What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roman Rumble 2016

Misanthrope

Staff member
Thank f**king God for that.

Best Rumble in a while, and sets up 2-4 feuds I'd like to see: Triple H v Reigns, Lesnar v Wyatt, Zayn/Styles v Owens....

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Found it pretty paint by numbers myself.

I still think the Rumbles were better when they had 2 minute intervals. Actually gave them time to tell stories and showcase wrestlers. Now it's just a conga line of people entering and then lying around the ring pretending to almost be eliminated occasionally.

Sasha Banks FTW though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
My biggest gripe with Rumbles had been that there's so much dead weight in them. If it's for the title/Mania main event, why is an also-ran like R-Truth or Goldust in there?

You couldn't find an established guest star who (storyline) sees this as his big break? You can't promote an over NXT talent who might get more of a tradition than the Artist Formerly Known as Michael McGuillicutty?

Wato

Juniors
What a predictable finish to a good rumble match. What have been nice for wwe to show some continuity with the fact reigns has gone ballistic every time he has been screwed, having him get back in the ring and destroy triple h would have been awesome and getting ambrose the belt. They are wasting the world title match at mania on a match that already has enough heat. It would be nice to see some creativity back in wwe creative.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If they were going to have anybody other than Triple H win it, it probably should have been Bray to set up a Wyatt/Lesnar title match. Even that doesn't need the belt though.

As much as I love Ambrose, the way he's booked it makes no sense for him to win it unless you were going to transition into a feud with Roman that can't happen until he's done with the authority. Turning him heel isn't a good idea, since the fans won't stop cheering him and booing Roman.

Wato

Juniors
If they were going to have anybody other than Triple H win it, it probably should have been Bray to set up a Wyatt/Lesnar title match. Even that doesn't need the belt though.

As much as I love Ambrose, the way he's booked it makes no sense for him to win it unless you were going to transition into a feud with Roman that can't happen until he's done with the authority. Turning him heel isn't a good idea, since the fans won't stop cheering him and booing Roman.

I agree on ambrose he needs to go heel but not yet. It's a real problem that for the third year in a row everyone knew the winner before the thing got started which undermines the entire event and what makes it special. Bray winning would have made them a creditable main event heel which they are sorely missing, HHH is the top heel in the company and he wrestles once or twice a year.

Misanthrope

Staff member
To be honest, I'd have taken a Hornswoggle win if it meant not having to see Reigns win it.

Wato

Juniors
i wonder if wwe creative are wise enough to have reigns mocking HHH with the fact he has beaten him twice before or the whole shield vs evolution feud will be forgotten. Smart booking would invoke the history but we are talking about wwe creative so my hopes are not to high.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I agree on ambrose he needs to go heel but not yet. It's a real problem that for the third year in a row everyone knew the winner before the thing got started which undermines the entire event and what makes it special. Bray winning would have made them a creditable main event heel which they are sorely missing, HHH is the top heel in the company and he wrestles once or twice a year.

And it's for this reason you can guarantee he won't be winning at WM. If HHH was a full time wrestler then sure I could handle this feud, but it just isn't that interesting and form the reactions I think people have had enough.

Even if we ended up with Reigns V HHH I still would have put the belt on someone else even as a transitional champion, just to give them a brief go in the spotlight (a test run if you will).

It'll be interesting to see if HHH defends his title at Fastlane or if they do the whole 'Reigns has to earn his shot at the title" thing they did last year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Reigns V Lesnar at Fastlane with Wyatt costing Lesnar the title shot.

Wato

Juniors
And it's for this reason you can guarantee he won't be winning at WM. If HHH was a full time wrestler then sure I could handle this feud, but it just isn't that interesting and form the reactions I think people have had enough.

Even if we ended up with Reigns V HHH I still would have put the belt on someone else even as a transitional champion, just to give them a brief go in the spotlight (a test run if you will).

It'll be interesting to see if HHH defends his title at Fastlane or if they do the whole 'Reigns has to earn his shot at the title" thing they did last year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Reigns V Lesnar at Fastlane with Wyatt costing Lesnar the title shot.

They will defiantly make reigns earn his shot at fastlane and I think your right with lesnar being screwed. The problem is the next two top heels are Wyatt and Owens and while I like both those guys they consistently lose big matches really since elimination chamber Owens has lost everyone of his big matches including three in a row against ambrose. Wyatt is the same story he looks good in most of his funds but loses when it matters most and it will be the same when he faces Brock. One of those guys should have won tonight and been established as a creditable top heel but for some reason wwe creative think faces have to win feuds they don't.

lafai

Bench
The fact that Reigns will be a 3 time champ after wrestlemania is wrong. I mean take his booking for tonight by example. He was in the ring fighting for like what 6-7 minutes until LoN came in for the announce table spot. Then he has a 45 minute nap at the back like why would the crowd care for a guy who wasn't even there for a majority of the match even though it was supposed to be One vs All :lol: Heck there wasn't even a Brock and Reigns interaction.

Wato

Juniors
The fact that Reigns will be a 3 time champ after wrestlemania is wrong. I mean take his booking for tonight by example. He was in the ring fighting for like what 6-7 minutes until LoN came in for the announce table spot. Then he has a 45 minute nap at the back like why would the crowd care for a guy who wasn't even there for a majority of the match even though it was supposed to be One vs All :lol: Heck there wasn't even a Brock and Reigns interaction.

