What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

RHCP

Bench
Mitchell Pearce isn't a flashy or extremely exciting player, but he's what NSW needs. We've got plenty of players who can pull off that fancy, gamebreaking stuff (Hayne, Carney, Dugan, Uate, Farah) and Pearce gives the team an element of control and gives those players the space and position to do what they can as he does with the Roosters for Aubusson, Carney, SKD etc.

He has a good kicking game, good passing game, is an extremely good defender (I'd rate him close to the best as far as halfbacks go), puts players through holes and has great support play. I wouldn't call him an x-factor, but like he said, he brings some control to a side which needs direction and stability. I'm not trying to say he's the greatest 7 in the world by any stretch of the imagination but he is capable and playing players out of position just because he doesn't play the same game as Johnathan Thurston is not a good move.

Last edited:

mrpwnd

Bench
What are the thoughts on Soward?
IMO, if Carney struggles to replicate his 5/8 displays at the back end of this year for 2011, then i'd really love to see Soward in the squad.

1. Hayne/Dugan - subject to change based on 2011 form.
2. Uate
3. Jennings - hopefully Panthers keep him on the right for 2011.
4. Gasnier/Lyon/M Gordon(Supposedly his favourite position)/J Thompson
5. M Gordon/K Gordon/Hayne
6. Soward/Carney
7. Pearce
8. Galloway
9. Farah/De Gois/D Young
10. Snowden
11. TLL
12. Gallen
13. G Bird/B Anasta - I'd like to wait for CvC, but Bird is a proven performer for mine, so i'd have him over Anasta.

14. Gidley
15. Mannah
16. B Smith/L Lewis/Mateo(assuming he learns how to hold the f**king ball)
17. M Minichiello

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Creagh get another shot, his form this year has been pretty excellent and he was pretty decent in the 09 series, minus that pussy touch on Hodges.
People would probably want Morris, but IMO he's not suited for origin, QLD won't give him room and beyond that he offers nothing.
Minichiellos been in excellent form and could possibly even fill in as a prop off the bench if needed to.

I really hope to see a side with something like this, can't say i'm holding my breath over it, but with guns like Hayne, Dugan, Uate and Carney, i'd say we're definately a shot for next year.

RHCP

Bench
There's still a huge question mark over his defence, and his readiness to take the line on. He's proven that he can split defences in two with ease in broken play, but I'm yet to see him replicate it against a flat defensive line.

I like the look of Mark Minichiello in there. It's a shame he probably won't make it though.

D

Deleted member 10972

NSW halfbacks:

Luke Walsh - 22 games, 5 linebreaks, 32 try assists
Mitchell Pearce - 20 games, 8 linebreaks, 16 try assists
Peter Wallace - 21 games, 6 linebreaks, 10 try assists
Trent Hodgkinson - 24 games, 5 linebreaks, 10 try assists

NSW five-eighths:

Jarrod Mullen - 21 games, 5 linebreaks, 17 try assists
Todd Carney - 26 games, 21 linebreaks, 16 try assists
John Sutton - 20 games, 8 linebreaks, 16 try assists
Terry Campese - 26 games, 12 linebreaks, 15 linebreaks
Jamie Soward - 24 games, 11 linebreaks, 12 try assists

Looking at that, you might say Carney/Walsh, but Pearce is ten times a better-rounded player. Carney/Pearce.

RHCP

Bench
Pearce also has a lot more linebreak assists (18) and tries (9) than any of the others who would be in contention.

Luke Walsh has the same amount of linebreak assists as Dave Taylor. :lol:

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
I was waiting for someone to show all of Luke Walsh's bomb for a try-assists.

If he becomes NSW halfback I'll support QLD no f**king joke.

Doomednow

Bench
I was waiting for someone to show all of Luke Walsh's bomb for a try-assists.

If he becomes NSW halfback I'll support QLD no f**king joke.

Walsh should not be in the origin side and is extremely unlikely to be.

