What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

jbl31649

Juniors
Lyon at left centre? Gas and Lyon are the best 2 centres NSW has atm, but both are right centres aren't they?

Idris on the bench is a bad idea - less value than Gidley, and thats saying a lot. Whats he going to do, play in centres? Can't read plays in defence, so no good in second row... waste of a bench spot.

I have a "?" over Bird - his form has been flat this year so far.

But other than dropping Idris for a second rower / utility, that would be a solid NSW side.

I think Gid's will be there over Idris. If TLL can pick up his game this looks like the team. (Also Sticky is looking at Hindmarsh)

Both Gaz and Lyon (2008 GF) have played 5/8 so should be capable of either side. Lyon would be able to handle left but I reakon he and Uate would work well together.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
New South Wales' problem over the last 5 years is that we keep chopping and changing our team. We need to pick a bunch of players and stick with them. How many more players must we set back Jarrod Mullen style?

My team, assuming all are fit and available:

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Michael Gordon
3. Michael Jennings
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Akila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
13. Luke Lewis
12. Mitchell Aubusson
11. Paul Gallen (c)
10. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
8. Tim Mannah

14. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
15. Kade Snowden
16. Greg Bird
17. Anthony Watmough

Comments:

Fullback - Hayne gets the nod as the incumbent for mine, but I would not complain about either Dugan or Stewart. One thing I don't want to see is fullbacks on the wing. Alas, but 3 into 1 doesn't go.

Wing - Morris, Gordon, and Uate are the only 3 in it for mine. Gordon deserves another go, as does Morris, but Uate's form demands he be picked. I salivate at the thought of Gasnier feeeding Uate.

Centre - a pity Lawrence isn't available, as he would have been my first picked. Jennings is too good not to come good eventually, and deserves another go. Pair him with Gordon. Gasnier is starting to really come good, and has the class to create for his winger, either Morris or Uate.

Five-Eighth - Carney should get the nod if available. If not, then either Soward or Mullen. Both desrve a go. Just no picking back rowers at 5/8 - e.g. Bird or Anasta.

Halfback - Mitchell Pearce is a no-brainer. Everyone other than Gaba can see he is a class halfback, and if the selectors are smart enough to stick with him, I'm confident he'll come good.

Back Row - plenty of options here. Lewis at lock is a no-brainer if available. Bird is good, but not good enough to shift Lewis to second row like last year. Put him on the bench, as they can both cover backline injuries. Gallen picks himself. Then you have a choice of 3 for a wide-running second rower for the other spot: Aubusson, Creagh, and Watmough. Aubusson should be given first shot for mine, he is an absolute gun in the making, and probably let Watmough keep his bench spot. I'm more than happy to keep Creagh playing for the Dragons.

Front Row - again truckloads of options. Weyman is the best prop in NSW if he's fit, and Mannah is the form prop, so pair them together. TLL may be out form, but he's proven he's an Origin player, so put him on the bench, and Snowden is the best young prop. Plenty of good props outside these 4 as well - Galloway, Douglas, Hunt, Merrin, Tilse, probably a couple I'm forgetting.

Hooker - shoot me, but I'm going for Ennis. Possibly only dogs fans will agree with me, but he is a good player. Just needs to control the niggle a bit. Would not complain if Farrah got picked though. I love Dean Young, but he is only a stop-gap at the Dragons, and shouldn't even be mentioned as an Origin hooker. Back row or benchie, maybe.

Jason Maher

Immortal
All I've heard is a snippet on a news break that he's been suspended indefinitely - which could mean anything from 3 weeks to the rest fo the season.

Yeah but even when he played he's been a passenger. I would've thought you'd choose Soward being a dragons fan. It's just a curious choice...

Spanner in the works

First Grade
It's a good looking side. Just a couple of things.

New South Wales' problem over the last 5 years is that we keep chopping and changing our team. We need to pick a bunch of players and stick with them. How many more players must we set back Jarrod Mullen style?
Where's the like button?:D

Fullback - Hayne gets the nod as the incumbent for mine, but I would not complain about either Dugan or Stewart. One thing I don't want to see is fullbacks on the wing. Alas, but 3 into 1 doesn't go.
Hayne played on the wing when he first came into grade, and has played arguably his best football in Origin on the wing, so if you wanted Dugan or Stewart over someone else?

Five-Eighth - Carney should get the nod if available. If not, then either Soward or Mullen. Both desrve a go. Just no picking back rowers at 5/8 - e.g. Bird or Anasta.
Should be Mullen now that Carney is out in my opinion. Just think his defence is somewhat better than Soward's. Mind you, Soward would be a weapon in the halves. And he would be great off the bench too...

Aubusson, Creagh, and Watmough. Aubusson should be given first shot for mine, he is an absolute gun in the making, and probably let Watmough keep his bench spot. I'm more than happy to keep Creagh playing for the Dragons.
Aubusson is very underrated, but I think there are players further along in their development than him at the moment. Besides, he isn't playing particularly well for us. You know my feelings on Creagh. Watmough would be the best if you were set on those three. Why a wide-runner?

