What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ones that got away

Fingerbang

Bench
And of all those signings Bennett made for us, discards and rejects from other clubs.....how many did you bag out as poor signings because they don't have superstar status?

And what are you going to do if Price and Folkes have a successful first season with the Dragons in 2012? Especially if Vidot or Matthews etc turn out to be good signings? How stupid are you gonna look? Or will you suddenly turn it all around and sing our praises?

Last edited:

gypsy

Bench
And of all those signings Bennett made for us, discards and rejects from other clubs.....how many did you bag out as poor signings because they don't have superstar status?

And what are you going to do if Price and Folkes have a successful first season with the Dragons in 2012? Especially if Vidot or Matthews etc turn out to be good signings? How stupid are you gonna look? Or will you suddenly turn it all around and sing our praises?

I'm not sure rejects is the right word to call some of our past signings.

Jeremy Smith had already played for NZ, and in fact was named NZ's player of the year in 2008, before he came to the Dragons.
Darius Boyd was a former Australian Schoolboys player, GF winner, QLD origin representative and was in the Australian world cup squad before he arrived at the Dragons.
Neville Costigan was an Origin rep long before we got him as well.....

The Lattimore's, Vidot's and Matthews' of the world hardly compare to these 3.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
I'm not sure rejects is the right word to call some of our past signings.

Jeremy Smith had already played for NZ, and in fact was named NZ's player of the year in 2008, before he came to the Dragons.
Darius Boyd was a former Australian Schoolboys player, GF winner, QLD origin representative and was in the Australian world cup squad before he arrived at the Dragons.
Neville Costigan was an Origin rep long before we got him as well.....

The Lattimore's and Matthews' of the world hardly compare to these 3.
I did say DISCARDS and rejects. And Matthews is what....21, 22 years of age? Bit unfair to compare him to Smith and Costigan who are heading towards the end of their careers.

Oh, and you forgot, Weyman, Saffy, Greenfield, Green, Emmett, Tagive, Goodwin.....some huge names among that lot when we signed them.

gypsy

Bench
I did say DISCARDS and rejects..

How many of the three I mentioned were discarded on ability?
There's a difference between someone like Neville getting done DUI or whatever....and someone being not good enough for a club to retain.
Discards and rejects of different sorts.

Fingerbang

Bench
How many of the three I mentioned were discarded on ability?
There's a difference between someone like Neville getting done DUI or whatever....and someone being not good enough for a club to retain.
Discards and rejects of different sorts.
That is the beauty of the salary cap.

Fingerbang

Bench
But that is besides the point, gypsy.....the guy is bagging us out for 2012 recruitment, for not outlaying hundred of thousands of dollars for superstar strike players instead of the no names we have recruited who haven't even been given their chance to star yet. The other names I mention that Bennett recruited....how many raised eyebrows at them when announce? I believe that is when the In Wayne We Trust motto started to get bandied about. How do you know Price and Folkes can't do the same thing with one or two of their signings? Give them a chance at least. They aren't signings that are breaking the bank. I reckon we will get more from our spending than say Tigers will in the half a mill they are paying Blair for 2012.

watatank

Coach
Worth mentioning that the players we have recruited are not without talent...lot of them played junior reps (e.g. Matthews played Aust Schoolboys, Ah Mau was junior Kiwi, Vidot played for QLD, we all know the wraps CStanley had) there's every chance they can be a success story like Weyman (former Aust Schoolboy) was. Rest is up to them and the coaching staff.

gypsy

Bench
But that is besides the point, gypsy.....the guy is bagging us out for 2012 recruitment, for not outlaying hundred of thousands of dollars for superstar strike players instead of the no names we have recruited who haven't even been given their chance to star yet. The other names I mention that Bennett recruited....how many raised eyebrows at them when announce? I believe that is when the In Wayne We Trust motto started to get bandied about. How do you know Price and Folkes can't do the same thing with one or two of their signings? Give them a chance at least. They aren't signings that are breaking the bank. I reckon we will get more from our spending than say Tigers will in the half a mill they are paying Blair for 2012.

Got ya. I'm with you on this one for sure. I'd take 5 Lattimore's and Matthews' before one Blair any day.

I have to admit, I wasn't keen on the Green before we got him, but the big Ranga made me eat my words big time, he was great for us for not much money.

I hope a few of these guys come good for us, in the Steve's we Trust!

Puff

First Grade
Lockyer. The house in Blakehurst and the Friday Press conference said it was so

Puff

First Grade
Honorable mention must go to Luke Felsch. What a great player, went on to greatness. Lee Murphy as well. Two of the greats that were unfortunate not to get rep honours.

gypsy

Bench
Honorable mention must go to Luke Felsch. What a great player, went on to greatness. Lee Murphy as well. Two of the greats that were unfortunate not to get rep honours.

Lee Murphy was solid, but he wasn't in the same league as Shane Laloata or Wise Kativerata.

Last edited:

Latest posts