What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Tommy Smith

Referee
1. Josh Dugan
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Aku Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Kade Snowden
9. Robbie Farah
10. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Mitchell Aubusson
13. Paul Gallen

14. Michael Weyman
15. Tim Grant/Bryce Gibbs/Tim Mannah
16. Greg Bird
17. Luke Lewis

RABK

Referee
1. Brett Stewart
2. Akuila Uate
3. Michael Jennings
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Paul Gallen
13. Braith Anasta (c)

14. Luke Lewis
15. Michael Weyman
16. Tim Mannah
17. Greg Bird

Last edited:

ozjet1

most of the teams here have been selected in the same way our nuffy selectors have been doing the last several years. Here's a team, see what you can do with them, coach. There's virtually know mention of how these players will be used to get the job done, just a subjective call of these are the best players so they'll win. It's sad that there's virtually no discussion about types of game plans that can get the job done. For example, forwards are picked in jerseys 8 to 13 like they have been for decades, but the type of players in the forward pack and the way they are used has evolved. The selection of a particular player over another should be consistent with the strategy.

With the news that sticky is odds on to get the coaching role, and with total control of selection of the side (as one of a full time coach's reponsibilities should be), it kinda makes this thread redundant.

He's going to select a team which he thinks will implemenent his strategy most successfully. It won't necessarily consist of the best NSW player in the NRL for a respective position. Rather, the decision will come down to the players who best fit Stuart's philiosophy of playing his type of football.

It was about time the NSWRL made the call on ensuring the coach of the side does it in a full-time capacity, and out of touch selectors who are so stuck in the 70s and 80s have been given the boot. Game past them by and they wouldn't know how to understand a modern gameplan for an under 8s side.

I'm suddenly excited about the prospects of the state team.

Yosh

Coach
Okay something like this?

Coach: Ricky Stuart

1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Gasnier

6. Mullen
7. Carney

8. Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Kidley
11. Anasta
12. Gallen (c)
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Mannah
16. Snowden
17. Watmough

Looks aight?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Okay something like this?

Coach: Ricky Stuart

1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Gasnier

6. Mullen
7. Carney

8. Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Kidley
11. Anasta
12. Gallen (c)
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Mannah
16. Snowden
17. Watmough

Looks aight?

Kidding? See it? you see what I did there?

Yosh

Coach
Kidding? See it? you see what I did t
here?

Kinda... He played well there last year. Ennis should never play Origin again. Farah or Kidley I was thinking. Was in a dilemma so I got my Red and Blue goggles on and the rest is history.

Lewis is an excellent bench option and I thought there'd be no point having both Lewis and Kidley on the bench...

RHCP

Bench
Farah plays for himself, as Talanexor pointed out, whilst Gidley is the epitomy of a team player. Plus in the stint he played there in Origin III he did better than what Robbie Farah or Michael Ennis have ever done at Origin level. If we compare the best games of the 3 contenders:

Robbie Farah - Game I 2009
67 minutes
11 runs for 77m
1 try assist
2 tackle busts
35 tackles (1 missed)
1 offload

Michael Ennis - Game III 2009
52 minutes
7 runs for 36m
2 tackle busts
20 tackles (1 missed)
1 penalty conceded

Kurt Gidley - Game III 2010
49 minutes
11 runs for 113m
1 try assist
1 try
8 tackle busts
22 tackles (0 missed)
2 linebreaks
2 offloads

Least amount of minutes yet leads comfortably in every aspect except tackles and try assists, which he is still number one for although tied with Farah.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10972

Australian ANZAC Test team

1. Slater, 2. Hayne, 3. Inglis, 4. Lyon, 5. Morris, 6. Lockyer, 7. Thurston, 8. Civoniceva, 9. Smith, 10. Shillington, 11. Thaiday, 12. Myles, 13. Lewis, BENCH: 14. Cronk, 15. Watmough, 16. Shillington, 17. Weyman

