What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reasons for low Sydney crowds - ideas and solutions?

Woods99

Juniors
Calixte said:
Many get along fine without union, wamberal. :lol:

Enjoying the trend in the 'Tahs crowds are you?

Define "many"? Many people get on "fine" without finishing school......up to a point. Can you nominate any well-known league players who have achieved anything in the professions, academia, or international or local business? Ron Coote's McDonald's franchises do not count.

Of course a lot of people survive without rugby in Australia. There are a lot of alternatives, including soccer, and AFL. But the only resolutely, adamantly, working-class game is.............your game. All other sports cater to the whole spectrum of the population, as evidenced by the fact that league is confined to the working-class, sadly academically deprived, segment of our population.

Woods99 said:
Define "many"? Many people get on "fine" without finishing school......up to a point. Can you nominate any well-known league players who have achieved anything in the professions, academia, or international or local business? Ron Coote's McDonald's franchises do not count.

Of course a lot of people survive without rugby in Australia. There are a lot of alternatives, including soccer, and AFL. But the only resolutely, adamantly, working-class game is.............your game. All other sports cater to the whole spectrum of the population, as evidenced by the fact that league is confined to the working-class, sadly academically deprived, segment of our population.

Ahhh wellity wellity. Look who it is...everyone's favourite oxygen thieving elitist from the north shore.

Mate, your code is dying. Go and save your energies trying to salvage it.

Sometimes, in weak moments, I might feel a little sorry for union...then I remember you are still alive.

Trying to cling to union somehow being inherrently linked to education and business is so bloody laughable. Just go away.

t-ba

Post Whore
Woods99 said:

Name some well known Rugby Union players who have achieved in those industries Woods. Well known Rugby Union Players...I'm intrigued to discover what mega-stars of the game they play in heaven are captains of Industry and luminaries of the scholarly circuit.

Yeah, Like Lachlan Murdoch, Peter Holmes-A-Court, John Singleton and Jamie Packer. Real Deprived....

t-ba

Post Whore
no.2_lukeburt said:
You havent relpied to my post mate... got you beat?

Woods is pretty removed from reality.

Since they dropped the Father-Son rule from Sydney Boys High back in the 1990's, You'd be hard pressed to find a selective school in NSW with a strong Union Program.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Define "many"? Many people get on "fine" without finishing school......up to a point. Can you nominate any well-known league players who have achieved anything in the professions, academia, or international or local business? [/bRon Coote's McDonald's franchises do not count.

John Fahey

Forward for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Premier of New South Wales
Finance Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia.

John Quayle.

Former Roosters forward, and former head-honcho of the ARL.

Leading up to the 2000 Olympic games, his events management company was in charge, he is the CEO.

Afterwards, he is widely considered the pre-eminent events manager in the world, commanding seven figure fees for consultation. He was widely involved with the Athens Olympics, he will assist with the Beijing Olympics and he consulted the London 2012 bid, which beat the favourites, Paris.

He is considered the number one in the world for what he does, and he surpasses any achievement from any elite RU player in history.

Game. Set. Match.. Rugby League.

Go F*ck yourself… you are owned.

George Peponis is a doctor.

Luke Priddis has a degree and a post graduate diploma in Financial planning. He has also started a foundation to assist with autism.

Jason King is enrolled in business law.

many others....

We've been through this game before, you lost big time.

boonboon

Juniors
Very good people you are supposed rugby league experts and you have found the odd person with success, I like both games but no one can deny that Rugby has more appeal to the business world in general and a knowledge of Rugby Union is very helpful in a business environement both in Australia and around the world much more then league which gives a bad image in the majority of cases

t-ba

Post Whore
boonboon said:
Very good people you are supposed rugby league experts and you have found the odd person with success, I like both games but no one can deny that Rugby has more appeal to the business world in general and a knowledge of Rugby Union is very helpful in a business environement both in Australia and around the world much more then league which gives a bad image in the majority of cases

Substantiate the comments. What I'm hearing is A LOT of waffle about RU that is very rarely backed up by actual fact. It's tired, bored and old.

nqboy

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
Its not originally my thought, but I heard this on the radio last week and saw a lot of merit to it.

Too many night games.

I don't know where there are stats to confirm or deny this, but after hearing the pro's & cons I believe that this may be adversely affecting Sydney Crowds.

As any league fan in Sydney knows, the weekend round of league used to be one Saturday arvo game, then the rest played Sunday arvo. So your tradition was to go to watch your side play on the hill in the arvo sun - was a family day out.

