What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The refs

Ike E Bear

Juniors
As an Eels fan, I think it was obviously a bad call. The pass was forward and it shouldn't have been a try. Simple.

Furthermore, I don't think the Eels were the better team on the day. Mind you, it's hard to say Manly deserved to win either. Both team's wouldn't want to repeat their respective horror halves.

Most importanly, I think Manly may have played Hayne and the Eels into some form, though. Even if we'd lost, I think the end of the game would have been a massive positive. Hopefully the 50 minute mark was the corner the Eels needed to turn (stop kicking it out on the full in warm weather might aid in that as well).

clipser

Juniors
I love it how the eels all jump in and try to justify that win... the referee handed them the game. Deal with it.

Glenn

First Grade
Oh so spear tackles are now allowed, likewise professional fouls without ending up in the bin...good to know. :cool:

Sleep

Juniors
I've only watched four games this year and the refs have been god awful in all of them. Inconsistent and just useless.

The Manly/Parramatta game was officiated terribly. I think even Joel Reddy expected that try to be called back the way he walked through the in goal while everyone in Parramatta had hands on heads looking at the ref.

clipser

Juniors
What exactly are they dealing with? 2 points? I'm sure the guilt is killing them, really. :lol:

Basically.. the points are in the bank. Whats done is done. The parra supporters dont have to answer to anyone, the refs do.

Glenn

First Grade
Why can't the video ref judge on a blatantly obvious forward pass again?

Where do you draw the line at obvious?

Camera angles leads to distortion of the pass,which is why the ability to adjuicate on forward passes was removed from the video ref.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why can't the video ref judge on a blatantly obvious forward pass again?

The on field ref isn't allowed to refer to video ref in relation to a suspect forward pass. It doesn't matter whether it's 3 metres forward or an inch. He has to call it himself not refer to the video ref.

Their powers were removed because video refs were looking at different camera angles, slowing it down to to a millisecond, and not taking into account the momentum of the ball in play when adjudicating on a forward pass and thus many fair tries were being denied.

mickdo

Coach
As posted in the Des thread:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/refs-got-it-wrong-says-refs-boss-finch-20100322-qq7u.html

SMH said:
Refs got it wrong, says refs' boss Finch

DAVID BENIUK
March 22, 2010 - 2:19PM

NRL referees' boss Robert Finch has conceded his officials made two errors, costing Manly and Parramatta points in Sunday's match at Parramatta Stadium.

Finch says the referees erred in awarding Manly's first try and an obstruction penalty should have been awarded to the Eels.

He also says the final pass for centre Joel Reddy's crucial try for Parramatta was forward.

Sea Eagles' coach Des Hasler blasted the match officials after his side's 24-20 loss.

"I'm pretty disappointed with the team's performance yesterday afternoon," Finch told reporters on Monday.

"There were two incidents in this game which led to points - the first being the first try that Manly scored which was clearly a breach of the key indicators.

"An obstruction should have been awarded against the Manly side and a penalty to the Eels."

"And the (Joel Reddy) try that the Eels scored ... the last part was clearly forward."

Finch said a decision on whether touch judge Gavin Reynolds would be dropped for round three would be made on Tuesday.

© 2010 AAP

It all evens out in the end ;-)

Eels Dude

Coach
Let's wait for those Manly fans to come out and argue how that first decision by the ref they've so condemned was correct...

Quidgybo

Bench
And there's the problem. As I said in the last thread on refs, I'd love to know where this superior standard of referee that we're judging the current crop against is hiding. Can someone please point me to the competition they're working in and tell me why they're not running around in the NRL or ESL?
Anyone? Anyone?

Iafeta

Referee
I still can't get over how the refs managed to miss a strip by Anthony Tupou on Aaron Heremaia last night (calling it a "loose carry" and knock on by Heremaia as opposed to a knock on by Tupou). It was a deliberate one on one strip and Tupou wasn't even trying to hide it. The fact that the refs and touchies could all miss that is just bizarre, like WWE refereeing.

That match was full of nonsense inconsistencies. Porter dropped the ball cold when going to play the ball, no Warrior within cooey... penalty. Maloney and Hohaia are both tackled (Maloney by a prowler on the legs) when they were kicking, no penalty, Rapira comes through to body check Porter when he's kicking and it's a penalty.

Garts

Bench
Let's wait for those Manly fans to come out and argue how that first decision by the ref they've so condemned was correct...

I thought it was fine but obviously it is against the rules. I have been whinging about the obstruction rule for a couple of years as some of the no trys have been bullsh!t.

Frailty

First Grade
That match was full of nonsense inconsistencies. Porter dropped the ball cold when going to play the ball, no Warrior within cooey... penalty. Maloney and Hohaia are both tackled (Maloney by a prowler on the legs) when they were kicking, no penalty, Rapira comes through to body check Porter when he's kicking and it's a penalty.

The rule is that if pressuring and making contact with a kicking whilst kicking, it must be an attempt at a tackle. Namely arms attempting to wrap up the player. If it is a shoulder charge, or 'body check' which is simply attempting to hit the player and not tackle them, it will be a penalty.

Iafeta

Referee
Wow gee, thanks for that. I am actually aware of that, but both Maloney and Hohaia were taken out in very similar situations.

Latest posts