City team

1. Coote, 2. ?????, 3. Ayshford, 4. Jennings, 5. Lawrence, 6. ?????, 7. Pearce, 8. Grant, 9. Farah, 10. Mannah, 11. Minichiello, 12. Waterhouse, 13. Gallen, BENCH: 14. Anasta, 15. Rodney, 16. Gibbs, 17. Galloway

Country team

1. Dugan, 2. Gordon, 3. Idris, 4. Morris, 5. Uate, 6. Carney, 7. ?????, 8. Snowden, 9. Ennis, 10. Learoyd-Lahrs, 11. Creagh, 12. Heighington, 13. Young, BENCH: 14. Bird, 15. Scott, 16. Douglas, 17. Tilse

Aiden Tolman and Dan Hunt had injury stunted seasons but could push for the Country team, as would Mitchell Aubusson, Joe Picker and Ben Smith. Terry Campese will be injured until later on.

You would probably have to pick from the above CvC teams + the Test incumbents to build a good Origin team.

1. Dugan/Coote
2. Hayne
3. Idris/Ayshford/Jennings/Morris/Lawrence
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Weyman
9. Ennis/Farah
10. Learoyd-Lahrs/Douglas
11. Watmough
12. Heighington/Waterhouse/Scott/Rodney
13. Lewis

14. Bird/Anasta/Young (utility)
15. Gallen/Minichiello/Creagh (running forward)
16. Mannah/Grant/Snowden (young prop)
17. Gibbs/Galloway/Tilse (more experienced prop)

RHCP

Bench
After a bit of discussion and reconsideration:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Akuila Uate
3. Jamie Lyon/Mark Gasnier
4. Michael Jennings
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Michael Weyman
9. Kurt Gidley (c)
10. Kade Snowden
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Luke Douglas/Tim Grant/Aiden Tolman
15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Tim Mannah
17. Braith Anasta/Luke Lewis

I can't seperate Killer and Gaz at this point in time. Individually, Gasnier is a better ball runner but when you've got the best winger in the competition on your outside, I'd want someone who can give him good service which is Jamie Lyon.

Anasta and Lewis also bring the same attributes to the team, I can't split them either. Whoever is in better form come Origin I next year.

TLL's best aspect is the impact he delivers off the bench, so I think he should stay there. Mannah did fantastically for the few minutes he got this year, and to compete with the front row rotation that Queensland have got, I believe we're going to need to use three props on the bench. So the three young guns of Grant, Tolman and Douglas can compete for that spot in the beginning of the season.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
After a bit of discussion and reconsideration:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Akuila Uate
3. Jamie Lyon/Mark Gasnier
4. Michael Jennings
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Michael Weyman
9. Kurt Gidley (c)
10. Kade Snowden
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Luke Douglas/Tim Grant/Aiden Tolman
15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Tim Mannah
17. Braith Anasta/Luke Lewis

I can't seperate Killer and Gaz at this point in time. Individually, Gasnier is a better ball runner but when you've got the best winger in the competition on your outside, I'd want someone who can give him good service which is Jamie Lyon.

Anasta and Lewis also bring the same attributes to the team, I can't split them either. Whoever is in better form come Origin I next year.

TLL's best aspect is the impact he delivers off the bench, so I think he should stay there. Mannah did fantastically for the few minutes he got this year, and to compete with the front row rotation that Queensland have got, I believe we're going to need to use three props on the bench. So the three young guns of Grant, Tolman and Douglas can compete for that spot in the beginning of the season.

Kurt Gidley should be the number 14 and not number the 9. The nine should be Farah. NSW should have an attacking spine, thus it will be Dugan, Carney, Pearce & Farah. Gidley can come on when the forwards get tired, like he did in SOO 3 this year. Farah can come back on and can work in tandom with Gidley later in the match.

timka4

Bench

Easily Lewis. Although Anasta had a good back end of the season with the Roosters, I don't imagine him running with the same vigor and confidence into the QLD line like he does at club level (for the back end of the season).