Cronulla (as I recall) were the first side to experiment with Saturday night fixtures, which went quite well. And fast forward to present day, the Super Saturday is a huge event for Fox, a huge stakeholder in RL.

Of the 8 games in round 1, only two were sheduled for "day" matches, and both were outside Sydney. Indeed for the rest of this season this will be the case (2 out of 8 day matches), with some of these in Sydney from time to time.

Arvo matches are much more "family-friendly". No need for the kids to stay out late, and less of a presence of alcohol. I love my night footy, I reckon the atmosphere is far greater than day games, but one of the reasons for this is the booze factor. I'm no wowser, but if I had kids I'd also be hesitant to take them to the game at night, the language flying around can be very colourful indeed.

The caller who spoke of this on talkback was commenting on his experiences and basically said that he wouldn't take his kids to night footy games. He would only take them if their side was playing during the day, and when you consider the 2/8 day games per season - his club may only play 1-2 day games in Sydney all year. I'm sure he's not the only one.

So who's the big winner out of this? Well Fox do very well, out of it. They pay many of the NRL's bills with their agreement and Super Saturday - and impending Monday Night Football are guaranteed ratings winners. The other winner....

The Swans.

Regularly play Sunday afternoon games, minimum one per month. Always draw well. Full of families at the game. Impressionable young kids, many of whom will grow up and play sport. So what will they play..........

Ratings have always been a strong point of Rugby League, but I now see that there could be a looming dark cloud on the horizon if we don't have more league games played during the daytime in Sydney. Yes, crowd figures are up from the days of your saturday & sunday arvo games in Sydney. But so too is the competition from other sports, AFL in particular, targetted at families. Indeed the callers sons were hassling their dad to take them to a swans game, which he was horrified at.

A family who has Fox can watch their side run around on a saturday night in the comfort of their living room without the pissheads, dickheads carrying on, and the kids can be in bed at a reasonable hour. With more an more night games in the season this will be increasingly the case. When there are no day games in Sydney on a given weekend, and the Swans are playing on Sunday arvo at the SCG, you'll find their crowds are pretty damn big.

I fear that this may become the new tradition for the next generation.
A good point BBJF and certainly one worth looking at. One possible option would be 3p,5p,7p games on Foxsports and then they follow with a 2 hour show that either reviews or previews the games. That way, they extend their coverage while protecting their ratings.

One small point i would raise is that you'd have to be careful about giving the Cowboys 3p or 5p games, it can get pretty hot up here.

On other points raised, there's no chance of HAC becoming CEO as he would not be able to reconcile the good of the game with ownership by News. The CEO's position is that of a News apologist and that won't change while they still own the game.

Most clubs have family areas but these are often the lesser seats. Change the alcohol free areas to the areas from the 1/4 line to the 10m line. This would allow you to keep the best seats, 10m to 10m either side of halfway, as premium seats. Advertise substantial discounts for family tickets and even consider letting kids in free with a paying adult. Reduce the cost of food and beverages. It's just a sick joke that a 600ml Coke is $4 at Lang Park and that's got to frighten families away. Other posters are right, we want to encourage as many kids as we can to come to the footy on a regular basis so they grow up with a footy habit.

While I recognise the atmosphere on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Leichardt, Kogarah and elsewhere, I agree that all (or almost all-) seater stadiums are to be preferred. Dunno how we achieve that, generally it's only with substantial, almost total, state government funding can that be achieved. I imagine most of the rundown suburban grounds were built decades ago and have been marginalised by shifting demographics and transport links but clubs must do what they can to smooth the transport woes.

The promotion and marketing of the game is an absolute joke. The NRL can and must do so much more and it must work with the media to develop a better culture of highlighting the good and not sensationalising the bad.

What'd I miss?

t-ba

Post Whore
nqboy said:
On other points raised, there's no chance of HAC becoming CEO as he would not be able to reconcile the good of the game with ownership by News. The CEO's position is that of a News apologist and that won't change while they still own the game.

News Limited wouldn't allow someone who won't to the 'NRL Line' absolutely become CEO, simple as that.

Gallop could be a good CEO, but he's on strings. Until the Ownership and Board structure change, he's the best we can hope for.

miccle

Bench
Woods99 said:
as evidenced by the fact that league is confined to the working-class, sadly academically deprived, segment of our population.

:lol:

sh*t, what am I doing? A uni degree, married, earning well over the average aussie salary at age 22 in a white collar industry and I've been a league fan all my life. Sit in between a lawyer and a software developer at Suncorp, too.

