What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pride thread šŸŒˆ

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So ā€œIā€™m going to the drag races on Saturday nightā€ is more likely to be mistaken for NOT going to eastern creek ? Bullshit.

You bunch of bitter old farts need to get a life instead of making shit up because the world isnā€™t quite turning out the way you like it.
Are you perhaps bitter that not every merkin wants to celebrate mental illness?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Captain Noble knows what they're doing. They might be brave, but a government employee in 2023 doesn't need courage to do this. Brave is any merkin who might suggest the military isn't the place for expressing one's individuality.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Captain Noble knows what they're doing. They might be brave, but a government employee in 2023 doesn't need courage to do this. Brave is any merkin who might suggest the military isn't the place for expressing one's individuality.

its 2023, it would be brave not to do it

T-Boon

Coach

T.S Quint

Coach

You've mentioned that you were in the military.
Was there nothing that set you apart from anyone else in there? Did you all follow the same footy team? Like the same music and movies?

Would those things not form your individuality and you could express them as you wanted?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You've mentioned that you were in the military.
Was there nothing that set you apart from anyone else in there? Did you all follow the same footy team? Like the same music and movies?

Would those things not form your individuality and you could express them as you wanted?
Nobody stands out for following a sporting team. But if you tried to wear your team's jersey instead of your uniform you would stand out for the wrong reason and you would be in breach of the DFDA. Doing your own thing is the opposite of the team first mentality they want in the ADF. Showing the world how special you are is for after work and weekends, and the only acceptable way to stand out is to excel at your job. Anything else and you are making yourself the centre of attention to the detriment of the team. I say this as someone who always was a bit different. If I hadn't been an excellent soldier I would've probably had a hard time in the Army, and rightly so. If you want special treatment, go and work for Google.

Doing your own thing is the opposite of the team first mentality they want in the ADF.
Which is why Captain Noble was rightly described as extremely brave in their actions, apparently leading to positive changes.
I say this as someone who always was a bit different. If I hadn't been an excellent soldier I would've probably had a hard time in the Army, and rightly so. If you want special treatment, go and work for Google.
In what ways were you different? Why would those ways have resulted in you having a (rightfully?) hard time in the Army? And how might (unwanted) special treatment have been of benefit in a different employment setting?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which is why Captain Noble was rightly described as extremely brave in their actions, apparently leading to positive changes.
Captain Noble is an officer, not a soldier. They are in a position of privilege, and also balls deep in Western bureaucratic culture, so no, there is no courage required to do that.
In what ways were you different? Why would those ways have resulted in you having a (rightfully?) hard time in the Army? And how might (unwanted) special treatment have been of benefit in a different employment setting?
I am an introvert who strongly prefers working alone so idiots can't ruin my shit. Putting the team first meant actively suppressing this preferred method of working, though I was fortunate enough to spend the majority of my career in an environment where small teams were the norm and there was plenty of opportunity to work alone.

British-Army-Chef-Range-Stew-Field-Kitchen-1.jpg

Captain Noble is an officer, not a soldier. They are in a position of privilege, and also balls deep in Western bureaucratic culture, so no, there is no courage required to do that.
Ah, fair enough. Captain Noble is not field-based... which I guess (sadly) would require a different type of bravery to openly promote diversity.

I am an introvert who strongly prefers working alone so idiots can't ruin my shit. Putting the team first meant actively suppressing this preferred method of working, though I was fortunate enough to spend the majority of my career in an environment where small teams were the norm and there was plenty of opportunity to work alone.

British-Army-Chef-Range-Stew-Field-Kitchen-1.jpg
Any catering/recipe tips?

Can't really argue with Ian's take.

Ian Roberts says the Manly rainbow jersey controversy achieved nothing and a lack of action from the NRL in the areas of diversity and inclusivity is a ā€œreal kick in the gutsā€.

It is a year since the game was turned on its head when seven Manly players refused to wear a ā€œpride-themedā€ jumper. The players objected on religious grounds, resulting in considerable public backlash. The fallout was a major contributor to the clubā€™s campaign unravelling: the Sea Eagles lost their final seven games of the regular season and missed the finals. The controversy also played a key role in the demise of coach Des Hasler, who was sacked in October.

Roberts ā€“ still the only openly gay player in NRL history ā€“ was vocal at the time and has responded to inquiries from this column.
ā€œI donā€™t like being the spokesman on all this, but I guess someone has to say something and say it like it is,ā€ he said. ā€œA year down the track and I really have to wonder why I stuck my neck out on it at all. I am really disappointed in the lack of progress that has been made in this area by the game.

ā€œItā€™s back to square one at best. It may be worse because we went through the entire conversation and the Manly club went through so much and what has changed? Where is a pride round?
ā€œThe lack of action in that area is a real kick in the guts for anyone who was impacted by what the game went through. The game is clearly afraid of offending its religious players, and I know there are a lot of them. But their view counts for more [than others].

ā€œWhat message does this send to sports stars or the average person who is struggling with their sexuality or struggling for acceptance? There was talk of a respect round; thatā€™s not something Iā€™d endorse ahead of a pride round that is all about inclusion for everyone.
ā€œItā€™s upsetting that I have to keep talking about this, but I suppose I feel a sense of responsibility because if I donā€™t, who will?

ā€œI feel like there is far greater acceptance in the womenā€™s game, so my message to men who are still living in a world where they are treated differently for being gay is simple ā€“ donā€™t let the haters get to you, and live your life.ā€

Latest posts