What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters' bandwagon

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
m0j0 said:
I've asked this question in the past, but nobody has bothered to try and answer it. It's fun to make accusations, but not all that much fun to substantiate them.

Now to my question: What benefit would there be to enhance crowd figures? What would they possibly have to gain? For one, the Roosters don't own the SFS, so for every head counted in the ground, a percentage would have to go to the SCG Trust. So by enhancing the figures, the Chooks would be losing out by having to pay extra money to the Trust, without actually having received the money from the sale of the tickets.
Now, given that fact, what would be the motivation? I can't think of one reason that makes sense.

There's an overwhelming number of self-proclaimed statistical geniuses on this forum. Funnily enough, these are often the same people that claim it's only a handful of troublemakers that cause problems at all Bulldogs games.

So you're saying that at least 50% of the crowd were involved in stirring up trouble on Friday? There were no more than 50 out of 32,000 involved in what happened on Friday night, wake up dopey.

The motivation to enhance the figures was explained moron. It was to ensure they wouldn't be blacklisted given that one of the criteria was crowd figures when it came to submissions for the 2000 NRL Season.

m0j0

Bench
dodge said:
So you're saying that at least 50% of the crowd were involved in stirring up trouble on Friday? There were no more than 50 out of 32,000 involved in what happened on Friday night, wake up dopey.
No, I'm saying that if it were only a handful of troublemakers, then surely they would have been stopped years ago. I'm so happy for you that there were only about 50 of these idiots - you must be proud. Do you really think that if these 50 were identified, charged and banned from attending any more games that would be the end of it? Are you trying to suggest that these 50 people are the sole instigators of all violence at all Doggies games for the past 10-15 years? Where you got that 50% from my statement, I have no idea.

dodge said:
The motivation to enhance the figures was explained moron. It was to ensure they wouldn't be blacklisted given that one of the criteria was crowd figures when it came to submissions for the 2000 NRL Season.
So you're saying that the Roosters enhanced the figures for the game on Sunday against Melbourne so they wouldn't be blacklisted for the 2000 season? And you're calling me a moron?

DJ1 said:
Roosters 2002 average was 11,449 not 13,067.

I think you're right. I've counted the wrong Souths/Easts match when doing my figures.

Can anyone clarify whose home game it was for the game opening round 2002?

Timmah

Staff member
m0j0 said:
No, I'm saying that if it were only a handful of troublemakers, then surely they would have been stopped years ago. I'm so happy for you that there were only about 50 of these idiots - you must be proud. Do you really think that if these 50 were identified, charged and banned from attending any more games that would be the end of it? Are you trying to suggest that these 50 people are the sole instigators of all violence at all Doggies games for the past 10-15 years? Where you got that 50% from my statement, I have no idea.

So you're saying that the Roosters enhanced the figures for the game on Sunday against Melbourne so they wouldn't be blacklisted for the 2000 season? And you're calling me a moron?

No, because you've got your wires crossed. I'm referring to the miraculous one year jump in figures in the first seasons after SL.

Mojo, you know as well as I do that this is something that will need looking after for a long time, not just this season. Otherwise they will come back. But I don't see how 50 people being arrested can harm the process.

It might not be a handful of troublemakers over the period of time it's been an issue, but it doesn't make up for more than 1% of our current supporter base. That much I'm confident of.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
HMS Cheesemaker said:
I think you're right. I've counted the wrong Souths/Easts match when doing my figures.

Can anyone clarify whose home game it was for the game opening round 2002?

It was a Souths home game.

m0j0

Bench
dodge said:
No, because you've got your wires crossed. I'm referring to the miraculous one year jump in figures in the first seasons after SL.
Please have a look at my original post on this topic. I directly quoted Undertaker Mike who was referring to the game on Sunday and claimed that there was no way there was 10,000+ (fixing his typo) at the game. My entire post was referring to this one game and UM's claims. It was you that then jumped in and turned this around to something back in 2000. Then you have the audacity to claim I'm the one with my wires crossed.

Still, no-one has answered by question.

