What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reasons for low Sydney crowds - ideas and solutions?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Ziggy the God said:
What we need is a return to a match played at the SFS every Sunday afternoon. It will always be between the Sydney teams, and would be the match of the day (ie delay on Fox, so that people go to the match). Kickoff at 2pm, giving enough time to get home for the families. Had a look at home many families go to Swans games.

If you want to take it further, play a double header every Saturday night at Telstra. Great value, an event every week.People will know that there is always a game on at this location on this day, and they will be more likely to come.
I really like both of these idea's.

edit: The only problem (debatable if it's actually a problem at all) is that if they went ahead with this that Sydney teams would play a lot less games at their home grounds and it'd become more inline with the AFL (MCG&Dome). It'd certainly improve the game's image among non-rl fans if teams were regularly playing at high quality stadiums.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The easiest and best way to increase crowds is to do the season schedule for the whole season. This way people can work out which games they can attend during the season and makes plan around them.

Having a game somewhere around a 4 day period is just not good enough. I want to go to Melbourne and Brisbane to watch the Dogs play, but it's just not possible with only a 5 week period to decide, buy plane tickets, organise accomodation etc.

Copa

Bench
Proper rain cover for atleast 20,000 seats per stadium ...

minimise the number of games on mothers day... they crowds are tiny on mum's day.

Stadiums where the seats start right down near the sideline...including the ends.

Payment plans for season tickets for X-mas presents and the like.... it could even be centralised...a Chrisco style set-up

Send invites to other teams websites to invite away fans to game and give deatils on transport/tickets, and if required, accommodation.

griff

Bench
ali said:
Actually having a decent crack at changing the percpetion of boganess and RL with a decent media / advertising campaign would be a good start.

That's absolutely true. A lot of people don't go to RL games because of the downmarket bogan image.

It is more than just a media and advertising thing (although it is definitely that), building prestige needs to go through everything the clubs and NRL do on and off the field. Little things that sound stupid on their own, like making all coaches wear suits, post match interviews done with players wearing a club tie and blazer instead of half naked with their team-mates trying to make them laugh, making club jerseys look less tacky by having the sponsors blend in better like they do in EPL, the NRL associating with more upmarket sponsors (like Crown lager rather than VB), banning Tommy Raudonikis from ever appearing on tv again etc.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
griff said:
That's absolutely true. A lot of people don't go to RL games because of the downmarket bogan image.
I'm setting myself up here for a witticism or two but Brisbane doesn't have this problem at all. I think that there are certain people in the Sydney media who have not got the interests of rl at heart when they comment on the game. It's really a priority to fix.

stitch6004

Juniors
more day games are better for everyone there would be a much better chance of the game being televised in perth and adelaide and with the time difference in nz more people could watch the games. there are way to many night games imo

griff

Bench
Lockyer4President! said:
I'm setting myself up here for a witticism or two but Brisbane doesn't have this problem at all. I think that there are certain people in the Sydney media who have not got the interests of rl at heart when they comment on the game. It's really a priority to fix.

I think your right. I haven't spent a huge amount of time in Brisbane but it doesn't really have the same stuck up latte-swilling vibe that a lot of the "beautiful" people in Sydney have.

You see it in the crowd, especially with the Titans game. A lot of young good-looking professional types in the crowd, that you used to get in Sydney only at Waratahs games.

Calculus

Juniors
I think there are two main reasons why Sydney crowds tend to be lower than non-Sydney crowds:

1. The average person from Sydney is less likely to be interested in rugby league than the average person from QLD and regional NSW.

2. The Sydney area is split between 8 and a half clubs (counting St George Illawarra as a half).

There are other factors, but I think they mostly stem from these two.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
(i) Public transport to the game. Such a game will no doubt include "outer" Sydney teams. Say for instance The Dragons & Bulldogs. A sunday arvo game between these clubs would draw a huge gate if public transport was vastly improved.

Promote the game where Public Transport is free with ticket price (Bus & Train). Also need a direct Bus Lane route from Central to the SFS, with plenty of buses of course. The current hike through Surry Hills is horrible

Exactly. In Brissy we get free public transport to the games. There's a train station next to the stadium, and a bus depot underneath. Considering the number of people that go through the gates some days, it works beautifully. Lang Park's new, free, transport has brought so many fans back.

It was instigated by the Qld Government... NSW would be crazy to not do the same.

Woods99

Juniors
t-ba said:
Kids of parents at Selective Schools don't care for Union. That's why most of them are lucky to field a second grade side these days...

?????? Nothing wrong with playing second grade, is there? Do you have any proof that parents of kids at selective school would prefer their schools to be playing league?

In fact, one of the real advantages of rugby union is that you can continue to play it as an adult, at sub-district level, just for enjoyment. First grade or seventh grade. Great friendship and networking opportunities.

A background in rugby union is a huge advantage in many professional and business careers, particularly where there is an international flavour.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Lots of bullsh*it creeping into this thread.