Lewis was injured for the majority of time he spent on the field and the rest of the time he was on the bench and it wasn't really well documented during the game, so I think people just thought he had a quiet game. But given his chance to play 60-80 min injury free he will be excellent to be a starter for the back row.

11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

RHCP

Bench
Anthony Watmough should be in the starting side. He's proved his worth many times and gives us great balance in our starting backrow with a strong ball runner, a workhorse and a ballplayer. Without Watmough starting we have two ball players, but lack anybody who's really going to threaten the line with ball in hand. Only one of Bird or Lewis should start, and after his brilliance in Game III this year, Bird is going to be the 13 for NSW for as long as he wants.

Braith also has his club combination with Carney and Pearce working in his favour for selection over Lewis.

Joe's Magpies said:
Kurt Gidley should be the number 14 and not number the 9. The nine should be Farah. NSW should have an attacking spine, thus it will be Dugan, Carney, Pearce & Farah. Gidley can come on when the forwards get tired, like he did in SOO 3 this year. Farah can come back on and can work in tandom with Gidley later in the match.
Our hooker has to play 80 minutes at this level. I wouldn't be disappointed if Farah got the 9 and Gidley 14, but I think our best option is too pick one and have them go the full 80 and I think it should be Kurt.

Yosh

Coach
I wouldn't mind seeing Farah in the 9 as well and Gidley off the bench. What about Lewis then? I don't mind seeing Anasta dropped but he does seem to go alright in Origin. Plus he was the captain of the year and all.

I think there is no way Hayne will be dropped from the no.1 just yet. Maybe come 2012 but he'll be there bar injury for all three games 2011. Dugan might just have to start his Origin career on the wing.

So let's look at it like this:

Fullbacks:
Hayne, Gidley, Dugan, Daylight, Coote, Gordon

Wingers:
BMorries, JMorris, Uate, Hayne, Gordon, Idris,

Centres:
Lyon, Gasnier, Jennings, Lawrence, Idris, JMorris

5/8ths:
Carney, Mullen, Campese, Anasta, Bird, Gidley, Soward

Halfback:
Pearce, Mullen, Carney, Gidley, Hornby

Props:
Weyman, TLL, Mannah, Snowden, Douglas, Galloway, Gibbs, Tolman

Backrowers:

Gallen, Bird, Anasta, Lewis, Gidley, Minnichello, LO'Donnell, Watmough, Aubusson, Patterson

Hookers:
Gidley, Farah, De Gois, Yes I left Ennis out on purpose.

So how we looking. Did I forget anyone?

RHCP

Bench
O'Donnell isn't going to be playing NRL next season.

Stewart could possibly be in line to play fullback if he makes a miracle recovery, I'd also have Tim Grant up there as a possible prop.

Otherwise, don't think you've missed anyone. Although you definitely had your red and blue goggles back on for a couple of those, haha.

timka4

Bench
Bird and Gallen are both running back-rowers. Although Bird can ball play, in game 3 last year he just ran it and offloaded, which was perfect for our game.
While Lewis can do a little with the ball, he is still a good runner.
Watmough has a lot more impact then Lewis would off the bench

Yosh

Coach
O'Donnell isn't going to be playing NRL next season.

Stewart could possibly be in line to play fullback if he makes a miracle recovery, I'd also have Tim Grant up there as a possible prop.

Otherwise, don't think you've missed anyone. Although you definitely had your red and blue goggles back on for a couple of those, haha.

Wouldn't enter these forums without em!:sarcasm:

1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Gordon
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Gidley
15. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Mannah
17. Watmough

Gasnier will be one of the first backs picked for NSW, I find it odd people are omitting him. He is the experience that they need outwide to stop Inglis and co. Jennings is still weak defensively, I still don't think he is the answer there. Gasnier's defence has improved alot with alot less jersey grabbing and he has all the capability in the world to improve his current performance in attack.

Dugan
Morris
Gasnier
Lyon
Hayne/Uate

Latest posts