Timmah

Staff member
Audacity? Come on mate, it's not life or death or even real life here mate. Calm it down. If it satisfies you, I got my wires crossed... :roll:

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
Well just jumping in here Dodge for a club that as you say has enjoyed so much greater success than Easts over the last 5, 10, 15 years and yet you can only manage 600 odd fans on average more that aint alot to shout about.......esp considering your fan base has about 25 siblings/cousins etc

Timmah

Staff member
Trevor Cogger said:
Well just jumping in here Dodge for a club that as you say has enjoyed so much greater success than Easts over the last 5, 10, 15 years and yet you can only manage 600 odd fans on average more that aint alot to shout about.......esp considering your fan base has about 25 siblings/cousins etc

Crediblity..........Crediblity................ Crediblity.............Crediblity...........and then you killed it.

DJ1

Juniors
m0j0 said:
I've asked this question in the past, but nobody has bothered to try and answer it. It's fun to make accusations, but not all that much fun to substantiate them.

Now to my question: What benefit would there be to enhance crowd figures? What would they possibly have to gain? For one, the Roosters don't own the SFS, so for every head counted in the ground, a percentage would have to go to the SCG Trust. So by enhancing the figures, the Chooks would be losing out by having to pay extra money to the Trust, without actually having received the money from the sale of the tickets.
Now, given that fact, what would be the motivation? I can't think of one reason that makes sense.
An interesting question m0j0. I'll answer it for you.

Firstly, the announced crowd attendances have absolutely nothing to do with actual gate receipts. Gate receipts are handled by Ticketek whilst the SCG Trust handles turnstyles. All taxation, accounting, trust distributions etc involve gate receipts via ticketek and not the turnstyle attendance.

So understanding the clear difference between the two and their independence from each other it then comes down to motives and willingness to artificially inflate the numbers.

Potential Rooster Motives

Criteria imposed by governing body regarding attendence
Potential sale and image impression audience of Rooster home ground signage
Potential sale of additional corporate box clients
Potential sale of on field kit signage
Reduce brand perception of bandwagon and attendence drop off

Potential SCG Trust Motives

Potential sale and image impression audience of Trust ground signage
Potential sale of additional corporate members
The trust is now seeking another tenent since Souths have left

It's clear that artificial inflation of attendences has occurred in 1996 and potentially in the criteria period which saw mergers and the expulsion of Souths.

Any current inflation would most likely be the due to a motive by the Trust to gain additional tenents now that Souths have moved on. Remember that Souths were the main income earner for the trust in relation to the SFS. Even Richardson was quoted as saying that if the trust would give Souths that same deal that the Roosters were getting he would sign with them on the spot.

Timmah

Staff member
SK82, it's very clear, almost transparent to see that you're following any crowd. This came up yesterday when you saw everyone else having a go and decided to turn on me. You were trying to defend me or something similar on TFC when Johns Magic began his crusade, and your own fans have turned on you. Hating/disliking a forum member isn't about being cool. It's about differences of opinion and until you learn that...

Your input is lower than Z Grade

Cockadoodledoo said:
It was a Souths home game.

Cheers.

So, I was wrong that Easts 2002 crowd average was higher than Canterbury's.

Some of the other participants in this thread might like to learn about this. It's called admitting mistakes. We all make them. You just look like idiots if you try to pretend that you're perfect.

albi

Juniors
The storm seem to always beat the Raiders, so they're not my favourite team:roll:

However, they are one of the most exciting teams in the league, and I'm surprised that more people don't go to see them.

Timmah

Staff member
I've made a couple HMS, but the support of the Roosters has been inexcusable, particularly last weekend. Lantana hit the nail on the head in the Crowd Watch Thread.

nqboy said:
Would it be premature to publish a death announcement for the demise of the Roosters' bandwagon?

I know the Storm aren't a big drawing team and it was a hot, humid day (Really? Forgive my scepticism) but are there any other excuses for drawing only 10,841?

When you playing out of town teams the crowd will always be an average one. The best way to look at is there where 10600 Roosters supporters in attendance.

If they say play St George/Ilawarra who may have 7000 supporters who will venture to Aussie the crowd would be 18,000 and then you wouldn't be posting such nonsense.

Do your homework first sonny