I went to a private school and i played rugby league.

Yobbos drink crown lager too. They only way to keep the yobbo out is to price him out, and that would also turn away the families. Townsville has the heaviest drinking crowd by a large margin and it hasn't affected their crowds at all. In fact besides Lang Park that place has the next best atmosphere in the league - because it has a crowd, and a vocal one to boot.

I think it just boils down to the apathy of the average sydneyite. And the fact the RL is a sport better viewed on tv as apposed to AFL which is best viewed live.

Sydney crowds are only going to get worse from here on in I feel. Same as their football teams.

Calculus

Juniors
TheBourbonBeast said:
And the fact the RL is a sport better viewed on tv as apposed to AFL which is best viewed live.

If that really had an affect, we'd see it everywhere not just in Sydney.

Mary

Juniors
Most people just aren't prepared to fork out upwards of $30-$40 a ticket, then pay extortionist prices for food and drinks, when one can watch it on telly, be it in a pub, club or home. People aren't going to go just for the sake of "supporting Rugby League" if it costs an arm and a leg.

Put the gate and vendor prices down would be a good start it trying to lure people back to the game and turning "one game a year" supporters into "four or five games a year" supporters.

Clubs should also seriously look at their pre-match and half-time entertainment, most games I've been to is absolute rubbish. Why not can all the showy garbage and use the time to celebrate the game itself. Bring some ex-players back, interview them, show some highlights of past games, tell some stories - kind of like a Boots and All type setup focusing on the home team.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Between Mark123 and BBJohnF you have a the answers the question.

Centralised Modern Stadiums that act as a Hub to a city or urban environment with easy public transport access. Perfect Examples Are Telstra Dome, MCG, Suncorp (lesser extent Homebush).

Scheduling times

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:
A background in rugby union is a huge advantage in many professional and business careers, particularly where there is an international flavour.

:lol: :lol:

Now you have no idea what you're talking about.

RU is widely considered in the upper echelons of the business world as a freemasons for morons.

RU is only kept alive outside of NZ, Wales and the pacific islands by private schools. Also in the private schools it is only followed by the morons in that segment. Intelligent kids at private school refuse to acknowledge the existence of RU. They will elect for rowing, cricket, field hockey or tennis.

This leaves the ENTIRETY of the mainstream RU fan base as those below average intelligence.

Now admittedly these private school types will get mid-tier positions in finance firms and the like because the 'Network' of old school boys have to maintain value to these old school ties.... but the RU types only get jobs like floor traders.

Anyone knows today that following RU is pretty much a career killer. If you aspire to CFO type positions, you stay away from RU.

RU world cups for example are known as moron conventions, you may appear there to fleece some idiots of their money.

Following RU does one thing to your career.... it pigeon-holes you as a mediocre performer, and if you want to make any serious dollars, you have to be sent to third world sh*t holes like Thailand or Dubai where you can hopefully find arbitrage opportunities. The serious performers, the ones that climb the ladder in the proper cities like London, Tokyo, Sydney, New York.... RU is not followed, RU is used to filter d*ckheads away from them.

t-ba

Post Whore
Woods99 said:
?????? Nothing wrong with playing second grade, is there? Do you have any proof that parents of kids at selective school would prefer their schools to be playing league?

I never made an assertion of that nature. What I said was 'Parents of Kids at selective schools don't care for union.' This can be seen by the fact that most are lucky to field full second grade Union outfits. They'd rather their children be getting good enough grades and be doing enough extra-curricular activities to get a cadet ship from KPMG. The majority of Selective school children are kids of immigrants who only heard of Rugby (in either code) some time in the weeks after they arrived in this country.

In fact, one of the real advantages of rugby union is that you can continue to play it as an adult, at sub-district level, just for enjoyment. First grade or seventh grade. Great friendship and networking opportunities.

You can derive benefits of those fashions from a number of team sports besides Union...

Golf's better...more money changes hands on the green than will ever at the Social club.

KA raises an excellent point. I'm struggling to think of Scions of Commerce as powerful Lachlan Murdoch, John Singleton and Jamie Packer that show the same level of interest in Union that those three do in League. Surely you can point them out...

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Woods99 said:

I go to the second best school in the state (academically), and yes... the only sport offered is Yawnion. Growing up from yr 7, to be currently in yr 12 at this school, i have learned that noone cares about Union in the slightest. Only union is offered for Grade sport, but all the teachers, and students are league fanatics... quite a few on this site actually. The majority of the parents of selective schools would rather their kids played Piano or Flute and went home and studied, as footy is yet to infriltrate the asian culture (yes, 90% of my school is of asian descent) however, the student love their league... and it the only lunchtime game to be played etc. etc.

It must be noted that my school is located in the middle of Rugby Union territory, so things arentl looking good for you rah rahs

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:

Many get along fine without union, wamberal. :lol:

Enjoying the trend in the 'Tahs crowds are you?