What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ones that got away

Stagger Lee

Bench
Here is a chance to list some of your favourite players that only played a handful of games for the saints before having success at another club. Those sort of players that you think ..... If only they had stayed

Craig Fitzgibbon

Came from the steelers and only played a handful of games for Saints before going to the roosters and international success.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Craig Fitzgibbon

Came from the steelers and only played a handful of games for Saints before going to the roosters and international success.

He was overrated.

It is normally the other way around and the players come to Dragons and achieve success.

I know he played a lot of games for us, but I was sad to see Luke Bailey go. I thought he was going to stick with Young, Hornby, Cooper and co. and play out his career with us :(

I liked Amos Roberts too and thought he could have been great with the right coach and he kinda got away early too.

Minh

First Grade
Yes Amos and also Luke Patten should rate a mention here too. We ended up keeping Amos over Patten and then ended up losing them both in the end and both became better players at their other clubs.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Here is a chance to list some of your favourite players that only played a handful of games for the saints before having success at another club. Those sort of players that you think ..... If only they had stayed

Craig Fitzgibbon

Fitzgibbons was a sook who thought he was better than he actually was.

Good riddance to him.

gypsy

Bench
No he didn't. Hornby grew up playing in the same junior sides as Patten. In fact, in 2000 when Patten was out of form and playing Premier League, Hornby got the nod ahead of him a few times in first grade.

watatank

Coach
What I meant to say was that he became long term fullback after them but I think that may not be correct either because he was fullback and Roberts was on the wing at times. Hornby moved around a lot early in his career, especially when we had problems in the halves with injuries and the like. I'm pretty sure Farrar tried to turn him into a utility player until a spot was eventually found for fullback. Feel free to correct me on that though.

redvwhite

Juniors
Gorden Tallis played more than a handful of games for us but not enough unfortunately. He's not popular with Dragons fans but he had the x factor and was consistently one of the top 3 most valuable players in the world for a few years there.

watatank

Coach
What I meant to say was that he became long term fullback after them but I think that may not be correct either because he was fullback and Roberts was on the wing at times. Hornby moved around a lot early in his career, especially when we had problems in the halves with injuries and the like. I'm pretty sure Farrar tried to turn him into a utility player until a spot was eventually found for fullback. Feel free to correct me on that though.

Rugbyleagueproject.org seems to agree with me.

Hornby played predominantly off the bench and in the halves. Didn't play any fullback until 2002.

Patten lost form and Roberts took his spot for a while, becoming fullback at times in 2000 and then for pretty much all of 2001-02. Hornby became fullback in late 2002 (maybe Roberts got injured) and was fullback for the next few years, shifting to the halves when there was an injury (which was pretty much every year).

watatank

Coach
I remember during Harold Matthews trials the coaches/selectors were telling us about how a young player from the southern highlands came down to trial for the Steelers but got rejected. that player went to Parramatta where he went on to go to represent his state and country, play 300+ games for his club and is now their captain.

Bring back choc

Juniors
It is a shame the Bennett supporters, as opposed to the team supporters, didn't allow their support to follow Wayne up to the Hunter as well :roll:

Who won us a comp mate?

Who set up the systems to allow us to win a comp?

Who brought the players we have been missing for years that won us a comp??

Enough said.

oh.... who didn't sign him to a 5 year contract?

Fingerbang

Bench
Who won us a comp mate?

Who set up the systems to allow us to win a comp?

Who brought the players we have been missing for years that won us a comp??

Enough said.

oh.... who didn't sign him to a 5 year contract?
And here was me thinking the players had something to do with us winning the comp, too. :roll:

The 5 year gripe is a load of crap. Bennett even said at the start of his 3 year term, that he would stay for as long as it took to reach the pinnacle (a premiership). Which tells me he would have looked for another move before the 5 years anyway. Time to move on, bbc. If you aren't happy with the direction the club is going, post Bennett....buy yourself a Knights jersey. We won't miss you.

Latest posts