What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Origin Drivel Thread

Meth

Staff member
I am more disinterested in Origin than I ever have been. The Tamou and Papalii incidents have killed it for me.

LeftRightOut

Juniors
I am more disinterested in Origin than I ever have been. The Tamou and Papalii incidents have killed it for me.

Yep, I feel exactly the same - for the first time in years, I couldn't care less about the game; For me, the Tamou situation killed it - the Papalii business doesn't bother me, but Tamou - well that was sh!thouse on his part and on the part of NSW, and they both lost credibility.
State Of Choice.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Can't wait for Wednesday night

Am a rugby league fan, and it is extremely high level footy

meh

These days the players on show are no better than in a Kiwi v Aussie test, there's just ten times more hype.

You have Maloney and Pearce as the halves for one of the sides ffs

Blair

Coach

I switched from Qld to NSW around about 2011. Qld used to be the underdog and a relatively struggling state financially. Not now.

Origin also has a lot to do with the social side of things. On a wintery June Wednesday night what else is there to do? Not much in my neck of the woods.

You meet up with people on Origin night that you have'nt seen since, well, the last one.

Micistm

Bench
I still enjoy it, although it's on a par IMO with a good NRL round game. It won't be any more intense than that Eagle Storm game a couple of weeks ago for example.
I think the thing that grates is the Aussie media pumping it up that it's better than it's ever been, with Gus's speech etc. I still enjoy it, I'd still like to see one live at some stage...but it isn't as good as some of the earlier epics IMO, with huge D and biff, and sheer passion that boils over. Thats not the players fault though, they can only play to the rules. The sanitisation of the biff and charges etc (While doing the extreme hypocritical thing of using those past hits they are so 'disgusted' with to promote the thing!)has made it a shadow of it's former self. It's still very good league, just not as epic nor anticipated as it once was.
You watch some of the early games, they were brutal. Watch some of todays era, and while good you see a similiar intensity most rounds of NRL IMO

Micistm

Bench
This article is horrible, absolutely horrible. I want to punch something.

http://www.nrl.com/lockyer-joins-greats-in-sound-of-silence/tabid/10874/newsid/72635/default.aspx

:lol:Yes indeed, it's that sort of over the top Aussie BS hype that makes you ask someone to pass the sick bucket. I find the Gus speech under the goalposts every year as cringeworthy as SBWs 'thoughts' as he run onfield personally, though I do know some people like it.
Bottom line- IMO if they just let Origin be as a seperate entity for three games a year and allow it to be as tough as it used to be, the hype wouldn't be required, it'd hype itself

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I enjoy origin, but totally agree that it's ridiculously over-hyped. Every year the same old sh*t does the rounds: Queensland pride and passion, some ridiculous dribble from Tommy Radonikis, people feeling sorry for Nathan Merrit, who's rooming with who in origin camp, people freaking out about some origin hopeful who gets injured a month out, Phil Gould swaggering across the pitch giving his usual dramatic pre-match sermon about what it means to play origin - blah blah blah blah blah.

It is sometimes, but you often also get games that are either one-sided, or they're fairly average quality mistake-fests. I can recall being quite bored for much of game 1 (which fell into the mistake-fest category) and game 2 last year, up until the last 10 - 15 minutes. Game three was closer to living up to the hype, however I've been every bit as absorbed and excited by regular season games and international matches over the years. I like origin, but I sure as hell don't "count the sleeps" until it's on.

It's a shame tests will never have 1% of the hype or interest origin does.

Well, not really :lol: you'll all be watching the pinnacle of the sport on Wednesday :D

Is NZ any closer to our own version to circle jerk over?
Watching the Penrith game vs warriors made me think it could work with Johns born in Tokoroa (south of bombays team) showing up Johnson born in Auckland (north of Bombay's team)

Blair

Coach
Is NZ any closer to our own version to circle jerk over?
Watching the Penrith game vs warriors made me think it could work with Johns born in Tokoroa (south of bombays team) showing up Johnson born in Auckland (north of Bombay's team)

But north of Bombay wouldn't really give a stuff, would they?

Also, with both teams full of Warriors, would we really want these guys smashing into each other in the middle of the season?

Thirty-Three

Juniors
The Kiwis should take their players from the clubs for three training camps during the origin period. Make a further joke of the NRL!

But north of Bombay wouldn't really give a stuff, would they?

Also, with both teams full of Warriors, would we really want these guys smashing into each other in the middle of the season?

It would have to become a stand alone weekend, throw in a Tonga vs cook islands, under 21 etc, you could easily have more than the 4games we have this weekend. It should also be at the end of a shortened NRL comp, but good luck with any of that happening.

Micistm

Bench
NZ Origin sounds great in principle, don't see it ever getting the hype and buzz behind it, unless big name NRL kiwis were included every year, and can't see it happening, all sorts of injury excuses etc popping in.
You just watch some old Origin and it used to be just streets ahead of everything. Occasionally a good Aussie vs Kiwi test would equal it but the Kiwis frustratingly don't front often enough to give those games more hype. Either Origins been watered down or NRL has caught up. IMO it's a bit of both. Doesn't stop the Aussies media still hyping it for all it's worth.

shiznit

Coach
It's a shame tests will never have 1% of the hype or interest origin does.

Well, not really :lol: you'll all be watching the pinnacle of the sport on Wednesday :D

the pinnacle... :lol:

when the likes of SBW, Sam Burgess & James Graham are allowed to compete.... you can call it the pinnacle.

Mitchell Pierce... pinnacle... :lol:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The pinnacle of the sport is on the 1st Sunday in October

For me, I look forward to origin more than tests, don't know when that changed but that is where I am at. I'm looking forward to Wednesday nights match but for the ANZAC test I wasn't even giving it a thought

Meth

Staff member
Up until last year, I followed Origin pretty keenly. Can't be bothered now. Will watch it because it's League on a Wednesday night. Hope Tamou gets his nose spread across his face.

Micistm

Bench
I will still watch, and I will still enjoy, because it will generally be a good game of footy.
Just not 'Gus standing under the posts delivering the it's war' speech good.

I just think back the last few years and try and think of huge standout moments during epic matches. And they all mishmash into each other. A few years earlier, and there were just moments, hits, fights, comebacks and grudge matchups talked about for weeks after.