What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Premier' Premiers...

brokendigit

Juniors
In a hypothetical match-up, which of the Premiers of the last 5 years would come out on top, & in which order?

Bulldogs
Penrith
Syd Roosters
Newcastle
Brisbane

My picks are;
  1. Brisbane 2000
  2. Bulldogs 2004
  3. Roosters 2002
  4. Newcastle 2001
  5. Penrith 2003
& if your memory stretches back that far, how about the last 10 years?
Melbourne
Brisbane
1997 SL
Brisbane
1997 ARL
Newcastle
Manly-Waringah
Sydney Bulldogs

Mr Saab

Referee
since 1990 i would say this

1998 broncos
1994 raiders
1996 eagles
1992 Broncos
2001 Knights
2004 Dogs

perverse

Referee
1. Knights 2001 (parramatta were completely unbeatable if i recall)
2. Penrith 2003 (i just cannot go past sattlers tackle, penrith would have done ANYTHING to win that game)
3. Bulldogs 2004 (just so i could put the roosters at #4)
4. Roosters 2002 (just so i could put the brisbane 2000 at #5)
5. Brisbane 2000 (the 2000 grand final was extremely lacklustre and boring... being at that game was like having teeth pulled, had nothing on the atmosphere and experience of the others... a very poor grand final)

the only 2 i can safely say without bias are penrith deserves either first or second, and brisbane well and truely deserves 5th, neither team in that grand final looked like they could beat any side with a little bit of passion.

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse...its not about the game on the day, it is about the team as a whole throighout the yr.
Sure the 2000 GF was as boing as i have ever seen (this from a broncos fan) but the team as a whole was very good.
But, its your opinion.

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
perverse...its not about the game on the day, it is about the team as a whole throighout the yr.
Sure the 2000 GF was as boing as i have ever seen (this from a broncos fan) but the team as a whole was very good.
But, its your opinion.
it wasn't really specified i guess... i generally always judge a premier by their Grand Final performance.. it's where the true character of the team finally becomes visible for everyone to see, when everything is on the line. sure the year leading up to it is vital as well, as is all the finals leadup to get there . but people remember winners, they remember premiers. this is what every team in the comp plays for, this one game. the great teams stand up and get counted.

the way i read this thread, we are trying to compare who would win a grand final between the premiers from these dates, and i think my list reflects what i feel a team needs to win a grand final. the broncos were a great team in 2000, but as i said if either team had a bit of passion in that game, the broncs would probably rate up the list a bit higher.

Mr Saab

Referee
that is true re GF day, but the lead up is also crucial. For example look at these teams....

Canberra 1989 had to win their last 8 games straight in order to make the 8 and then win it all from 4th
Brisbane 1993 won from 5th place
Canterbury 1995 won from 6th and beat the dragons, broncos, raiders and eagles to win it all.

From 1990.

As much as I love the knights no team has had the auro of invincibility at different times then the Raiders, Roosters and especially the bronco's who where just that damn good......

Following that the Bulldogs/Seaeagles/Knights each had their runs.

Could have but failed to where the Dragons.... Choked at GF's.
Panthers, needed a strong season to follow and havent had it in the past two.
Same with Melbourne.

thuganomics

Coach
1994 Raiders team was possibly the best EVER club team.

But in the last 5 years I would go with:

Broncos 00
Knights 01
Panthers 03
Bulldogs 04
Roosters 02

pantherz9103

First Grade
Knight82 said:
From 1990.

As much as I love the knights no team has had the auro of invincibility at different times then the Raiders, Roosters and especially the bronco's who where just that damn good......

Following that the Bulldogs/Seaeagles/Knights each had their runs.

Could have but failed to where the Dragons.... Choked at GF's.
Panthers, needed a strong season to follow and havent had it in the past two.
Same with Melbourne.

Most Panther fans would still consider finishing preliminary finalists in 2004 a strong season. It's 2005 that's been Sh!T!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Since 1990, id rate them in this fashion:

1. 1994 Raiders - the single best team ive seen running around in my life time

2. 1998 Broncos - the only team IMO that could hold a candle to the 1994 Raiders team, what a match up that would have been

3. Daylight

4. 2003 Panthers - where they came from to win that premiership and on the back of the local talent. Sensational stuff. One of the great attacking teams in recent history.

5. 2002 Roosters - feirce defencive unit that was easily the bench mark of the competition all year long.

6. 2001 Knights - The parramatta team was thought to be unbeatable and the charactor shown by this team was awesome.

weasel

First Grade
Of the last five premiers, I'd say Knights 2001 were the best, although more reliant on one player than any of the other five. One of the best attacking sides ever and featured Johns in his prime, and overcame the seemingly invincible Parramatta side of that year in the GF. Second, Dogs 04; third, broncos '00. Fourth, Roosters, '02; I honestly think their sides in 2003 and 2004 were stronger. Last, Panthers '03. Had a lot of points in them but could be brittle in defence at times, and many of the players who had golden runs to lead them to the title have failed to reproduce that form since then, which makes one wonder whether they were one season wonders.

I think in the last 5 years....Penrith was the really special team of the bunch.

They just had that X Factor that the other teams in my opinion dont have.

They were young, but they played like they had all of the experience in the world.

NO situation over awed them. Big games, Grand Finals....supposedly better opponents....when it was the crunch situation and someonboys blinked, it was never Penrith.

They played in my opinion the toughest opponents on the way to the title. A good Brisbane side, a top class Warriors side and the Roosters at their very peak.

They played their very best football in the biggest games.

They just refused to give up.

They were not the side as far as numbers go. But put the 2003 panthers up against the other four Premership winning side....and it would be a brave man to say they would have allowed themselves to be beaten.

perverse

Referee
nospam49™ said:
I think in the last 5 years....Penrith was the really special team of the bunch.

They just had that X Factor that the other teams in my opinion dont have.

They were young, but they played like they had all of the experience in the world.

NO situation over awed them. Big games, Grand Finals....supposedly better opponents....when it was the crunch situation and someonboys blinked, it was never Penrith.

They played in my opinion the toughest opponents on the way to the title. A good Brisbane side, a top class Warriors side and the Roosters at their very peak.

They played their very best football in the biggest games.

They just refused to give up.

They were not the side as far as numbers go. But put the 2003 panthers up against the other four Premership winning side....and it would be a brave man to say they would have allowed themselves to be beaten.
well said and i love your logic. i think a knights 2001 vs. panthers 2003 grand final in a hypothetical world would be an amazing match of football.

Mr Saab

Referee
one thing is for sure perverse is that total points would have been 70 + as neither team could defend!

brokendigit

Juniors
I'm surprised that no-one has ever programmed a hypothetical 'All-time' League competion (maybe they have & I missed it?).

They've done it before with All-time cricket sides in a Test Series, & the outcome is always a good talking point...

In my opinion, the Canberra sides of 89/90 & Brisbane of 92 would've overcome most of the more recent Premiers...

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
one thing is for sure perverse is that total points would have been 70 + as neither team could defend!
in a normal club match during the year, lol no doubt... but in the GF the knights defence... particularly in the first half was stupidly good. actually i think both teams aimed up pretty good defensively in the respective GF.

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
:lol: fair call sabb, i would have predict a narrow 36-32 win by the 03 panthers
to bring it to a 68 point game? lol saab wouldn't have been a happy punter that day :D