What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rebuilding phase

hindy111

Post Whore
We now enter the rebuild phase. I formone feel it won't be as long a rebuild as the Tigers or Dogs. However it will be longer then if we pulled the pin when I called for it.
In 2021 we still had Jnr,Matoo,Lane,Rcg,Guth,Sivo under contract for all of 2022. I was vocal about not signing all of them as they are ending and looking for their final pay day. We let young bucks go in Kafusi, Stefano,Stone,Marata,Mahoney, Papali'i.
Yes it meant a dip in 2023 (which happened anyway) but 2024 would of been on the up and 2025 your back in the top 4 mix.

But we can't change the past. I still think the building blocks are in place to push for top 4 by 2027. With some smart management even 2026 is possible.

Here are the players I have as part of our long term succession

1 Talagi - I still think he is a fullback and by 2026 will be a good one.
2 Lomax
3 Penisini
4 .............
5 ..............
6 Dylan
7 Moses
9 MA ( Hopefully he develops )
11 Guymer
12 Bryce
13 Hopgood ( If backs ok )

15 Kelma
16 Morretti
17 Tuivati

We are going to need 2 x quality props. A centre and a winger. If a quality 2nd rower become available its also a position we can look at.
A lot does depend on the development of these juniors also but I'd be backing Tuvati,Blaize and Guymer to be good players. MA size is always going to be a disadvantage.
There are also a few other juniors thst may step up but for now its safer to suggest we need to find them eternally and view them as back ups.
The possitives are the positions that are empty in the forwards are being filled by players on HUGE dollars. Guthersons 800k we could use to buy a quality winger for 500k for example.
We just need to get them right. I would only be looking at guys who are mid 20s at the oldest. And also be looking to raid juniors from Canberra and the Dogs who have stacked their pathways. They won't be able to keep them all.

One thing we can't do is if we have a bit of a bounce back next year is go and extend guys like Gutherson or Matto for example. We must move on.

JokerEel

Coach
Guymer is being developed into a ball playing lock. Which I am excited about actually.

Carty is not a starting second rower...

Riley Smith could be a good dummy half he probably is better than MA..

Brazel also be included.

I think it's a four year rebuild process from here unfortunately, but shouldn't (with a decent coach having a say in recruitment and development systems) take any longer than that.

Year One 2025 - Watch who shows desire and improvement under the new coach, and re-sign them if their contract is due to expire. Let others contracts expire and buy in replacements for 2026. Expect to improve to finish top 12, maybe scrap 8th place.

Year Two 2026 - Same as above really. Expect to make the top 8 by now, maybe scrape second week of finals (final 6) if we're lucky.

Year Three 2027 - Rinse and repeat as above, now we have a pretty hungry and fit for purpose squad that should be final 4 if they are all improving and firing for the coach.

Year Four 2028 - Extend coach's contract by a further three years for 2029 if made top 4 (in 2027) or top 8 twice (2026 and 2027). Extend contract by one year for 2029 with a one year club option if made top 8 only in 2027 (with KPI to make top 4 in 2028). If hasn't met any of the above, make 2028 coach's final year and sign someone else for 2029 - and start over again 😂.

Here are the players I think can contribute greatly to what will be a three-four season rebuild phase:

?. Lomax (position to be decided)
7. Moses
?. Hands (position to be decided)

The rest, including younger ones... it just depends whether they want to turn up or not? Not many of them are showing that type of desire this season.

Some current experienced players (Paulo, Reg, Sivo, Gutho, Lane, Matterson, Bryce) will be too old or cooked come year three to be part of the rebuild. We need to buy in people that are hungry to win and improve, as each existing contract ends.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I’m probably in the minority here. I don’t think the rebuild will take four years. In fact I think with another couple of smart buys in the off season, next year we make the 8.

Someone I know who’s got a few connections at the Sharkies has also heard we are talking with Kayal Iro. I’d love to see him play for us.

Hopefully Guymer gets a run shortly. I think blooding these youngsters is going to help us moving forward.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think it's a four year rebuild process from here unfortunately, but shouldn't (with a decent coach having a say in recruitment and development systems) take any longer than that.

Year One 2025 - Watch who shows desire and improvement under the new coach, and re-sign them if their contract is due to expire. Let others contracts expire and buy in replacements for 2026. Expect to improve to finish top 12, maybe scrap 8th place.

Year Two 2026 - Same as above really. Expect to make the top 8 by now, maybe scrape second week of finals (final 6) if we're lucky.

Year Three 2027 - Rinse and repeat as above, now we have a pretty hungry and fit for purpose squad that should be final 4 if they are all improving and firing for the coach.

Year Four 2028 - Extend coach's contract by a further three years for 2029 if made top 4 (in 2027) or top 8 twice (2026 and 2027). Extend contract by one year for 2029 with a one year club option if made top 8 only in 2027 (with KPI to make top 4 in 2028). If hasn't met any of the above, make 2028 coach's final year and sign someone else for 2029 - and start over again 😂.