We must be a minority :roll:

dimitri

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
John Fahey

Forward for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Premier of New South Wales
Finance Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia.

John Quayle.

Former Roosters forward, and former head-honcho of the ARL.

Leading up to the 2000 Olympic games, his events management company was in charge, he is the CEO.

Afterwards, he is widely considered the pre-eminent events manager in the world, commanding seven figure fees for consultation. He was widely involved with the Athens Olympics, he will assist with the Beijing Olympics and he consulted the London 2012 bid, which beat the favourites, Paris.

He is considered the number one in the world for what he does, and he surpasses any achievement from any elite RU player in history.

Game. Set. Match.. Rugby League.

Go F*ck yourself… you are owned.

George Peponis is a doctor.

Luke Priddis has a degree and a post graduate diploma in Financial planning. He has also started a foundation to assist with autism.

Jason King is enrolled in business law.

many others....

We've been through this game before, you lost big time.

Quite a few players also have law degrees

I believe Matt Rodwell, president of the players association is one of them.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
boonboon said:

Yet no elite Rugby Union player in history has acheived as much success in life as John Fahey or John Quayle.

RU is a hinderance to your career if you're a high flyer. If you're willing to accept mid-tier mediocrity, RU will pretty much pigeon-hole you there.

Woods99 said:

Oh dear... :?

Your ignorance (or is that just rank stupidity?) is breathtaking but it's not as pathetic or offensive as your class bigotry which is like a throwback to the 1950s (oddly enough, the decade in which you were growing up - yes women are now allowed to drive cars! Catholics can work in the public service!).

Explain to me what the 'working class' is Woods? If such a class exists then what is wrong with being a member of it? Are you morally or intellectually superior to this class? What class are you a member of? What class are your neighbours on the Central Coast members of?

Things have changed, Woods - the world has moved on. If you weren't such an evil bigot I would feel sorry for you that you didn't move with it. It must be sad living in a world that no longer conforms to your distorted notions of heirarchy and class.

Strangely enough people from all walks of life support Rugby league - they always have. Ever heard of Dr. Herbert Vere Evatt? He was Australia's youngest High Court justice (appointed at age 36), the first President of the UN's General Assembly and the founder of the University of Sydney Rugby league Club.

For the record, I (like many other forumers) have a university education - BA (Hons I) LLB from Macquarie University. Strangely enough, in the 6 years I was there I formed friendships with plenty of Rugby league fans (a mix of private and public school graduates) with whom I continue to attend matches and play Oztag with. This may blow your mind, Woods, but statistically public school graduates (such as myself) on average perform better in both the HSC and at University. Shock Horror! The working class is becoming educated! :crazy:

I'm sorry, Woods - but class bigotry isn't particularly funny. Anyone who has read your posts on Planet Rugby would know what a twisted, prejudiced, backward idiot you are.

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:

You are a bitter and stupid old bastard, Woods. :lol:

Obviously the Tahs crowds are hurting a fair bit at your place... :lol: :lol:

Can I nominate any?

Well here's two I have worked with directly: Michael Searle and Mike Eden (former an accountant, latter a lawyer - both played NRL or equivalent). Gee, that was casting the net wide...

I guess people like Peter Holmes a Court, the Packers, Murdochs, John Singleton, Nick Politis etc. etc. (all rugby league people) have never succeeded in business. They are all so very working class as well. One often sees them down at the local RSL having a middy. :roll:

Your rant says so much more about you than your subject. Thanks for the entertainment.

nqboy said:
A good point BBJF and certainly one worth looking at. One possible option would be 3p,5p,7p games on Foxsports and then they follow with a 2 hour show that either reviews or previews the games. That way, they extend their coverage while protecting their ratings.

One small point i would raise is that you'd have to be careful about giving the Cowboys 3p or 5p games, it can get pretty hot up here.

Thanks NQ. Just to confirm, this is about Sydney games. The cowbangers home games wouldn't be altered. It all about gettting maximum crowd attendances at Sydney club games. Ziggy also raised some good ideas which I reckon have great potential.

I believe that to get maximum crowds such games should be between 2 sydney clubs, & held every Sunday at the SFS. This ensures that there is always a Sunday "day" game in Sydney every week. Thats not to say that there wont be one in NQld, Bris etc as well, but there's a huge need to ensure we (sydney) cater for all fans, many of whom aren't keen to go to night games for the reason I have mentioned.

