What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The press conference

Loudstrat

Coach
Sorry Storm Chaser - you cannot say they deserved the premierships when they clearly cheated to get them.

Now that the findings are out - lets see the NRL bare it's teeth. I cannot see how they can issue more fines, but they do have the power to register/deregister contracts and grant/deny manager accreditations. The managers and players have acted terribly and thumbed their nose at the game. I recall the pressure the NRL exerted upon Canterbury players during the police investigation over coffs harbour scandal.

The NRL now needs to hold the parties accountable to the integrity of the game. The conduct of just about everyone at that club has been atrocious, with only Bellamy and Vaile showing the required conduct.

Fui!!!

Juniors
IN courts of law? Yes we most certainly do.

In the court of public opinion? No. The presumption of innocence, just like the rules of evidence bear little to no weight with the general public in their analysis. Guilt by ommission is quite a easy conclusion to reach

Probably, but I doubt the players give a sh*t about public opinion.

In any case, my reply was in relation to Gallop apparently not taking a hard enough stance against players.

Parra

Referee
Try your presumption of innocence next time you want to contest a parking fine, or a speeding offence. You do realise your speed or blood alcohol levels can be tested randomly don't you? There is no presumption of innocence in many parts of the law.

Even in rugby league you only ever see this presumption for serious crimes - rape, gbh, sexual assault.

Ask Dane Tilse, Tim Smith or Todd Carney how your presumption works for more mundane issues.

does anyone else suspect the real reason news did their own investigation was just so they could get the details before anyone else and cash in by feeding them to their own papers?

Fein

First Grade
does anyone else suspect the real reason news did their own investigation was just so they could get the details before anyone else and cash in by feeding them to their own papers?

I believe the term they use these days is "crisis management".

:whistle:whistle:whistle

joseph1

Juniors
They cant deregister players now coz it would stuff up the whole season of 2010. I think thats why Gallop is no pissed off. But hell get them in some other way. And the players have now confirmed years of hatred and suspicion upon themselves. How do you queenslanders feel having 4 cheats running your
origin team? Would be hard to have them as my heroes
if they were nsw. And also i hope the clubs i support DONT sign any of this lot. Screw them. Clear
your name entirely or go overseas so we dont have to watch you.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
YES!! Finally...
Not only to sell newspapers & make money but to control the final info that is released & to cover their own a**e.
If you were a player or Storm employee would you give them anything to use (innocent or guilty)? Did anyone also notice that News Ltd come off as the 'hero' in all of this? Standing behind Storm to rebuild the club, etc...I'm not disputing the audit findings but they're hardly hard on facts - being based on what they could make out from what info they had access to. Lots of assumptions & little substance.
Could be a lot worse but will we ever know how come News ltd did not pick this up in the past 5 years? How do you run a multi-billion dollar business and not know this stuff? A group of not very clever people can pull the wool over your eyes?
If I was a conspiracist (?) I would almost think it was all orchestrated. Not the rorting but the prolonged period & the leaking of info once it was discovered, Gallop a pawn, etc. Waldron was a News Ltd employee ffs. Give us a break...

user_nat

Coach
. How do you queenslanders feel having 4 cheats running your
origin team? Would be hard to have them as my heroes
if they were nsw. And also i hope the clubs i support DONT sign any of this lot. Screw them. Clear
your name entirely or go overseas so we dont have to watch you.

Doesn't bother me. They didn't cheat for QLD.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
No I don't think so mate, News being part owners they would have got the results from the auditors first anyway.
And it wasn't their own investigation, Delloitte's are an independent organisation. Yeah but the investigation was paid for by News LTD.

No I don't think so mate, News being part owners they would have got the results from the auditors first anyway
not first they would have got the results at the same time as the nrl who would have released the details to everyone not just news
And it wasn't their own investigation, Delloitte's are an independent organisation. Yeah but the investigation was paid for by News LTD.
and as news paid for the investigation they would have got ongoing progress reports with details of what information deloittes had found so far which is where the new info news has been getting for the last month has come from

manly40gimps0

Juniors
not first they would have got the results at the same time as the nrl who would have released the details to everyone not just news

and as news paid for the investigation they would have got ongoing progress reports with details of what information deloittes had found so far which is where the new info news has been getting for the last month has come from

No, but News has had the results for the past week.

Yeah I tend to agree with you on that one.

Loudstrat

Coach
YES!! Finally...
Not only to sell newspapers & make money but to control the final info that is released & to cover their own a**e.
So what? They could have easily have covered all this up with their control of club and code. They didn't -and left themselves open to the type of criticism you produces. OK - maybe they headed off the story being a Fairfax scoop - doesn't matter. They have dealt with it openly and honestly and for that Hartigan and Gallop must be congratulated.
If you were a player or Storm employee would you give them anything to use (innocent or guilty)?
FFS if they are my employee and paying the bills - even making me rich? OF COURSE I WOULD. It's called integrity. If I are innocent there would be no hesitation. If I was guilty I'd have compromised my integrity and be the type of person that would evade the audit.
Did anyone also notice that News Ltd come off as the 'hero' in all of this?
Are you suggesting the real heroes are the Storm board and the greedy players with their bloody snouts in the trough ffs?????

You'd cheer on Ivan Milat!!!

Standing behind Storm to rebuild the club, etc...I'm not disputing the audit findings but they're hardly hard on facts - being based on what they could make out from what info they had access to.
And whos fault is that? You blaming News Ltd because Smith, Inglis etc suddenly went into hiding from Deliotte?

Could be a lot worse but will we ever know how come News ltd did not pick this up in the past 5 years? How do you run a multi-billion dollar business and not know this stuff? A group of not very clever people can pull the wool over your eyes?
I would love for this question to be answered. One day Roy masters will air it in one of his complex money trail articles.
If I was a conspiracist (?) I would almost think it was all orchestrated. Not the rorting but the prolonged period & the leaking of info once it was discovered, Gallop a pawn, etc. Waldron was a News Ltd employee ffs. Give us a break...
Again, what do you f*cking expect? How the friggin hell can you be so dumb as to blame News Ltd when the rampant corruption has all come from the storm??????

Are you seriously that bloody dumb???????

**Cough**Inglis**Cough**

joseph1

Juniors

And making a mockery of 4 years of nrl, wasting all the players and fans time, money, and interest possibly intentionally doesnt bother you about those four players? (acting on a presumtion since their names havent been cleared). The police may do them for fraud if evidence is found to this effect, and if theyre deregistered QLD will be looking alot weaker next year. The names of storm players are mud to me until they clear their names completely.

Loudstrat

Coach
Inglis only plays for QLD because of his Storm contract. Plus Cam Smith was Titans bound before the extras kicked in.

Inglis playing for NSW and Smith playing for the Titans - and maybe Friend at the Cowpats - you reckon that doesn't change the comp and Origin?