What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "PLEASE Brian, sign a halfback" Thread

League_God

Juniors
im curious as to see how many people on here can see that our number one priority on or off the field should be to sign a halfback asap.
think about it...if we were to sign a decent halfback with some experience, mid-season..our team looks so much better, mullen to 5/8 (chiming in simply when he wants to) and rogers and dureau both there to cover injuries only. i am confident that with tolar and patto coming back in the team not to mention mcmanus/vuna (for me id rather vuna get the other wing spot)..we are genuine premiership contenders

Last edited:

The Smokey

Juniors
Yes we need one! Badly
Who would be good enough, cheap and want to come here??
Options:

Brett Finch
Matt Head
Tim Smith
Liam Foran
Ben Hunt
Blake Green
Jeff Robson
Josh Lewis

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I wouldnt want to sign Matt head. His best asset is his kicking game and that is one of mullens best strengths. We need an organising half (which dureau is good at), yet is able to produce the big plays consistently.

Alex28

Coach
Premiership winning teams (bar the Knights because our halfback was just that good) generally have a class 1-6-7-9 - we have a class 1-6-9.

Without a decent halfback we won't win a premiership. Simple.

macavity

Referee
Premiership winning teams (bar the Knights because our halfback was just that good) generally have a class 1-6-7-9 - we have a class 1-6-9.

Without a decent halfback we won't win a premiership. Simple.

yeah, Shane Perry was so cash.... :sarcasm:

Karmawave

Bench
lol@ jeff robson, poor man's Dureau IMO

Exactly.

The bottom rung of NRL halfbacks - all cut from the same ilk.

Robson, Dureau, Porter, Herbert, Rovelli,

They can almost have their own little group - Almost NRL Standard Halfback ( But Solid Fill Ins ) Club

Oh gee Macca, bringing up Perry. That's one crap half who won a comp in the last how many years? Check the players around him. Do we have that at the Knights?

I wouldnt want to sign Matt head. His best asset is his kicking game and that is one of mullens best strengths. We need an organising half (which dureau is good at), yet is able to produce the big plays consistently.

I dont want head either we already have two underperforming mediocre halfbacks. However IMO Mullens kicking game is sh*thouse.

Karmawave

Bench
Brent Sherwin won one too.... :sarcasm:

At least Sherwin was a rep player ( City ), performed consistently in the finals, and should have won the Dally M the year Andrew Johns won it after Joey got points in a game he was sent off in ( which led to Dally M rule changes ) :lol:

I'd take a Brent Sherwin at the peak of his career as Knights halfback any day of the week!

perverse

Referee
lol.. the peak of sherwins career could only be measured in nano-seconds. kind of like terry campese really...

Karmawave

Bench
lol.. the peak of sherwins career could only be measured in nano-seconds. kind of like terry campese really...

For sure.

At least they had some kinda peak. A peak far beyond which anyone remotely close to playing in the Knights jersey will ever have.

What would be the problem in having a Campese/Sherwin kinda player peak for a year or so and win a competition? :lol:

I actually rated Sherwin high. At his best he was very, very good. His attitude and commitment was his only downfall ( especially his commitment to training/weight ) - not talent.

Yosh

Coach
Dunno about anyone on that list, seoiusly not one of them is CONSIDERABLY better then Dureau. Like I will admit Dureau hasnt been up to scratch lately but none of them is the solution imo.

perverse

Referee
in terms of the list above... they range from completely unproven, to no considerable upgrade on what we have... all bar tim smith and finchy that is. those 2 i would happily have at the club.... although we likely can't match their market value.

so, then, we're back to where we started. with a topsy turvy, pint sized half-back... a potentially world class 5/8th/good first grade halfback... and an even more topsy turvy 5/8th who can be world class one minute, and under 6 class the next minute.

antonius

Coach
I dont want head either we already have two underperforming mediocre halfbacks. However IMO Mullens kicking game is sh*thouse.
Exactly, everyone rants on about how good it is, it is very, very average IMO, he makes as many clangers kicking the ball as Rogers, and Kidley, I'd rate Dureau above all of them in the kicking dept. Sure he's put a couple out on the full going for 40/20's (no more than wonder boot) but in general his kicks have purpose and variety. Mullen produces the odd decent kick, but usually they are nothing kicks.

perverse

Referee
also agree that mullens kicking game is pretty average. he has the ability to put on a good kick, but also has some terrible clangers. when is the last time our team had a good kick for touch anyway? how bloody few grubbers to the in goal for a repeat set do we ever come up with? mullens running and passing games are his strengths, not his kicking game.

Some of the kicks from Mullo and Rogers quite simply didnt make sense, Smith had to be very unhappy as according to the commentry team they were supposed to work there way to a win..... Instead it seemed every 2nd set they went for the miracle 1%'er instead of going for a repeat set and building pressure.

Pika

Bench
Not in the second half though.

We kicked on tackle three in the very first set.

Nothing 1% about that conservative play.

General Knight

Juniors
I don't know who the commentators are during Knights games but they end up blowing a massive jizz everytime Mullen does a good kick. It hillarious how they go on about it.

Latest posts