I had not even realised there was no brock vs reigns moment that seems really odd booking. The thing that annoyed me with the table spot was reigns was out cold and vince is portrayed as the genius pulling the strings why not just throw him back in the ring and have someone eliminate him, his already out cold his easy pickings. Vince set up the whole match to get the belt off him and he had the perfect chance to do so right their. The table spot was really dumb booking not only for what I said above but as you said it takes reigns out of the match for the next 30 mins.

redvscotty

First Grade
I'm happy about the title winner. Reigns vs Authority should be over after Wrestlemania, at least until creative start getting stale in their story lines again. So maybe 1 week of no Reigns V Authority.

First match was sick.

US title match was full of f**k ups but I'd like to see Neville up for a shot against Kalisto.

Sasha...... no words. Sick pop. Didn't even care about the match. Could have just had the end bit with Banks and I wouldve been happy.

Tags, right team won. Division has gone stale again. Not that it was really made non stale to begin with. Can see an NXT team making the move up soon. Would love for it to be Enzo/Cass.

The Rumble itself was the best one from the last few years. AJ got a great pop, was stoked to see Sami back.

I think if we're expecting to see Bryan back soon, it's on tomorrows RAW, or the RAW after WM.

I'd like to see a Zayn/Owens/AJ fued preferably for a title. Fatal 4 way at Fastlane with chucking in Ambrose?

Evil_Mush

Juniors
So is it just me or did nobody point at the Wrestlemania sign during this PPV? That must be the first time at a Rumble since before 2004 (I think when they first started doing it in lead up to WMXX).

That alone made me happy.

Enjoyed the show and the Rumble match, while I'm happy Reigns didnt retain, really was hoping for the Ambrose win at the end there while HHH was crotch chopping merrily away. Oh well.

I figured they were going to go the Rumble '99 route with Austin... I mean Roman being taken out early by the Corporation... I mean the League of Nations before returning late in the match to just be pipped by the leader of the Corporation... I mean the Authority.
But the way they actually did it didn't help Roman at all. The fact that he got off the stretcher and walked to the back instead of returning to the ring most definitely didn't make him "look strong", and it sounds like the crowd weren't a fan of the approach either.

But taking so much time away from the Rumble for the beatdown (especially as it totally missed Kofi's elimination... grrrrrrr) was hellaciously annoying.
Saved a bit only by Rusev's hilarious hug with Vince and apparent walking away with a TV monitor (was still laughing about his "Hello nice to meet you" as well from Smackdown which I just saw this morning).

Anyhow, loved all the opening bouts, LMS match was an entertaining hardcore match, New Day All Gold Everythaaang woop, US title while a bit sloppy towards end was still fun and though I was gutted for beautiful Becky not to win, it was cool seeing Sasha get a massive reaction. Hope Becky stays in the title picture though.

AJ Styles debut and sticking around a while was great, Owens being the one to eliminate him was great , Sami then being the one to eliminate Owens was great.
R Truth confusing the Rumble with a ladder/MITB was pretty funny, Kane & Big Show being unceremoniously dumped consecutively was a nice nod to last year's horror show (though I was worried Wyatts taking on the role would suck but wasn't too annoying as Lesnar soon got involved).
Lesnar suplex citYing everyone was great. Though I was annoyed with Henry & Swagger qualifying in retrospect as it was at the expense of mah boy Sandow and they lasted maybe 30 seconds combined thanks to Brock anyway!!
Didn't mind HHH being the last entrant even though it was captain obvious moment of the year. Was good to have a number of actual contenders at the end, thought Wyatt was gonna join forces with Authority with that HHH staredown, was actually gutted to see him tossed before final 4.

Already mentioned my preference for the end (Ambrose), I do gotta wonder what the hell Roman was doing post elimination, surely she could've helped his brother with a distraction for the win rather than sulking on the ground.

Oh, and great closing shots there, give that fan a beer!

33vlxc6.png

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My only gripe with AJ was that the first thing they did was mention his innovative offense and then aside from that pele kick he really didn't do anything other than hang around and miss several Styles Clash attempts.

Small gripe, but a gripe nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing how he goes moving forward. Hopefully they give him something of note to do.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
They will defiantly make reigns earn his shot at fastlane and I think your right with lesnar being screwed. The problem is the next two top heels are Wyatt and Owens and while I like both those guys they consistently lose big matches really since elimination chamber Owens has lost everyone of his big matches including three in a row against ambrose. Wyatt is the same story he looks good in most of his funds but loses when it matters most and it will be the same when he faces Brock. One of those guys should have won tonight and been established as a creditable top heel but for some reason wwe creative think faces have to win feuds they don't.

The big problem with the "protect the good guys" mentality is that it then filters down throughout the entire roster.

Step 1) Top good guys get protected, makes top bad guys look weak

Step 2) Top bad guys get built back up at the expense of next level of good guys, resulting in those good guys looking weak.

Step 3) Rinse and repeat all the way down the roster to the point where former champions such as Big Show, Kane, Henry, Miz, Swagger are little more than enhancement talent and beating them adds no real value like it used to.

Owens, Wyatt, Rusev, Ziggler, Barrett have all been built up just to have the rug swept out from under them at various times and it seems pretty clear that Ambrose is getting as much exposure and push as he can get without them having to actually pull the trigger.

Latest posts