No way. Not with our halves and Lomax. 2027 is worse case. I wouldn't be suprised if we stuck into bottom of 8 next year but expect we will in 2026.

Gronk

Staff member
I’m probably in the minority here. I don’t think the rebuild will take four years. In fact I think with another couple of smart buys in the off season, next year we make the 8.

Someone I know who’s got a few connections at the Sharkies has also heard we are talking with Kayal Iro. I’d love to see him play for us.

Hopefully Guymer gets a run shortly. I think blooding these youngsters is going to help us moving forward.

Agree, but when these kids get a go at NRL, merkins need to acknowledge that the pace is far quicker than they have ever experienced PLUS rookies will make plenty of mistakes.

In short merkins, please don't write them off.

Sterlo said he needs to see a player reach 100 games before he can make a call on their ability and character. After the Newie match, Blaize was declared a myth FFS.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm keen to see Arthur Miller-Stephen back in action, and Richard Penisini.

They're both pretty quick, and should add plenty to our backline.

But it's not looking too good - we don't even have a coach at the moment.

I still maintain my opinion that sacking the coach without a real replacement in place was not a good move, despite the fact Arthur had to go.

Delboy

First Grade
Looks like the big issue is the position of the cap, with a lot of contracted players on decent money still with the club, there may not be as much room available as there should be. Will be more than a little interesting to see how the club moves forward to either make room or is it more a question again of signing projects, Lomax aside.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Agree, but when these kids get a go at NRL, merkins need to acknowledge that the pace is far quicker than they have ever experienced PLUS rookies will make plenty of mistakes.

In short merkins, please don't write them off.

Sterlo said he needs to see a player reach 100 games before he can make a call on their ability and character. After the Newie match, Blaize was declared a myth FFS.

He's not a myth - there's clearly talent there.

But he hasn't improved under the high ball at all, his defence is still garbage, and even his footing hasn't improved (hey, get some new footy boots, mate!).

I'd like to keep him, as there is clearly ability there.

But if he left, I wouldn't slit my wrists.

Also, he's not as quick as I remember.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
He's not myth - there's clearly talent there.

But he hasn't improved under the high ball at all, his defence is still garbage, and even his footing hasn't improved (hey some new footy boots, mate!).

100 games to see talent is ridiculous. You can see it within 20 games I reckon. Sure they won't be anywhere near peak but you can tell if they will be an NRL player or not.
After 3-4 full years of NRL they'd have to be close to the finish product. They may have a few better years but they'd be close to as good as they'll get.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ru.ssel for example. He is bog average. He may develop into a solid NRL winger but that would be his ceiling. He doesn't have the physical attributes to be very good. No major flaws just average player.
Talagi on the other hand has shown glimpses of elite. He just has major flaws. If he can iron those out he potentially could be a star

Incorrect

Coach
Looks like the big issue is the position of the cap, with a lot of contracted players on decent money still with the club, there may not be as much room available as there should be. Will be more than a little interesting to see how the club moves forward to either make room or is it more a question again of signing projects, Lomax aside.
The cap is the biggest issue without doubt. There's way too much money tied up in the likes of Lane, Paulo and Matterson and they're still here until end of 2026 right?? New coaching and a rebuild is going to be severely hamstrung by some of those deals unless by some miracle of miracles when can move them on with only very minimal contribution to their future earnings elsewhere....

Gazzamatta

Coach
I'm keen to see Arthur Miller-Stephen back in action, and Richard Penisini.

They're both pretty quick, and should add plenty to our backline.

But it's not looking too good - we don't even have a coach at the moment.

I still maintain my opinion that sacking the coach without a real replacement in place was not a good move, despite the fact Arthur had to go.
Are they quick? I thought Talagi was quick but sadly not. Both these guys are coming off ACLs as well although Douhie showed surprising speed last week. The player Im most excited about is Ethyn Martin. That guy definitely has some wheels. Gee I hope we get some good coaching into him.

hindy111

Post Whore
The cap is the biggest issue without doubt. There's way too much money tied up in the likes of Lane, Paulo and Matterson and they're still here until end of 2026 right?? New coaching and a rebuild is going to be severely hamstrung by some of those deals unless by some miracle of miracles when can move them on with only very minimal contribution to their future earnings elsewhere....

2 million there. Add Sivo and its 2.5 off dead wood.
Gutherson 800k also. That's 3.3million there. Now I wouldn't say we save that as they are playing to a level of NRL standard. But Jnr now you'd find a propr for 350k at his level.
Lane 300k. Matto 400k and Sivo 250k. Guth I'd say 450k
There value is 1.75million if asked me. So we are wasting 1.7mill.

Who in our side is providing value? On unders?
Nobody

Gronk

Staff member
He's not myth - there's clearly talent there.

But he hasn't improved under the high ball at all, his defence is still garbage, and even his footing hasn't improved (hey some new footy boots, mate!).

Not saying it was you, but there were plenty on other socials that declared Blaize was a slow disappointment because he didn't catch Bradman Best twice after giving him 10 or 15m head start. Pretty harsh.