What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The official Parra GF post mortem.

UVU

Juniors
Late penalty didn't cost us but it hurt us. The deer in the headlights moments killed us.[/QUOTE said:
The penalty to Slater in the 76th minute is CORRECT.
After Slater was tackled by Moi Moi around the legs, Slater 'appeared' to have dropped the ball when getting up to play. The Ref blew his whistle and gave a penalty to the Storm.
REASON: Eels player number 14; Kevin Kingston when running back onside, ran past Slater getting up, and accidentally knee-ed Slaters right upper arm, jolting the ball from Slater's grasp. Although it was accidental (Kinston did try to avoid the collision), a penalty had to be given.
Well done to Archer (ref) who saw the incident and made the right decision.
Eels fans, play the incident again and you'll see.

natheel

Coach
Agree with Belly that we were a deer in headlights. In the first 30 mins it seemed that our only attacking tactic was giving it to Jazz. They shut that down pretty easy.

Hayne is not the reason we strung all those games together and made the GF, yet he was seemingly the only go-to man on the 4th or 5th tackle for most of the match. Stupid.

i think we shouldve utilised burt more, they contained hayne and inu well but forgot burts deceptive pace

proud to be an eels fan

the pain is slowly going away and reflecting on what was a great year we as fans have alot to smile about

natheel

Coach
The penalty to Slater in the 76th minute is CORRECT.
After Slater was tackled by Moi Moi around the legs, Slater 'appeared' to have dropped the ball when getting up to play. The Ref blew his whistle and gave a penalty to the Storm.
REASON: Eels player number 14; Kevin Kingston when running back onside, ran past Slater getting up, and accidentally knee-ed Slaters right upper arm, jolting the ball from Slater's grasp. Although it was accidental (Kinston did try to avoid the collision), a penalty had to be given.
Well done to Archer (ref) who saw the incident and made the right decision.
Eels fans, play the incident again and you'll see.

even if kingston kneed it out accidentally it should have gone back on slater for not having the control needed of the ball to keep it

still shouldnt have been a penalty u see that ALOT and even in the first half when i think it was mateo dropped it finchs forearm accidentally knocked mateos arms to jolt the ball yet mateo was penalised for a knock on? hmm yeh ok

mondoro

Juniors
I think overall we were the better team but made a few silly mistakes like when Mateo pushed a pass in our own half which led to a storm try soon after. WE WON THE SECOND HALF 16-13. There were a few dodgy refs calls which if we got those decisions in our favour I think that we would have won because we were playing all over the storm late in the second half. Fui was a playing fantastic, putting his body on the line & was a real inspiration to the rest of the team. Mateo was making breaks at will & Hindmarsh never stopped trying making about 62 takles. Burt & Grothe both had outstanding games & Mortimer tried his heart out.

salvy71

Juniors
Kicking game was terrible .....Slater is vulnerable under the high ball and only copped 2 bombs all game from memory ...dropped 1 of them .
The try to Inglis killed off any chance of momentum once we got to 10-6 .....as Anderson said it gave Melbourne breathing space ....sometimes i wonder if players out there remember that they can tackle players in mid air when defending .....
A sad ending to a phenomenal last 12 weeks ......the boys can be proud of themselves , even last night they fought to the death ....lets hope they use this pain to go 1 step further next year .

yy_cheng

Coach
It was like 2001, we stormed home up until Lowrie's grubber. Another 20 mins, we would've got them.

I still think we were missing a general to organize and control the team.

Jaz plays off the cuff so sometimes it was like the days when we would just throw it to Widders and hopefully his step and dummy would conjur up something.

I thought Cameron smith was awesome and should've won the CC. He just got them rolling.

SCoops

Juniors
I too was disappointed in the crowd.

I was in the "Eels Supporters" section.

I was in bay 116 and I was told to shup up and sit down a few times when I was cheering the boys on. Both in the first and seconded halves.

I was trying to get everyone pumped and cheering and clapping when we made good tackles and small brakes. But everyone around me was very quite.

Cheering the boys on when things are down is the way to lift them to bring them home. Not waiting for them to spark themselves, they play for us the fans, we need to lift them.

We need to do better next year or it will all before nothing.

Coops

Kornstar

Coach
I knew we were gone after the Hoffman try, it was too easy!

I am sure half the crowd knew it too, hence the silence

parra pete

Referee
I really enjoyed catching up with my forum friends, HJ Suity Mickdo and others.
Terrific to put a face to the names. You are passionate about your Club and your team, as is obvious by the posts you make.
BTW ...I stayed at the Ibis Hotel at Homebush Bay. Great location for a Grand Final stay. Just across the Road from the Park.. but is the BIGGEST rip off Hotel, and lowest quality place I have EVER stayed at.

parra pete

Referee
On the game. If Burt converts Moi Moi's try. It is GAME there for the taking,as it takes the field goal option out of the equation...

Blue Bagger 66

Juniors
I'm a little miffed as to why Kingston wasnt introduced into the game immediately after Grothe scored... for mine Keating was ordinary and after Grothe's try there was a definate momentum shift that we did'nt capitalize on... it was at that time we needed speed around the ruck yet it was another 10 minutes before Kinga came on... I can't understand it...

yy_cheng

Coach
He has a very kind face...
The kind you throw stones at....

Pete,

Which one is you?

3983045112_0b6b6fdcd6.jpg

parra pete

Referee
I'm a little miffed as to why Kingston wasnt introduced into the game immediately after Grothe scored... for mine Keating was ordinary and after Grothe's try there was a definate momentum shift that we did'nt capitalize on... it was at that time we needed speed around the ruck yet it was another 10 minutes before Kinga came on... I can't understand it...

I agree with you. Kingston has been a terrific player this year for the Club.
I have heard he will be signed by the Raiders for 2010. Good on him...
PS loved the shirt a bloke was wearing at the GF saying KINGSTON 14 BUCKS A GAME..on the front...and Will Play for Food. Very funny...
Terrific atmosphere

The Preacher

First Grade
As can be seen, I support neither of the grand finalists, and I'd just like to tell you that IMHO the referee decided how the game finished, and I believe Parramatta were denied a chance of continuing the "roll-on" they had, and we would have seen one of the great GF finishes in the history of the game.
I think Fui Fui would have gone close to the Clive Churchill Medal, and considering myself to have a decent idea about the game and players, Joel Reddy must be soooo close to being the most improved and underrated players in the game.
I'm sorry for you supporters the way the game was decided, but if you're true Eels fans, you'll be back next year to support them to go one better.
Cheers,
Preacher.
PS: Hindy is a legend and any rep side picked that doesn't include him has been selected by the Royal Blind Society.

Last edited:

Latest posts