What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The real World Game

iggy plop

First Grade
rugged said:
I want to know why those attacking union (league people) always mention as their main faults two things that union has in common with what is usually their second favourite sport.

They point to the lack of union's domestic competition ie club rugby.

They also say that union is boring.

Well what about cricket? They do have a national comp which is fairly popular and a huge international competition (not exactly global either, have you noticed?????). But does anyone go to watch club cricket or is any media coverage given to it? Not where I'm from.

Cricket is cricket . It's different to the footy codes because it can take days to complete. If you choose to go to the cricket you must give up your whole day and you still might not get a result. That's why people prefer to watch it on TV or keep in touch with the scores. Union is just two hours yet it is still barely attended in Australia. The reason? It is boring. Just look at how often the ball is out of play for. Not good for a football code. It's alos very messy to watch. Maul's, rucks are very sloppy looking things and scrums are a dead-set yawn.

iggy plop said:
screeny said:
I don't like union coz of the inferior rules and the over inflated hype the sport receives...a sport at which a fat old bloke cna be an international ahtlete!

I hate RU coz of its history of trying to destroy RL, which doesn't appeal to my sense of social justice and fair play.

I don't like union coz of dickholes like Turd Pen... oh and the game is about as much of a turn on as nude pygmies in a National Geographic mag.

You don't like me because I caught you and your friends bullshi* on this forum .

iggy plop

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
iggy plop said:
screeny said:
I don't like union coz of the inferior rules and the over inflated hype the sport receives...a sport at which a fat old bloke cna be an international ahtlete!

I hate RU coz of its history of trying to destroy RL, which doesn't appeal to my sense of social justice and fair play.

I don't like union coz of dickholes like Turd Pen... oh and the game is about as much of a turn on as nude pygmies in a National Geographic mag.

You don't like me because I caught you and your friends bullshi* on this forum .

You are a sick little Turd Pen in desperate need of a hiding, now off to the TFC now!!!

iggy plop said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
iggy plop said:
screeny said:

You are a sick little Turd Pen in desperate need of a hiding, now off to the TFC now!!!

And your gonna give me that hiding ? :lol:

iggy plop

First Grade
There is a line up of Tu'urd Pen fans just waiting for a crack.

We need you back Mango, I mean Pen. :lol:

Atticus Finch

Juniors
screeny said:
However, I agree with RU fans when they say they have more right to the word 'rugby' than us leaguies. We were the rebels after all. But I suppose in mitigation we weren't changing the actual sport per se, that came gradually and much later on.

You are spot on in all your arguments Screeny, 'cept the first bit of this one. The fact is that the original breakaway "Northern (rugby) Union" clubs had just as much right to consider themselves "rugby" as the ones who maintained their amateur status (ha ha!) in the south. As you say in mitigation, they were playing exactly the same game, just being more open about payments.

Also, there is a suspicion that the "breakaway" was actually a put-up job by the southern-based RFU clubs, with the over-strong (and successful) "Northern Union" lot effectively maneouvered out of power, only they were too daft to pick up on what was going on. It's an interesting "what if" point: if the Northern clubs had not broken away, would they have got their broken time way eventually? And if so, would the one code of rugby today look more like present day league or union?

In that respect, many present day league clubs are actually union clubs who have simply spent the past 100 or so years playing what developed into rugby league rules, that's all. Historically, they are as much "rugby" clubs as any whose teams consist of 15 players. When you think of it, rugby union rules have changed plenty since Victorian times too.

Instead of running scared off the word "rugby" we should proudly use it as is our right. If that causes confusion in some countries, so what? See the new American web site video for an example of how union's clever comandeering of the word could eventually backfire on it. It would be hilarious if "rugby" in the USA became universally accepted as rugby league, wouldn't it?

We have backed down too meekly on this issue too often in the past and now is the time to get tough. Aussie Leaguies should start referring to their game as "rugby". The first "Rugby World Cup" after all, was the Rugby League one in the 1950s. It's a shocker that we just roll over and have our bellies tickled on this. Or, like those forefathers in the George, are our present day club bosses too dense to realise what is going on?

Atticus Finch said:
screeny said:
However, I agree with RU fans when they say they have more right to the word 'rugby' than us leaguies. We were the rebels after all. But I suppose in mitigation we weren't changing the actual sport per se, that came gradually and much later on.

You are spot on in all your arguments Screeny, 'cept the first bit of this one. The fact is that the original breakaway "Northern (rugby) Union" clubs had just as much right to consider themselves "rugby" as the ones who maintained their amateur status (ha ha!) in the south. As you say in mitigation, they were playing exactly the same game, just being more open about payments.

Also, there is a suspicion that the "breakaway" was actually a put-up job by the southern-based RFU clubs, with the over-strong (and successful) "Northern Union" lot effectively maneouvered out of power, only they were too daft to pick up on what was going on. It's an interesting "what if" point: if the Northern clubs had not broken away, would they have got their broken time way eventually? And if so, would the one code of rugby today look more like present day league or union?

In that respect, many present day league clubs are actually union clubs who have simply spent the past 100 or so years playing what developed into rugby league rules, that's all. Historically, they are as much "rugby" clubs as any whose teams consist of 15 players. When you think of it, rugby union rules have changed plenty since Victorian times too.

Instead of running scared off the word "rugby" we should proudly use it as is our right. If that causes confusion in some countries, so what? See the new American web site video for an example of how union's clever comandeering of the word could eventually backfire on it. It would be hilarious if "rugby" in the USA became universally accepted as rugby league, wouldn't it?

We have backed down too meekly on this issue too often in the past and now is the time to get tough. Aussie Leaguies should start referring to their game as "rugby". The first "Rugby World Cup" after all, was the Rugby League one in the 1950s. It's a shocker that we just roll over and have our bellies tickled on this. Or, like those forefathers in the George, are our present day club bosses too dense to realise what is going on?

Thanks for mate . but i think you came here with this post 4 years too late .
This was discuss on all the league forums four years ago .

iggy plop said:

No piggy blop, There's only one person in line but he has 7 different names on this forum .

iggy plop

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
iggy plop said:

No piggy blop, There's only one person in line but he has 7 different names on this forum .

Sorry Pen, but there's a long line of leaguies who would just love give you a good flogging.

You're such an easy target. You know, yawnion-loving shit stick and all.

Mango. :lol:

iggy plop said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
iggy plop said:

Sorry Pen, but there's a long line of leaguies who would just love give you a good flogging.

You're such an easy target. You know, yawnion-loving sh*t stick and all.

Mango. :lol:
:lol: Come and get it Bitch ! There's a long line of Paranoia One eye idiots like yourself .

Latest posts