What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rooftop Bacardi Breezer Boys do it again......

Shorty

Staff member
i think you'd be surprised how much time the players actually have off physical work, mate. time off is for recovery which is probably more important than the training itself. games of footy knock these blokes around a bit.

a typical NRL club week playing sunday to sunday:
sunday - game
monday - recovery (at home or brought in to facility by the club)
tuesday - off
wednesday - field 45-60 mins (am); weights 45-60 mins (pm)
thursday - weights 45-60 mins (am); field 45-60 mins (pm)
Friday - off
Saturday - captains run (30 mins field session)
Sunday - game

getting on the piss on the days off defeats the purpose entirely. it's no surprise Dugan is regularly injured if days off are spent on the drink. what sort of player could he be otherwise?
Thanks for this post, these guys are professional athletes, everything you do and put into your body is important.

gregstar

Referee
Thanks for this post, these guys are professional athletes, everything you do and put into your body is important.
clearly not.

i'd suggest to you that the vast majority of players would have a drink & eat foods that wouldn't exactly be healthy.

the fact is their fitness levels & regular exercise help offset this.

otherwise how else would they celebrate victories?

you've got professional athletes all over the world using recreational drugs - and they still perform at high levels.

betcats

Referee
clearly not.

i'd suggest to you that the vast majority of players would have a drink & eat foods that wouldn't exactly be healthy.

you've got professional athletes all over the world using recreational drugs - and they still perform at high levels.

Do you think Jeff Horn was on the piss a week out from fighting Manny? Is federer knocking back beers all day 5 days out from wimbleden? Josh Dugan wants to be known as a marquee player and superstar in this league he's been talking about that al year, good luck with that. There is Federer professional and there is Nick Kyrgios professional both are freak talents and elite and what they do but they are worlds apart as tennis players, these two are a lot closer to Nick than Roger. They make good money for 10 days of luxury hotels and a bit of footy, if you cant be professional and committed for 10 days f**k off.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
clearly not.

And you say this based on what exactly?
I have a few friends of friends that played/play reserve grade footy and they have to document everything they eat/drink, they can't even take panedol without consulting advice from head of team.
If you look at the best at each sport in the world you'll likely find they at the very least abstain from alcohol in their season.
Tom Brady widely regarded as the best quarterback in the NFL does not touch alcohol, I would be surprised if Federer drinks.
The Storm, pretty much the benchmark in the NRL for years have a booze ban in place or at least they did.

Mr Saab

Referee
This would have to be the most overblown story since Trent Barrett got "exposed" doing pushups in his reg grundys.
So much outrage for a non event.

But hey, lets gloss over all of NSW results since QLD started their dominance in 2006 and put all our efforts into Dugan and Fergurson.

I dont even like either of them, but i for the perception that they are to blame, or that they should abstain from golden gatorades is laughable.

How was the performance of QLD affected in 2013 on XXXX island, or in the same year QLD go to a bar and Mal Meninga is alleged to have been ejected before game 2.

Get a grip people, the 2 NSW players didnt piss on a cop car or assault anyone or come back to camp at 3am after getting n Uber to to the Gold Coast and consorting with undesirables.

betcats

Referee
This would have to be the most overblown story since Trent Barrett got "exposed" doing pushups in his reg grundys.

But hey, lets gloss over all of NSW results since QLD started their dominance in 2006 and put all our efforts into Dugan and Fergurson.

I dont even like either of them, but i for the perception that they are to blame, or that they should abstain from golden gatorades is laughable.

How was the performance of QLD affected in 2013 on XXXX island, or in the same year QLD go to a bar and Mal Meninga is alleged to have been ejected before game 2.

Get a grip people, the 2 NSW players didnt piss on a cop car or assault anyone or come back to camp at 3am after getting n Uber to to the Gold Coast and consorting with undesirables.

No one is blaming them for the loss, I really don't think you understand the criticism being levelled at them.

Edit: Their clueless defence did contribute significantly to the loss though, but that would of happened if they went out on the piss or not IMO.

Mr Saab

Referee
I understand the inane criticism directed towards them. Its so over the top its beyond sense. But thats where we are in 2017 the era of outrage with it emanating from Rothfield and Kent and Hadley.
They are grown men in a sporting team not on day release from prison.

Shorty

Staff member
This isn't the 80s, professional athletes generally don't drink if they want 100% focus on results.

betcats

Referee
I understand the inane criticism directed towards them. Its so over the top its beyond sense. But thats where we are in 2017 the era of outrage with it emanating from Rothfield and Kent and Hadley.
They are grown men in a sporting team not on day release from prison.

