

Mind you, if we copied the Broncos and had him defending outside Tate, or between Tate and Hogan, I reckon he'd be fine.

Having said all that I'd still prefer 1. Bowen 6. Thompson 7. Thurston at full strength.

Somebody needs to teach Bowen how to tackle and how to run the ball back.

I wouldn't mind making a play for Slater, I just doubt he'd come to Townsville or if we could fit him under the salary cap (even if we got rid of Bowen and Payne)

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Bowen can definitely tackle ... anyone who has played football would know that. Sure he misses tackles but at his size that will always happen.

Talanexor

Juniors
I'm happy with Bowen staying at five-eighth for the rest of the season. His defence is crap, but it's no worse than Rovelli's and most of Bowen's touches have been good (his long kicking game in particular is far better than Thurston's). I'm willing to sacrifice some defence if it means better kick returns and more involvement in attack from Bowen.

Small halves always get targeted - it's up to the players around them to protect them, which they failed to do.

Big Pete

Referee
Keep Bowen at fullback, move Taumata into five eigth, problem solved.

Side I expect to see for the rest of the season...
1. Matt Bowen
2. Donald Malone
3. Ash Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams/Any other winger
6. Arana Taumata
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. Willie Mason
11. Scott Bolton
12. Dane Hogan
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. Steve Rapira
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. James Tamou

Book it.

BDR

First Grade
You are dreaming Pete. At best:
1. Bowen
2. Tupou
3. Graham
4. Tonga
5. Williams
6. Thompson/Morgan/Taumata (in that order)
7. Thurston

At worst (and much more likely)
1. Gallant
2. Graham
3. Harris/Taumata
4. Tonga
5. Williams
6. Bowen
7. Thurston

FMD I wish Tate and Winterstein were here now so we could f**k off Williams and Graham

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
You are dreaming Pete. At best:

Course I am.

Although you only changed one selection. And I feel as if Malone would do a better job than Tupou who is a backrow if I've ever seen one.