If the NRL hit on these concepts mentioned, I will bet both my bollocks that it would be a surefire success.

Woods99

Juniors
Calixte said:
You are a bitter and stupid old bastard, Woods. :lol:

Are you really an academic?

Water, ducks, backs. Can you comprehend that?

Obviously the Tahs crowds are hurting a fair bit at your place... :lol: :lol:

Not at all. The Tahs are going through a rough patch, losing their three best forwards to injury more-or-less before the season started.

Can I nominate any?

Well here's two I have worked with directly: Michael Searle and Mike Eden (former an accountant, latter a lawyer - both played NRL or equivalent). Gee, that was casting the net wide...

Two. That's fantastic. You know that there are there are thousands of ex-rugby players in the professions and business.

Some of the standouts: Michael Hawker (have you heard of him?), Nick Farr-Jones (Societe Generale), John Eales (Bankers Trust), Ronny Graham, Chairman of the ARU and a managing partner in Heidrich Struggles (genuine international headhunters, if you are interested.

I guess people like Peter Holmes a Court, the Packers, Murdochs, John Singleton, Nick Politis etc. etc. (all rugby league people) have never succeeded in business. They are all so very working class as well. One often sees them down at the local RSL having a middy. :roll:

Haccer was, by his own admission, a slow five-eighth in rugby. He played against Michael Mori when he was at University in the States. Did he ever play league? IO doubt it.

One thing is for sure, there are no rugby franchises for sale. Who is going to buy the Cowboys do you reckon? Two million dollars. Tradition for sale.:cool:

The Packers went to Cranbrook, a rugby school. Kerry played in the first XV. Maybe Jamie wasn't good enough, I don't know.

John Singleton played rugby at Fort Street (with me, as it happens), and then went on to play for quite a long time for Briars in the subbies.

Wake up, Calixte. League is a good game. But it leads nowhere for most of the guys who play it.

Playing and supporting rugby opens a lot of doors.

What did you play, by the way?

Your rant says so much more about you than your subject. Thanks for the entertainment.[/quote]

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Hey Woods,

All the guys you mention finished playing a long time ago. The reason is simple, they all started their careers in the amateur days, so it was imperative that they continued with their education for life after they retired.

Now that Union is also pro, your players will be no different. They either leave school and train fulltime, or they won't make the grade.

I work in finance, and let me tell you champ, the days of the old boys getting seats on the desk are gone. You come out of Uni with HD's to even get in the door. You hit the ground running, or you are gawn, because cash is king.

It is time to bring your thinking into the 21st Century. Oh, by the way, women also get a look in these days. ;-)

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Are you really an academic?

Water, ducks, backs. Can you comprehend that?

Not at all. The Tahs are going through a rough patch, losing their three best forwards to injury more-or-less before the season started.

Two. That's fantastic. You know that there are there are thousands of ex-rugby players in the professions and business.

Some of the standouts: Michael Hawker (have you heard of him?), Nick Farr-Jones (Societe Generale), John Eales (Bankers Trust), Ronny Graham, Chairman of the ARU and a managing partner in Heidrich Struggles (genuine international headhunters, if you are interested.

Haccer was, by his own admission, a slow five-eighth in rugby. He played against Michael Mori when he was at University in the States. Did he ever play league? IO doubt it.

One thing is for sure, there are no rugby franchises for sale. Who is going to buy the Cowboys do you reckon? Two million dollars. Tradition for sale.:cool:

The Packers went to Cranbrook, a rugby school. Kerry played in the first XV. Maybe Jamie wasn't good enough, I don't know.

John Singleton played rugby at Fort Street (with me, as it happens), and then went on to play for quite a long time for Briars in the subbies.

Wake up, Calixte. League is a good game. But it leads nowhere for most of the guys who play it.

Playing and supporting rugby opens a lot of doors.

What did you play, by the way?

Your rant says so much more about you than your subject. Thanks for the entertainment.
[/quote]

Wake up? You'll be in the ground soon. Wake up to that you old wanker.

I nominated two people I'VE worked with. You nominate the ones YOU'VE worked with. Then concede your first point was wrong.

Then move on to the fact that all of the other people I nominated are rugby league people and are successful in business. Then concede your next point was wrong.

And yes I have played at different times (and to different extents): rugby league, union, AFL, soccer, cricket, tennis, squash, golf, and a whole range of other sports.

Rugby league is a great sport with a much higher profile in Australia than rugby union. Shame about that... :lol:

And you're batting at 0 - 1150 these days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts