What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The player pool depth debate

Stallion

First Grade
I only played in the under 12s myself so what?

Why would union like that approach?
And why would what union thinks have any baring on what RL does?

A fundamental rule to change from 13 players would have the code that is doing its best to minimise rugby league even more joy. They would be in ruptures. Laughing at a code that has found the best version of rugby but want to change the proven superior version.

T-Boon

Coach
A fundamental rule to change from 13 players would have the code that is doing its best to minimise rugby league even more joy. They would be in ruptures. Laughing at a code that has found the best version of rugby but want to change the proven superior version.

I think the best version of rugby would be where there is more space laterally for skilful backs and a lot of passing and less wrestle and "bomb sets" and more unpredictability.
If anything Rugby is probably laughing that we now have similar problems that they have with clustered rucks, clustered defensive lines...and referees needing to hand out the attacking opportunities.

mongoose

Coach
I think 12 a side is worth experimenting with, I think 11 will change the game too much, make it more like touch footy. i think 12 a side will open it the game up enough to notice a difference.

Stallion

First Grade
There isn't enough space now even for a RL backline. Hardly any line breaks and to create any space at all you have to run dubious decoys everywhere. 11 aside would look way more like how the founding fathers of the game wanted it to be played.
Look at rugby. From the outside looking in it is as obvious as the nose on the face that Rugby has way to many players on the field (15) but the people on the inside disagree because they are too close and emotionally involved.
The same applies to RL, the RL fan needs to have a look in from the outside every now and then. We aren't bound to the old ways the same way RU is.

Nope. Scrums and a backline with the strategies involved with those facets are good part of rugby league. They need maintaining. Would like to see a bit more latitude in manouvering/scrumaging rules (ie: screwing the scrum etc)of recent times though.

tri_colours

Juniors
I think 12 a side would open the game up . The game is to defence orientated. Coaches and defences are just to good .

If you had less defenders you wouldn't be seeing 3 or 4 men in a tackle .

League has been making rule changes for over 100 years, so how is that an issue?

The scrum is just an eye-sore - a time waster. The only purpose it serves in its present form is to give the big blokes a rest.

T-Boon

Coach
Nope. Scrums and a backline with the strategies involved with those facets are good part of rugby league. They need maintaining. Would like to see a bit more latitude in manouvering/scrumaging rules (ie: screwing the scrum etc)of recent times though.

You can still have scrums with 11 aside. There would just be more space. 6 man scrum, 5 man backline. Gold.
I mean, the main argument for keeping scrums is that it creates space for backs, but going to 11 aside does that better and the space exists for the whole set of possession rather than just the first tackle.
Additionally, the reality is that since the inception of the 10 metre rule coaches have not bothered taking advantage of the space scrums create because it is just safer and smarter to take the hit up. Which they basically always do.
Good rugby league would be space laterally with less space going straight ahead in the form of the 10m neutral zone (make it 5m).

greenBV4

Bench
The main thing new/non fans of league seemed to be confused about and don't see the point of when watching a game is the scrum. It's been made redundant in its current form in our game, and personally I think it would be a positive to see it removed/replaced. Like mentioned it only really exists to allow the big blokes a rest, remove this opportunity and teams have to be more smart with interchanges, and attacking players are represented with more opportunities, which equals a better game to watch.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The main thing new/non fans of league seemed to be confused about and don't see the point of when watching a game is the scrum. It's been made redundant in its current form in our game, and personally I think it would be a positive to see it removed/replaced. Like mentioned it only really exists to allow the big blokes a rest, remove this opportunity and teams have to be more smart with interchanges, and attacking players are representing with more opportunities, which equals a better game to watch.

Dissagree. The 7 on 7 works well and attacking moves are still used off scrums these days!

27EELS

Juniors
The Talent Pool is too small ? Lolz what a load of bollocks , Who made that up Brisbane , Melbourne and the Roosters ??? There is more than enough Talent here and the rest of Oceania plus the Rugby League Boom that’s about to happen around the World which should sustain it in the future if they do things right that is ?

Stallion

First Grade
The Talent Pool is too small ? Lolz what a load of bollocks , Who made that up Brisbane , Melbourne and the Roosters ??? There is more than enough Talent here and the rest of Oceania plus the Rugby League Boom that’s about to happen around the World which should sustain it in the future if they do things right that is ?

