What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why the Bulldogs mauled the Roosters!

Dazraider

Juniors
Dogs was always going to win this week as they hardly loose three in a row and the roosters are early pretenders, no excuse for the roosters as they were outclassed and they only played the tigers and rabbits which are woeful defensive sides.

Mr Saab

Referee
Adrian is an A1 goose who should just stick to selling real estate in the Hills district and stop commentating on the game via talkback and print media. He is a know nothing attention seeker who wants to have a 3 some with SBW and Wally Lewis...with the West Indies team of the 80s to all jump in after an hour.

gsweeper

Juniors
Adrian is an A1 goose who should just stick to selling real estate in the Hills district and stop commentating on the game via talkback and print media. He is a know nothing attention seeker who wants to have a 3 some with SBW and Wally Lewis...with the West Indies team of the 80s to all jump in after an hour.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The real reason why the Roosters were smashed was they showed in their first 2 games, any team wanting to play up the middle could tear them apart. They have probably the weakest defense in the comp around the ruck, yet neither the Tigers or Souths were smart enough or could control the ball enough to exploit it. It was just a matter of time before a team did it. It's pretty funny how much the media started talking them up when it was blatantly obvious coming up against a decent side they'd get destroyed.

Ulysseus

Bench
The Dogs smashed the Roosters because the early rounds don't matter. Honestly, they don't mean a thing. As long as you make the 8 you're a chance and halfway through the season just about anybody is able to make the 8.

I disagree slightly Poupou, I think it is beneficial for a team to win at least 5 of their first 10 games to be a shot at the final 8 without needing to take 8 from rounds 10 to 20 considering the interruption of Origin etc, win 7 from your first 10 and it is going great, not much more to do to cement a spot, win anymore than 8 from the first 10 and you are about 7 more wins from the remaining 16 rounds to cementing at least 7th to 8th spot.

I think the early season games have their importance, you can't win the comp in rounds 1 to 10, but by f**k you can go a long way to:
1) Losing it
2) Losing any chance to contest the finals
3) Lose players through injury
4) Lose any motivation (take 2 from the first 10 and then rate a teams chances of being there on GF day)
5) Lose the ability to complete the latter rounds with some comfort, I know I'd rather my team needs 1 from their last 6 to make the eight, with each subsequent win cementing them further up the ladder, as opposed to my team needing 6 from 6 to be a shot, a few losses to go their way, no chance of making the top 4 and any loss spelling the end of any chance.

Ulysseus

Bench
On the Roosters loss, well it was bound to happen at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion Saints may also lose a couple of games this year.
The magnitude of the loss is big, although not by the magic 50 that makes it impossible for any team to win a comp after being belted by 50 during the year (history is a bitch).
The Doggies were going to get their sh*t together in a big way at some point, they were probably going to beat anyone stepped out onto the field against them that day, Storm, Titans, Saints, Roosters - it would not have mattered.
The only difference is that Saints and the Storm may not have got belted by so many, the Titans I am not so sure about.

Is there a case to be made for the Roosters run of in the heat day games dooming them to this moment no matter what they did?

Halycon

Juniors
The real reason why the Roosters were smashed was they showed in their first 2 games, any team wanting to play up the middle could tear them apart.

If anything, Souths almost exclusively tried to play the Roosters up the middle of the ruck in the initial stages of the game.

RockWheel

Bench
On the Roosters loss, well it was bound to happen at some point, I have a sneaking suspicion Saints may also lose a couple of games this year.
The magnitude of the loss is big, although not by the magic 50 that makes it impossible for any team to win a comp after being belted by 50 during the year (history is a bitch).
The Doggies were going to get their sh*t together in a big way at some point, they were probably going to beat anyone stepped out onto the field against them that day, Storm, Titans, Saints, Roosters - it would not have mattered.
The only difference is that Saints and the Storm may not have got belted by so many, the Titans I am not so sure about.

Is there a case to be made for the Roosters run of in the heat day games dooming them to this moment no matter what they did?

I thought it was no team has ever won the premiership after conceding 50 during the season?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
If anything, Souths almost exclusively tried to play the Roosters up the middle of the ruck in the initial stages of the game.
Difference being they couldn't hold onto the ball for long enough for it to work. The Roosters were never stretched as a result. They did predominantly drop off the tackles around the ruck. They give away way too many easy meters. Souths made something like 15 errors and had a possession efficiency around 70%, yet still made around 1400 meters in that game, and realistically, they were woeful.

Both the Souths and Tigers game showed highlighted their issues, even if the scorelines didn't reflect it. Their ruck defense hasn't changed too much from last year, and it was their main achilles heel.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade
No team has won the premiership since 1908 and conceded 50 or more points in a game in the same season.

donkeywong

Juniors
The Adrian Rovere Report on this site!!

Adrian's regular dribble on radio is a bit like listening to nails run down a blackboard. Then he repeats his dribble regularly on this site with his poisen pen articles. Here is an extract of his latest report.....

DOG OF A YEAR ALREADY
I fear for Canterbury and its army of supporters of which I am one of.
As much as I hate to say it, I honestly believe - even after just two rounds of the competition - that it's crises time for the Bulldogs.
I admire the club enormously and what they did in 2009 was truly inspirational however, regrettably season 2010 is shaping as a year to forget for the famous blue and whites.
Now before I get accused of suffering from a severe case of "premature evaluation", hear me out.
The club lost impact forward Greg Eastwood and points-scoring machine Hazem El Masri from last year's team, have long term injuries to Michael Hodgson, Mickey Paea, Dene Halatau and Corey Payne, the latter season-ending, have turned in two inept performances and will be without the suspended Gary Warburton for three weeks.
Even more worrying is the team's overall form slump, in particular that of captain Andrew Ryan, Kiwi international Ben Roberts and boom centre Jamal Idris.
All that coupled with the unrest caused by star prop Ben Hannant wanting to return home to Queensland, is a recipe for disaster that has left a sour taste in my mouth - one that no amount of Listerine is going to rid.
But wait there's more - and we are not talking a set of steak knives - although such utensils could be out for coach Kevin Moore if he is unable to remedy the team's deficiencies, most notably an inability to challenge the defence.
For the life of me I cannot remember the last time Canterbury produced a sweeping backline movement and second phase play amongst the forwards is virtually non-existent.
If the Bulldogs fail to correct both these areas of play, then I cannot see anything other than a Roosters victory by 20 to 30 points - possibly more.

STG-Dragon

Juniors

I don't agree with that.

The Dominator

Juniors
The Dogs smashed the Roosters because the early rounds don't matter. Honestly, they don't mean a thing. As long as you make the 8 you're a chance and halfway through the season just about anybody is able to make the 8.

The Roosters have been going hard for 3 weeks. This week they took a week off.

This is why all the ex-players and coaches say the season is too long; because the early rounds are nothing games.

Good teams NEVER get beat by 60. Good teams do lose games, especially early season, but they NEVER get beat by 60. Roosters no chance in 2010.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Good teams NEVER get beat by 60. Good teams do lose games, especially early season, but they NEVER get beat by 60. Roosters no chance in 2010.

Of course the Roosters are no chance this year. The point I was making is their good form prior to the Bulldogs loss meant very little - because it's so early in the season.

The problem with early season results is the sh*t teams don't know they're sh*t yet.