Horseshit, everyone knows Origin camps have plenty of bonding and beers etc and no one has said they should be on a booze ban or locked up in their rooms, you are moving the goal post the same way one of those media personalities that you mentioned do.

They are highly paid athletes who are lucky to be in the team 2 times over. First of all they should of been banned forever four years ago, they both have form in this are at clubs and for the blues, Fergo sexually assaulted someone ffs. Secondly NSW had much better options for both their spots, Laurie and the staff showed faith in them and they repaid him with shit performances anyway.

Also this happened on Day 5 of a 10 day camp, do you think they haven't been on the piss already? The team would of had at least one bonding session, probably more. This trip to lennox was probably the 2nd or 3rd time they'd hit the piss in five days.

Also as most people have said if they want to have lunch and a couple beers on their day off that's fine. But travelling an hour away from your teammates and sitting in a pub for 8 hours is way overboard, we have won one series in 12 years, the players should be acting f**king desperate to win, not like they are on holiday that's a f**king joke. Its indicative of the entitled and soft culture Laurie has fostered these last five years and its needs to change.

Edit: I am not denying its been exaggerated by some media morons, but that literally always happens, they beat up everything they can as much as possible. But IMO it should certainly be a concern for the NSWRL given that NSW just had their worst choke ever. Like I said earlier, this is just indicative of the piss poor, entitled culture in the side.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
This isn't the 80s, professional athletes generally don't drink if they want 100% focus on results.

Exactly. And again, no one is saying don't drink, but this was an 8 hour session off on their own five days out after im sure they have already had sessions that week and If Friday was their day off then Saturday was a training day.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
June 2013 Mal was kicked out of a bar for being disorderly & serving himself behind a bar (uninvited & breaching liquor laws) during an Origin bonding session days before game 2. I'm guessing you've missed the irony in your haste to lay the slipper in.

Keep trying though.

Not excusing either, but there is a bit of a difference between being asked to leave a bar because you stepped into the serving area, and going on 8hr drinking binges before critical games. Has also been pointed out that neither did anything illegal but the stakes are so much higher in one scenario. NSW on the precipice of resurrecting their glory days and QLD in 7 years of autopilot dominance.

I don't remember Mal being too hungover to front the media either.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Note that it was a team bonding session not 2 wankers on it on their day off. Also, it was the coach being a pissed twat. Also it wasnt an all day session.

Is it just because it is Duges who you obviously have a club hard on for champ? Keep trying though.....

It was actually a 30th birthday party for both Smith and Slater.

OldPanther

Coach
The problem for these two is they have a history. It makes this a lot worse. They don't seem to have any desire beyond getting their $$$ and getting their drink on.

no name

Coach
Not excusing either, but there is a bit of a difference between being asked to leave a bar because you stepped into the serving area, and going on 8hr drinking binges before critical games. Has also been pointed out that neither did anything illegal but the stakes are so much higher in one scenario. NSW on the precipice of resurrecting their glory days and QLD in 7 years of autopilot dominance.

I don't remember Mal being too hungover to front the media either.
So we are taking Mal's word in his case but everybody else's word in Dugan and Ferguson's?

Clifferd

Coach

lol

It's like talking to a brick wall

Nobody is saying they did anything wrong. What people are saying is its unprofessional 5 days out from possibly the biggest origin game ever.

Clifferd

Coach
Horseshit, everyone knows Origin camps have plenty of bonding and beers etc and no one has said they should be on a booze ban or locked up in their rooms, you are moving the goal post the same way one of those media personalities that you mentioned do.

They are highly paid athletes who are lucky to be in the team 2 times over. First of all they should of been banned forever four years ago, they both have form in this are at clubs and for the blues, Fergo sexually assaulted someone ffs. Secondly NSW had much better options for both their spots, Laurie and the staff showed faith in them and they repaid him with shit performances anyway.

Also this happened on Day 5 of a 10 day camp, do you think they haven't been on the piss already? The team would of had at least one bonding session, probably more. This trip to lennox was probably the 2nd or 3rd time they'd hit the piss in five days.

Also as most people have said if they want to have lunch and a couple beers on their day off that's fine. But travelling an hour away from your teammates and sitting in a pub for 8 hours is way overboard, we have won one series in 12 years, the players should be acting f**king desperate to win, not like they are on holiday that's a f**king joke. Its indicative of the entitled and soft culture Laurie has fostered these last five years and its needs to change.

Edit: I am not denying its been exaggerated by some media morons, but that literally always happens, they beat up everything they can as much as possible. But IMO it should certainly be a concern for the NSWRL given that NSW just had their worst choke ever. Like I said earlier, this is just indicative of the piss poor, entitled culture in the side.

Couldn't have said it any better

Latest posts