What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rebuilding phase

Gronk

Staff member
100 games to see talent is ridiculous. You can see it within 20 games I reckon. Sure they won't be anywhere near peak but you can tell if they will be an NRL player or not.
After 3-4 full years of NRL they'd have to be close to the finish product. They may have a few better years but they'd be close to as good as they'll get.
So at 22 or 23 and 100 games a player won't much get better ?

Bandwagon

Staff member
On topic, I reckon the addition of Lomax plus with any luck another decent signing or two and we make the eight next year.

I kinda feel that even though we are having a merkin of a year, we are really not that far off the pace. This year I reckon there's not a lot of difference between say 5th and last, but obviously enough to leave us where we are.

No need to blow up the joint

King-Gutho94

Coach
On topic, I reckon the addition of Lomax plus with any luck another decent signing or two and we make the eight next year.

I kinda feel that even though we are having a merkin of a year, we are really not that far off the pace. This year I reckon there's not a lot of difference between say 5th and last, but obviously enough to leave us where we are.

No need to blow up the joint
I reckon we need to move on 2 out of Lane, Matto & Paulo and get some fresh blood at the end of the year in the forwards.

They don't have the drive or hunger anymore.

But moving 2 of them on would free up a fresh change in the forwards

Matto shouldn't even be playing in 12-18 months if were being realistic about his long-term health..

The vision of him stumbling in the broncos game was a horrible look considering he didn't play for 6 weeks after it.

It was like he got touched or knocked by a feather-duster.

If he gets another one the club and matto need to start really thinking about his long-term future in the game.

In saying that it wouldn't surprise me if we lose Reg in the next 12-18 months as well and he goes over to the UK to finish his playing days over there.

Incorrect

Coach
The vision of him stumbling in the broncos game was a horrible look considering he didn't play for 6 weeks after it.

It was like he got touched or knocked by a feather-duster.

If he gets another one the club and matto need to start really thinking about his long-term future in the game.
This.

I actually think player/club are being negligent already in letting him play on after that Broncos knock. That would have been the last straw for me I was his doctor/family...

King-Gutho94

Coach
Agree our pack needs change, it's been over rated for a coupla years now I reckon and it's showing.
Yep smart clubs rebuild & reload in 1 or 2 years.

We have the 2 x halves in place.

Its time to reset the forward pack and add 1 more strike weapon to the outside backs to get the right pieces around them.

Clubs like the Dogs, Dragons and Tigers would have killed to have our halves in the past 5 years stuck down the bottom.

They would have got out a lot quicker.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Not saying it was you, but there were plenty on other socials that declared Blaize was a slow disappointment because he didn't catch Bradman Best twice after giving him 10 or 15m head start. Pretty harsh.

yeah I agree, he's only 19 forced to play at a level he shouldn't be at this stage of his career, late in the game where he would probably lack that speed or stamina that he probably should carry at that level.

I'm hoping it won't affect his development but I'm confident he'll be ok.

I'm not sure if ity was pretty harsh but i think it's pretty dopey to make that call on him based on what we've seen so far.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yep smart clubs rebuild & reload in 1 or 2 years.

Yeah, The smarter clubs reload, they don't need to rebuild because they manage to retain the right core group of players which they then build around. It's not always the same players year in year out, it's the right players.

A rebuild is only needed for two reasons, because you completely f**ked your recruitment, or you back-loaded your contracts to open a premiership window which is now closed. Both cases meaning you've f**ked your cap for a good while.

I think for sure our cap is under pressure next year, too many blokes on too much money getting near the end of their career, but I don't reckon we've quite f**ked it yet.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ru.ssel for example. He is bog average. He may develop into a solid NRL winger but that would be his ceiling. He doesn't have the physical attributes to be very good. No major flaws just average player.
Talagi on the other hand has shown glimpses of elite. He just has major flaws. If he can iron those out he potentially could be a star
Developing players like Russell, is exactly what we need to be doing. Average is ok, most players are, and developing them yourself means you get them cheap. And rarely pay overs as you aren't paying for potential.