Hooker - shoot me, but I'm going for Ennis. Possibly only dogs fans will agree with me, but he is a good player. Just needs to control the niggle a bit.
He needs to settle it down a fair bit, especially if we have both Bird and Gallen in the side. There is 12 points between those three just from penalty goals. Good player, and niggle is great in Origin, but he needs to control it a lot more.

jbl31649

Juniors
Loving these discussions. Everyone is giving good arguments for and against. Not just saying your team sucks without backing it up with some substance.

Do you think the selectors have such a debate on players?

Personally I think selectors are now obsolete. We now have a coach and staff (Bob Fulton, Ricky Stuart and team).

This is Ricky's sole coaching role and should get final say. It BS for selectors to pick a side, expect a coach to get them to win, then sack him because they don't.

Ricky should be allowed to pick what he feels will be the beside to respond to his tactics and coaching style. Then blame falls straight on his shoulders if he fails dramatically.

Its different for an NRL side when you have a pre-season and all season to coach players.

Noname36

First Grade
Personally I think selectors are now obsolete. We now have a coach and staff (Bob Fulton, Ricky Stuart and team).

I've been saying for a while now that there's absolutely no need for a panel of selectors (especially the terrible ones NSW have had over the past few years). Like you said, the coach will be deciding the style of play for the team, so let him pick who he thinks will fit into that plan. -Saying that though, will the lack of attack style that Stuart usually coaches, it'd be interesting to see who'd he'd pick. :?

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I've been saying for a while now that there's absolutely no need for a panel of selectors (especially the terrible ones NSW have had over the past few years). Like you said, the coach will be deciding the style of play for the team, so let him pick who he thinks will fit into that plan. -Saying that though, will the lack of attack style that Stuart usually coaches, it'd be interesting to see who'd he'd pick. :?

I can see some big boppers up front, a hard working back row and some big, strong centres in the backs. I'm pretty sure he isn't a fan of fancy forwards either.

simmo1

First Grade
01. Hayne
02. Gordon
03. Lyon
04. Gasnier
05. Uate
06. Soward
07. Mullen
08. Tolman
09. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Snowden
16. TLL
17. Idris

Good looking team imo.

Very good team, pretty much what I would pick. A few days ago, I would have had Carney at 6 over Soward, but that's not going to happen now.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I just dont like Lyon.

I dont have the same confidence for him to break a tackle, step a player or run a guy over like I do with our other centre options.

andrew057

First Grade
Lyon at left centre? Gas and Lyon are the best 2 centres NSW has atm, but both are right centres aren't they?

Idris on the bench is a bad idea - less value than Gidley, and thats saying a lot. Whats he going to do, play in centres? Can't read plays in defence, so no good in second row... waste of a bench spot.

I have a "?" over Bird - his form has been flat this year so far.

But other than dropping Idris for a second rower / utility, that would be a solid NSW side.

Lyon and Gasnier interchangeable, whoever feels the most comfortable playing left. With Lawrence down and Jennings playing so piss poorly, there arent really any other options. Gasnier and Lyon both have plenty of big game/rep level experience, neither would let NSW down imo.

I think Lewis is an ideal utility, so no need for Gidley. Idris replaceable with a second rower/prop.

Mannah very unlucky to miss out, but I feel him and Tolman are too similar, NSW need some starch off the bench.

Bird seems to grow an extra leg in Origin, regardless of his form in the regular season. Can't pick a team with out him imo.

Fordy20

Juniors
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Michael Gordon
3. Micheal Jennings
4. Beau Champion
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Kade Snowden
11. Luke Lewis
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen

14. Anthony Watmough
15. Tim Mannah
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Aiden Tolman

timka4

Bench
1. Hayne
2. Gordon (left)
3. J Morris (left)
4. Gasnier (right)
5. Uate (right)
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Mannah or TLL
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Gallen (C)
13. Bird

14. Mannah or TLL
15. Tolman
16. Douglas / Galloway / Kidley (still not entirely sure on this pick)
17. Watmough

I think that is a great team, good mix of experience (for NSW anyways). Some good young talent. Determined players.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Lmao @ beau champion.
josh Morris isn't good enough for origin considering the other options.

I'd like to see Lewis at centre but it'll never happen because the selectors are speds.

timka4

Bench
Josh played alright in game 3 09, he is strong fast, good offload. He is better than all of the other left hand side centres, other than Lawrence. Hopefully he can play some good footy from this weekend till origin, he won't get selected either way though

Hutty1986

Immortal
1. Hayne
2. Gordon (left)
3. J Morris (left)
4. Gasnier (right)
5. Uate (right)
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Mannah or TLL
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Gallen (C)
13. Bird

14. Mannah or TLL
15. Tolman
16. Douglas / Galloway / Kidley (still not entirely sure on this pick)
17. Watmough

I think that is a great team, good mix of experience (for NSW anyways). Some good young talent. Determined players.

That's a super side I reckon. Hopefully Josh Morris can hit form relatively quickly after his return this weekend and give himself a shot