1. Dugan
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. M. Gordon - assuming he performs there, though he might be at fullback for penrith next season. Maybe.
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Pearce - I suppose it has to be him if we put Carney at 6
8. Weyman
9. Farah - though I am going to be pissed if I see him trying to milk penalties. He probably won't get them in origin anyway.
10. TLL
11. Lewis/Brid
12. Gallen
13. Bird/Lewis

14. Mannah
15. Grant
16. Watmough
17. Gidley

18. I don't know. Take your pick.

RHCP

Bench
What is the deal with this Gordon to centre idea?

How many times has Michael Gordon ever played centre before? Putting him in there for the sake of having him in the team is a ridiculous when you have experienced, much better right centre who have proven themselves in Jamie Lyon and Mark Gasnier who will add some much needed leadership to the team.

Doomednow

Bench
I'm in agreeance with those that say Lyon should not be playing Origin. Gasnier will be good if he continues to come along. Gordon is, at the moment, considered by posters here because he claims it is his preferred position. But if he isn't playing there next year and playing there well then I doubt there will be space in the team for him unless one of the first choice wingers is injured or otherwise out of contention.

I just like him. But I'm biased.

RHCP

Bench
I can see the merit in having him on the wing or at fullback, or perhaps even on the bench as a utility, but to ask him to come into an Origin game at centre with less than 20 appearances (and that is assuming he plays all the 2011 games pre-SOO at centre) in that position is a big stretch.

mxlegend99

Referee
What is the deal with this Gordon to centre idea?

How many times has Michael Gordon ever played centre before? Putting him in there for the sake of having him in the team is a ridiculous when you have experienced, much better right centre who have proven themselves in Jamie Lyon and Mark Gasnier who will add some much needed leadership to the team.
In first grade only a couple of times, but prior to cracking first grade he spent most of him games in the centres. It's his favorite position and with any luck his form this season will allow him to get first shot at right centre. He's clearly wasted on the wing and most coaches would have made the move a long time ago.

If he doesn't get picked, or isn't performing at right centre you obviously wouldn't pick him for NSW. But i'm confident if he gets the shot he'll be even better then he has been at fullback, and probably even show Michael Jennings up.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
My team.
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Jennings
5. M. Gordon
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. TLL
9. Farrah
10. Weyman
11. Gallen (c) ?
12. Lewis (c) ?
13. Bird.

14. Watmough
15. Mannah
16. Snowden
17. Gidley

Snowden could swap with TLL as a starter but Weyman should start because he looks like a guy who has to start to make an impact. Dugan at this stage is either at fullback or not in at all, he would put in as a winger but moving him out of position when there are other options doesn't feel right and Hayne is good enough to make an impact from wing if he wants to. If not B. Morris.
Seriously, despite how well he's playing at the moment, Anasta can't be considered. How many times has he been picked and not put in?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Bryce Gibbs deserves a shout. I hate using the term "made for Origin" but I believe he would be very suited.

His defensive workload and quality, and his mobility would be near the top of the pile. Can also play massive minutes for a prop, more than most.

MacDougall

First Grade
I just don't think Gibbo has the impact in attack needed in Origin. Not that that has held some of the other nuffies back, but that's hardly a reason to put him in. :lol:

Galloway would be a go if he keeps playing like he has been in the finals. He is certainly showing that he is made for the big games.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think you need a good balance in any forward pack and Gibbs provides that. Not the type of player that will make 150 meters, but he will do all the dirty work that no one else will.

timka4

Bench
Galloway would be a go if he keeps playing like he has been in the finals. He is certainly showing that he is made for the big games.
I do agree with this. I want him in my team but personally I thought he had been quiet since rounds 17-23 ish. Although he was still playing good, he wasn't playing with the same impact as he was pre-origin series IMO.

But the way he has been playing over the past month or so has been great. Could easily be a starting prop pick for next year

Latest posts