Elite players will always get their market value and expect big dollars early for their potential.

BTW, Russell is developing nicely, only 22. No superstar but will be a solid player. He is our "Nick Meaney"....type player...

Avenger

Immortal

The deal with the Eels: Time for roster renovations?​

Not since claiming the 2018 wooden spoon has Parramatta sat in last place (they’re now up to 16th, thanks to the Tigers’ heavy defeat on Sunday) and while last time Brad Arthur was backed to overhaul his roster and revive the Eels fortunes, this time he’s been shown the door.

Parramatta’s line-up against Newcastle featured 10 of the 18-man 2022 grand final squad, including big-earners Mitchell Moses, Dylan Brown, Clint Gutherson, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo and Ryan Matterson.
Theirs is arguably the most top-heavy roster in the NRL, which is where the lengthy injuries to Gutherson and Moses this season, and absences of players like Brown and Matterson last year, have had such an impact.

Of the Eels’ heavy-hitters, only Moses has improved since that fairytale 2022 run, while Gutherson has been as consistent as ever.

It’s not often you find a team running last also using the fewest players (26) in the competition, a figure that was lifted by Matt Arthur’s debut and Matt Doorey’s first game of 2024 on Saturday.

So the question looms for Parramatta’s next coach: can the Eels’ big guns be lifted back to their best, or is it time to take a broom to the roster?

f36e434349309fc6903a0a2383c4af83bfe850d4

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The "rebuild" won't take long, may/may not struggle next year, but our cap is bloody excellent shape for 2026.

We will have plenty of cash to spent.

Only 8 players contracted (assuming PO are taken up) for 2026. And we are shopping Sivo.

Wally21

Bench
Developing players like Russell, is exactly what we need to be doing. Average is ok, most players are, and developing them yourself means you get them cheap. And rarely pay overs as you aren't paying for potential.

Elite players will always get their market value and expect big dollars early for their potential.

BTW, Russell is developing nicely, only 22. No superstar but will be a solid player. He is our "Nick Meaney"....type player...
Sorry mate but I must be watching a different Russell. He is a top 30 squad player sure, but he is not an NRL level outside back.

Wally21

Bench
yeah I agree, he's only 19 forced to play at a level he shouldn't be at this stage of his career, late in the game where he would probably lack that speed or stamina that he probably should carry at that level.

I'm hoping it won't affect his development but I'm confident he'll be ok.

I'm not sure if ity was pretty harsh but i think it's pretty dopey to make that call on him based on what we've seen so far.
I said in the heat of the moment during the game that I can’t see it with him. Perhaps I was being harsh, but… he has MAJOR deficiencies in his game, worst of all his defence. He also lacks genuine pace. Perhaps his position is fullback as I think Some have suggested. However, he is a work in progress at the moment and not the superstar that many in the media and some here believe he is at this stage.
perhaps with great coaching that may change.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Talagi, is only 19, only had 11 nrl games, was playing out of position, scored 2 tries, made 2 TB, 2 LB, had 17 runs for 139 m......and some are doubting his ability, because he wasn't "perfect".....

He is a great talent.....one of the most promising rookies in the comp...

Stagger eel

Staff member
I said in the heat of the moment during the game that I can’t see it with him. Perhaps I was being harsh, but… he has MAJOR deficiencies in his game, worst of all his defence. He also lacks genuine pace. Perhaps his position is fullback as I think Some have suggested. However, he is a work in progress at the moment and not the superstar that many in the media and some here believe he is at this stage.
perhaps with great coaching that may change.

I think the off season will do him good, I dare say he will be better for the run this year but yeah he's got some shit in his game he needs to work on particuarly his timing under the high ball.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Are they quick? I thought Talagi was quick but sadly not. Both these guys are coming off ACLs as well although Douhie showed surprising speed last week. The player Im most excited about is Ethyn Martin. That guy definitely has some wheels. Gee I hope we get some good coaching into him.

Miller-Stephen had some speed to him, prior to is injury.

Richard was quicker than Will but maybe not an out-and-out speedster.