Absolutely. And when new additional clubs are planned , new and increased junior numbers occur!

Springs09

Juniors
The main thing new/non fans of league seemed to be confused about and don't see the point of when watching a game is the scrum. It's been made redundant in its current form in our game, and personally I think it would be a positive to see it removed/replaced. Like mentioned it only really exists to allow the big blokes a rest, remove this opportunity and teams have to be more smart with interchanges, and attacking players are represented with more opportunities, which equals a better game to watch.

NRL is not the only form of rugby league and the sport doesn't just exist for TV viewers.

greenBV4

Bench
NRL is not the only form of rugby league and the sport doesn't just exist for TV viewers.
Obviously a change that big wouldnt make sense to only be at NRL level, itd need to be brought in by the RLIF

Its not just TV either, its the boringest part of watching a game live, either get it back to how it used to be or get rid of it entirely, its been made redundant in the current game

Stallion

First Grade
Obviously a change that big wouldnt make sense to only be at NRL level, itd need to be brought in by the RLIF

Its not just TV either, its the boringest part of watching a game live, either get it back to how it used to be or get rid of it entirely, its been made redundant in the current game

The biggest issue for the on field look of tv at the game and watching on tv is the overuse of the bunker.It's negatively impacting on viewer and fan experience of the game way more than the scrum. Btw the scrum allows for 7 on 7 formation and that creates different means and ways of attack and defence.

greenBV4

Bench
The biggest issue for the on field look of tv at the game and watching on tv is the overuse of the bunker.It's negatively impacting on viewer and fan experience of the game way more than the scrum. Btw the scrum allows for 7 on 7 formation and that creates different means and ways of attack and defence.

Agree on the bunker, more and more tries seem to go straight to the bunker than ever before

tri_colours

Juniors

But how often do we see good attacking move coming from a scrum? maybe two or three times a month if were lucky. How many extra attacking moves would we see if we had 8 to 10 extra minutes in every game with 12 blokes on the field and tired forwards.

I do agree with you on player depth , and don't see that as an issue.

Our game has always prided itself on being the running game. It's one of the reason our game has always been so much better than Rugby and the other stop start codes. But nowadays defence, momentum and the referee's whistle play far to big a role.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree, ditch scrums and have a quick tap turn over. Open the game up and get it faster to give the skilled players the space away from the 120kg monsters. Only two men in the tackle as well and refs to control the time and when shout held they have to release straight away. Id also do away with kicking to touch for a penalty and have a quick tap restart at point of penalty.

Springs09

Juniors
Totally agree, ditch scrums and have a quick tap turn over. Open the game up and get it faster to give the skilled players the space away from the 120kg monsters. Only two men in the tackle as well and refs to control the time and when shout held they have to release straight away. Id also do away with kicking to touch for a penalty and have a quick tap restart at point of penalty.

That would be a total mess.

Stallion

First Grade
But how often do we see good attacking move coming from a scrum? maybe two or three times a month if were lucky. How many extra attacking moves would we see if we had 8 to 10 extra minutes in every game with 12 blokes on the field and tired forwards.

I do agree with you on player depth , and don't see that as an issue.

Our game has always prided itself on being the running game. It's one of the reason our game has always been so much better than Rugby and the other stop start codes. But nowadays defence, momentum and the referee's whistle play far to big a role.

Glad you agree that the depth is there. However the scrum is still a crucial and important part of rugbyleague. For instance I had some school boys playing two handed Touch rugby-league last Friday with a 3 man scrum being part of the game . The kids loved it!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Glad you agree that the depth is there. However the scrum is still a crucial and important part of rugbyleague. For instance I had some school boys playing two handed Touch rugby-league last Friday with a 3 man scrum being part of the game . The kids loved it!

Why?

If we aren't actually having real scrums anyway what's the point of having them at all, we may as well get rid of them because they're just a massive waste of time. I mean when was the last time you saw a proper scrum in a RL game, because I can't remember the last time a saw a real seriously contested scrum in a RL game.

I would love to see a club get taught by a Union team how to pack a scrum properly, then show up to a game and pack one properly just to see how the other team and the refs react, because I reckon that they wouldn't know how to react and you'd end up with the team that actually tried to do it properly being penalised like when a few years back we were seeing teams penalised for pushing in scrums.