What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Matt23

Staff member
In 6 weeks every single one of you would have modified your NSW side to include Joel Thompson.
At this rate he'll be a walk up start for City/Country, I rate him, he will play for NSW, maybe not this year, but soon enough.

watatank

Coach
Canberra look like they're going to be under the spotlight a lot this season which should enhance their chances of making the team.

Stuart likes big centres so Thompson will definitely be a strong contender.

RHCP

Bench
Aiden Tolman. Tremendous effort, if he sustains that he should be amongst the first forward picked.

Can't see Thompson cracking the NSW side this season. One day yes, but 2011 I'm not so sure.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Aiden Tolman. Tremendous effort, if he sustains that he should be amongst the first forward picked.

Can't see Thompson cracking the NSW side this season. One day yes, but 2011 I'm not so sure.

I wholeheartedly agree about Tolman. As to Thompson, I'd nearly have as the third forward on the bench if he has a really good early season. He's got plenty of competition to beat out, but I can see a role for him if he is playing well enough. It's up to him really. It's a big task but it's also a new coach, new direction and new chapter. There are plenty of spots for a 10 year player and he's a candidate.

Being a dragons supporter and actually being glad he came back just haven't seen much from him so far.
defensively he has been great fitting straight into our team but seems to have lost his x factor in attack.

only line break i can remember from last year was against manly and it was a great one :)

so far this season in the 2 games i have watched dylan farrell and george carmont have kept him fairly quiet.

as you say its only early and i really do hope he comes good but at the moment i would say no.

and yes keep lyon well away from the team. i do like jennings.
most of the dragons attack is concentrated down the left hand edge with cooper, morris and creagh. Gasnier has proven himself in origin before, and what happened to him in his last origin match against Inglis is what people usually recall with Gasnier and origin. BUT he did carry a foot injury into that match, and the origin before he made Inglis look like an amatuer, almost getting man of the match.

timka4

Bench
He was also a different player back then, give Gas some more time, he might reach his old form or he might not, time will tell

goosie

Juniors
So what have we got from the games so far as to who should be in the side?

Five things after the Panthers v Knights clash.

a. Michael Jennings needs an attitude adjustment.

b. Michael Jennings will never be fully fit for a game of league apparently.

c. Michael Jennings has a go and doesn't look to be injured when there is open space in front of him.

d. Michael Jennings is lazy, pig headed or just plain stupid for being off side three times at the kick off.

e. Michael Jennings has no place being in an origin team.

Bit harsh mate . you would have to be clearly screwed in the head if you left jennings out of origin

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jennings is fantastic when he is switched on but unfortunantely that is nowhere near often enough.

He simply goes missing to often when the going gets tough and the going is always tough in SOO.

mrpwnd

Bench
No thanks to Jennings, has done nothing in all the origin matches he's been in to date and is a proven pea heart.

mxlegend99

Referee
No thanks to Jennings, has done nothing in all the origin matches he's been in to date and is a proven pea heart.
He has only played in 3 Origin matches. His first origin match he picked up an injury in the first half. His second Origin match he was still carrying that injury. His third Origin match he had a knee problem that had been holding him back all year.

You claim he has a pea heart, yet he played through injuries in each of his games. He also put off surgery on his knee as he values the NSW jersey so highly that he didn't want to get the surgery he had booked in for during our bye as he wouldn't be available for the match.

He hasn't played that well for NSW yet. But it's not through lack of skill or heart. Unfortunately his body seems pretty fragile and he hasn't been right at Origin time. Although he was part of our last winning NSW side... even with the injuries he's still not bad. Always looks dangerous... just never quiet gets there.

RHCP

Bench
Jamal Idris dominated GI out there today, both in attack and defence. Even used an Inglis-esque fend which has undone the Blues so often in the past to breeze past him.

Proof that you don't have to pick a one dimensional defensive player to shut down Inglis.

Imagine that scenario we witnessed this afternoon, but with Akuila Uate on his outside shoulder. :shock:

mrpwnd

Bench
He has only played in 3 Origin matches. His first origin match he picked up an injury in the first half. His second Origin match he was still carrying that injury. His third Origin match he had a knee problem that had been holding him back all year.

You claim he has a pea heart, yet he played through injuries in each of his games. He also put off surgery on his knee as he values the NSW jersey so highly that he didn't want to get the surgery he had booked in for during our bye as he wouldn't be available for the match.

He hasn't played that well for NSW yet. But it's not through lack of skill or heart. Unfortunately his body seems pretty fragile and he hasn't been right at Origin time. Although he was part of our last winning NSW side... even with the injuries he's still not bad. Always looks dangerous... just never quiet gets there.
Always an excuse isn't it? Fair enough
Looks like he's being plagued AGAIN by the same injury, by that penchant it'd be pretty safe to assume he'd produce the same level of mediocrity in origin if chosen.
If he really cared about the NSW jersey he'd have pulled out knowing that he'd be mediocre coming into origin with an injury.
With centres like Lawrence, Idris and Champion really picking up their game the chances of Jennings getting into the origin squad are getting more and more thin. I certainly won't hold my breath on him.

mrpwnd

Bench
Jamal Idris dominated GI out there today, both in attack and defence. Even used an Inglis-esque fend which has undone the Blues so often in the past to breeze past him.

Proof that you don't have to pick a one dimensional defensive player to shut down Inglis.

Imagine that scenario we witnessed this afternoon, but with Akuila Uate on his outside shoulder. :shock:
Very impressed by Idris, lined up against 2 centres who are widely considered several classes above him and has outplayed both of them. I guess his 'eye surgery' has really helped lift his game, no complaints if he's starting centre.

Jamal Idris did play really well. I would him, or either Gasnier on that right hand side. then most likely lawrence on the other. I want Jennings far away from that sky blue, yes he's a great club player but he just can't handle the physicality of origin imo. He's one of those player's where if i was to pick an australian side to play against papa new guine, then i would pick him over greg inglis ! But origin no.

Latest posts