What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

Seibold is Steve Martin.
Kevvy is Coleman.
Brisbane still need to go through Langmack, Kitinas, McRae, Taylor, Lang…
Then Michael Maguire might be available again in ten years time.
Continue to bleed rising talent and pay overs for trash.
Win 2-4 games a year.
Collect spoons.

Ikin - what actual business experience has he got? It is absolutely LOLworthy.

The days of ranting and pride in the jumper and passion are long gone too.

Mark B

Juniors
Melbourne never had a monopoly on QLD juniors. Teams in their initial seasons were made up of the best of the Reds and Mariners.

C.Smith and Cronk were QLD juniors the Broncos could've had, but overlooked because they weren't considered good enough by them. It supposedly burned the players so bad that it drove them to work hard and succeed when they got their chance in Melbourne.
You are right about the initial make up of the team From 98 to 2001. But the Queensland pathways into the Storm since 2002 has left the Broncos in their dust.

blaza88z

Coach
Has their share value dropped?

I haven't looked and i'm certainly no stock market guru but I wouldn't imagine it would drop, off the field the club is still financially as strong as they've always been.. maybe lost a few memberships but any fan who wants to jump now as the club is fighting to get out of the hole they're in can rightly f**k off and not come back

blaza88z

Coach
That must also mean that Bellamy is staying away from the club, as Brisbane were supposedly targeting him as their coaching director/head of football.

For me, Ikin is a bit of a strange appointment . I mean there is no doubt he is far more articulate than Kevie and knows how to handle the media better, but I'm not sure how we actually helps the club beyond that.

He doesn't have any coaching experience that I know of, or recruitment or pathways or talent ID or salary cap management. He isn't close to player agents, nor even has experience in club land before.

It feels a bit like Steve Price's appointment at the Bulldogs in the same titled role. All it did was create tension at the club and resulted in no improvement.

He was on the Cowboys board for a long time there, independent director with the QRL (he still has this role currently). He's no mug.

His role with the Broncos won't require him to be coaching anyone.

Canard

Immortal

_Johnsy

Referee
The broncos may have finally signed someone useful
I think the transition into being on TV and telling listeners what the various issues are & how to fix them, may be a tad easier than actually comiong up with answers, implementing them & being held accountable for the success of those decisions.

I think he'll do well & wish him all the best , but being a decent tv host doesn't ensure success in the boardroom/management of a football club that are in a massive hole.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Maybe Ikin will turn out to be good. I cannot see into the future.

But the broncos remind me a little of a shit unnamed club based out of an area near the ACT that cause much mental anguish and baldness in the supporter base

because picking an old boy for coach to inspire some passion and putting another one in as director of football is dangerous close to how the family farm works down at the Canberra Rs..... no that is too obvious the C Raiders.

yakstorm

First Grade
He was on the Cowboys board for a long time there, independent director with the QRL (he still has this role currently). He's no mug.

His role with the Broncos won't require him to be coaching anyone.
Agree he is no mug, but the remit of the Head of Football role is extremely different than being a member of a board, even for a sports club, that doesn't mean he can't do the role, just I have concerns.

Historically, when clubs have appointed a head of football, the existing coaching staff will report to them. That may not happen at the Broncos, but either way Ikin will have to work with Walters team and he will most likely hold the budgets around things like who should be in the wider coaching team, how much they get paid, if their fulltime / part time, etc and whether they are attached to the Premiership team or various feeder / development squads.

Again, you don't need to have ever coached to understand these things, but it can help if you have, especially when your head coach is relatively inexperienced as Walters is and follows advice from the likes of the 'coach whisperer'

Mark B

Juniors
Is Ikin still close to Bennett? Could be a strategic appointment to help mend bridges.
Hard one to guess. When Wayne was breaking his own COVID bubble rules in 2020, Ikin was far from the loving son in law with his criticism. Then there is the family break up with Wayne and the mother of Ikin’s wife.

Mark B

Juniors
Has their share value dropped?
I don’t mind playing with the odd share, but the Broncos shares have never been enticing. They are currently around 50 cents each. This has been around their value for a long time. They are certainly no Macquarie Bank.

davi

Juniors
Seibold is Steve Martin.
Kevvy is Coleman.
Brisbane still need to go through Langmack, Kitinas, McRae, Taylor, Lang…
Then Michael Maguire might be available again in ten years time.
Continue to bleed rising talent and pay overs for trash.
Win 2-4 games a year.
Collect spoons.

Ikin - what actual business experience has he got? It is absolutely LOLworthy.

The days of ranting and pride in the jumper and passion are long gone too.

Nathan Brown was given longer to rebuild at the Knights. So was Craig Coleman now you mention it. It does seem unfair if the axe was to fall on Kevin Walters after one season. That's why I think the Coleman comparison is premature and unfair.

Ben Ikin has been given roles as head of football operations, not CEO. I'm pretty sure he's job will be more into the football side of things. So I'm not sure why your mocking his lack of credentials in business makes him a ill advised appointment.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
Nathan Brown was given longer to rebuild at the Knights. So was Craig Coleman now you mention it. It does seem unfair if the axe was to fall on Kevin Walters after one season. That's why I think the Coleman comparison is premature and unfair.

Ben Ikin has been given title of football operations, not CEO. I'm pretty sure he's job will be more into the football side of things. So I'm not sure why your mocking his lack of credentials in business makes him a ill advised appointment.

I wouldn't read too much into it mate, the last thing opposition fans wants is a Brisbane Broncos revival and Donaghy has been at the club for barely a month and is already making some big decisions and more importantly I think they're the right decisions.

Maybe having some new faces around the club will be enough to start to give players a new reason to have a bit of a go, knowing that nobody is safe.

Actually, I do want a Broncos revival.

But RL is cyclical. And you had 30 years of success. This is your turn to go down for a while.

I just don’t think Kevin was your best bet. And you’ve got to realise that the past is the past. Move on, revitalise etc.

Latest posts