What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters' bandwagon

The Business

Juniors
nqboy said:
Would it be premature to publish a death announcement for the demise of the Roosters' bandwagon?

I know the Storm aren't a big drawing team and it was a hot, humid day (Really? Forgive my scepticism) but are there any other excuses for drawing only 10,841?
What were St George Illawarra's excuses for only drawing 12,000. They only get 6 home games there every year. We are talking about a joint venture (2 lots of supporters).

I can't remember the last time Melbourne drew more than 10,000 at the SFS.

MEATWAD

Juniors
Never let the facts get in the way of your opinion eh Dodge.

2005 average Roosters: 17309
2005 average Bulldogs: 17900

mckinks

Juniors
Now that Souths are out of the Central Coast picture, maybe it's time the Roosters thought about relocating? Good junior base from which to draw from, local fans dying for a team of their own... just a thought.

MEATWAD

Juniors
Mckinks, fat chance. Roosters are financially secure, get some of the best crowds for Sydney teams, no chance of relocation I think. Also the SFS is the proper home ground of the team. Souths will never get permission to redevelop Redfern properly.

Choppies

Coach
mckinks said:
Now that Souths are out of the Central Coast picture, .

If your thinking Souths don't have the Central Coast cloud over their head anymore think again. Why was Singleton sniffing around both voting parties?

mckinks

Juniors
MEATWAD said:
Mckinks, fat chance. Roosters are financially secure, get some of the best crowds for Sydney teams, no chance of relocation I think. Also the SFS is the proper home ground of the team. Souths will never get permission to redevelop Redfern properly.

I just don't think that the NRL and Singleton are going to give up on relocating a team up there and all of the other Sydney teams seem to be quite entrenched in their respective areas. In relation to Redfern, that died long ago and the SFS was home to Souths as well for many years.

MEATWAD

Juniors
mckinks said:
I just don't think that the NRL and Singleton are going to give up on relocating a team up there and all of the other Sydney teams seem to be quite entrenched in their respective areas. In relation to Redfern, that died long ago and the SFS was home to Souths as well for many years.

And your point is? The Roosters do very nicely at the SFS. They are the only NRL team to now have their home games there. As for "entrenched", tell me all the teams that play out of Telstra Stadium again? Souths will be broke again next year anyway - $3m doesn't go far.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
MEATWAD said:
Never let the facts get in the way of your opinion eh Dodge.

2005 average Roosters: 17309
2005 average Bulldogs: 17900

:lol: @ you.

17900 > 17300

Last time Roosters > Bulldogs? Come on... humour me.

MEATWAD

Juniors
dodge said:
:lol: @ you.

17900 > 17300

Last time Roosters > Bulldogs? Come on... humour me.

Stop changing the subject because you lost.

I know you probably don't understand most of you yourself write, so just to remind you;

dodge said:
Roosters games rate poorly full stop. Their averages have never been overly impressive

Then you want to quibble about a difference of 600?! If the Roosters games "rate poorly" and the averages are not "overly impressive", your team is in exactly the same boat. The exact numerical difference is not what's at stake, it's the magnitude of the difference. Which is basically zero.

Run off to the harmony day thread to support your fellow thug gangbangers and their violent activities.

melon....

Coach
nqboy said:
Would it be premature to publish a death announcement for the demise of the Roosters' bandwagon?

I know the Storm aren't a big drawing team and it was a hot, humid day (Really? Forgive my scepticism) but are there any other excuses for drawing only 10,841?
The Roosters Bandwagon......

is nowhere the size of the Broke Back mountain styling shielas from Nth Q.

MEATWAD

Juniors
Yeah Melon, up here in Bne, I discovered all these Broncos fans whose 2nd team is the Cowboys, you know, 'cos they're Queenslanders too. Or some rubbish like that. I always tell them I don't support Souths just because they are from the suburb over ... it makes me hate them more.

chunk said:
Also thats after 5 years of poor performances withe the Wests Tigers and fifiteen with Balmain and Wests.

Then 18000 at Leichhardt after a little bit of success.

ST George and Easts have no excuses.

Hang on... you peform poorly, you get crap crowds. You perform well, you get good crowds.

Sounds like a bandwagon to me.

You know, personally I have no problems with bandwagons. If clubs get a surge of support because of onfield success, well that's natural and if I was a club offical I'd go out of my way to cash in on it.

The point of this thread was to bash Easts for apparently having a large element of bandwagon supporters because they got a 10,000 crowd to a Storm game. Thus, my point was that 10,000 isn't that bad considering and that:

a) there have been much worse crowds, such as that dreadful Wests Tigers crowd
b) plenty of crowds for Storm crowds are very low.

As to St. George's excuse, we don't have one. We don't need one frankly. Our crowds have been consistently decent, despite fluctuations in performance.

melon....

Coach
MEATWAD said:
Yeah Melon, up here in Bne, I discovered all these Broncos fans whose 2nd team is the Cowboys, you know, 'cos they're Queenslanders too. Or some rubbish like that. I always tell them I don't support Souths just because they are from the suburb over ... it makes me hate them more.
Stimp,

They better be making your code cutting worth while, because it would be a sh*t being a NSWelshman living in Redneck Central.:D

MEATWAD

Juniors
Melon; yeah the jobs pretty sweet and the wife's got a great job at UQ so I can't complain much. Except I can't wear a good suit 'cos it just so humid all year round.

Also, what Cheesemaker said is pretty much spot on I think.

MEATWAD

Juniors
miccle said:
:lol: Redneck central...

No KKK riots on the beaches up here last time I checked

Plenty enough of total bogans though for this Eastern Suburbs boy! Also I miss small cosy pubs. And no good Lebanese food! Also I miss Chinatown.

miccle

Bench
I'm with ya on the pubs and Lebanese food actually mate, but Brisbane is okay in places. Some places, not many!

MEATWAD

Juniors
Yeah Brisbane is OK miccle, it's just the football team and the origin side I can't stand! ;-) There are plenty better venues to go and see live music here for example.

LRC

Doesnt matter wether its a bandwagon or not...what matters is if people are watching the game.
Actually...all teams pretty much have a similar rain hail or poor form crowd...

The difference is that the roosters,broncos and raiders have to contend with the other codes on their door step for general walk up crowds .
If the roosters play a big team they get a lot of walk ups but if they play a lesser rated (by the general public) team they get a smaller ...especially if the tahs or swans play the same weekend..the raiders and broncs have similar issues.
Where as if the eels or panthers for example,play a lesser team they generally dont have the added competition from the other codes or other forms of entertainment. Plus its a good night out before hitting the local club.

The roosters ,raiders etc provide a good gauge as to how the game is travelling against the rest ...considering the roosters crowds have been pretty fair in recent years ,its not a bad indication, which helps sponsors etc come on board.

Also..when you consider the dragons V tigers only got a bit over that for 2 sydney teams in round 1 its pretty comparable. (tigers V dragons was about 25000 which equates to 2 sets of 12500 supporters)