What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters have landed

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will also direct you to this post about Nigel Plum by another member here. I'm sure there are others who agree with myself and vicious that Plummy will be a loss.

Vicious said:
He has apparently signed with the Roosters for next year.If this is true,i`ts a disgraceful decision by the Wests Tigers to sign two union players who have never played Rugby League in their lives in front of an emerging star like Plummy who has a lifetime of league and country rep honours behind him.I`ve E-mailed the Tigers about this a couple of months back and they replied saying that they are leaving it up to the Wests Magpies as to whether they resign Plummy or not.If it is too late and the Roosters deal has been done I can guarantee everyone reading this that he will play the majority of his games in the Roosters top 17 and stamp himself as an emerging star.This is a huge recruitment mistake as Tim McGann who we signed from Easts Union is an Eastern Suburbs boy through and through yet the Roosters showed very little interest in him.When will we learn that highly successful clubs like the Roosters recruit shrewdly and that if they target one of our young players over a rare local boy of their own,obviously they rightly believe our young player is the better one!

Wrighty79 said:
It's not all the Roosters fault that they don't have a massive junior base... don't get me wrong, I hate them as much as the next guy, but you can blame them for being in rah-rah territory.

It's not like we have a team full of juniors running around in FG. The only real juniors we have playing for us are, Hodgo,Bucketts and Big Skando. We can hardly throw stones, so to speak.

Some sense displayed. Well done. A gold star and an elephant stamp for you. :D

Wrighty79 said:
But then it comes down to money, and when you have James Packer and Nick Politis on your board, money is a non-issue. If they had "nobodys" on their board, I'm sure they would've been forced to merge, or would've died many, many years ago. Probably before Newtown?

We get our money from sponsorship, NRL grants, crowd revenue and our leagues club. Packer has nothing to do with our club and Politis does not give the Easts club money. We would survive if Politis was or wasn't there.

Tigerpete said:
Why are they spending all this money when they could go get themself soem pride and look a redeveloping their junior league, pull some clubs back from souths, or norths or whoever, they've been using that excuse for too long now.

Our junior league is non existant through no fault of our own. We had a large area taken from us in the 50's by SG Ball who was then the boss of the NSWRL. The areas of Randwick and Coogee were given to Souths by Ball who happened to be Souths favourite son. Hopefully in the near future these areas will be returned to their rightful owner. One thing though, all this talk of juniors is a load of hogwash. It's what a club does with a player that is important. There are thousands of kids who would jump at the chance of playing with the Roosters. We have the best coaches and great training facilities. It is no coincidence that the Roosters have supplied more internationals than any other club. If a young player goes to Easts they know that they will improve greatly as a footballer.

innsaneink

Referee
Our junior league is non existant through no fault of our own. We had a large area taken from us in the 50's by SG Ball who was then the boss of the NSWRL. The areas of Randwick and Coogee were given to Souths by Ball who happened to be Souths favourite son.
Hopefully in the near future these areas will be returned to their rightful owner. One thing though, all this talk of juniors is a load of hogwash. It's what a club does with a player that is important. There are thousands of kids who would jump at the chance of playing with the Roosters. We have the best coaches and great training facilities. It is no coincidence that the Roosters have supplied more internationals than any other club. If a young player goes to Easts they know that they will improve greatly as a footballer.
Large area my arse!

You had a few clubs, some of which still exist (4) the rest have faded away like a lot of other clubs.....

Talk of juniors is hogwash?
So I suppose all the volunteers that worked with him in group 9 as a kid, have had no bearing on the fact he's a player the rorters are interested in?
Naaah :roll: .... a year in Wests PL has made him what he is.

There are thousands of kids that would jump at the chance of playing with ANY first grade club.....ANF there are thousands that would jump at Premier League too with any club.

Yeah Im sure you have good coaches etc etc.......you also pay the most money to kids!

It all comes down to dollars.

Both were highly promising teenagers who the Roosters signed for money equivalent to what 20 or 30-game first-graders were being paid at the Knights.

Ale was a 17-year-old Australian Schoolboy centre who picked up $50,000 to go to the Roosters while Tupou signed a three-year deal worth around $250,000.

"They were numbers we just could not contemplate and still can't," Hagan says.

It is freely bandied around that the Roosters spend well over a $1million a season on their Premier League and Jersey Flegg teams.
Not surprisingly, their Premier League team leads the competition and their Jersey Flegg side remains unbeaten after 22 rounds. The likes of St George Illawarra, Parramatta and the Bulldogs also spend up big.

Newcastle, by contrast, get some loose change out of $400,000, which is all their budget can afford.

A lower-grader's average at the Roosters is just under $30,000 a season compared to $8000 at Newcastle.

Just a couple of examples........now I'm not begrudging the Roosters the right to go out and hunt and buy all the best kids.....but when YOU come in here and say they do otherwise.......aaahhh just p!ss off :arrow:

The Roosters do more for young players than most of the clubs. Randwick and Coogee are the 2 strongest league areas in the Eastern Suburbs. If the Roosters pay young players money then good on them. Do you expect them to play for free?

innsaneink

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
The Roosters do more for young players than most of the clubs. Randwick and Coogee are the 2 strongest league areas in the Eastern Suburbs. If the Roosters pay young players money then good on them. Do you expect them to play for free?

LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come back when you know what your on about.
Randwick a strong league area?
:lol: :lol:
Clovelly Crocs go up to what? Under 14's?
Strong area!!!!!!
Pffft

I grew up in the East. Ever heard of Marcellan College at Randwick? I also said Coogee not Clovelly. Come back when you know what your on about.

innsaneink

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
I grew up in the East. Ever heard of Marcellan College at Randwick? I also said Coogee not Clovelly. Come back when you know what your on about.

Hmmm yeh my dad went to school there.

A strong league area does NOT exist in the Eastern Suburbs....I lived in Maroubra for 20 years.....I seen Souths (and Easts :lol: ) Juniors first hand....nothing compared to Penrith, Parra and Wests.

Its all besides the point anyway.......if the roosters have the best coaches, the best training facilities etc etc, why do they HAVE tp pay the most money to get players there?
You would think with all these grateful kids indebted to the Roosters for allowing them to kiss Stickys arse, theyd play for peanuts.

They don't have to pay the most. In fact they pay less than other clubs because they are such a desirable club to play for. Is it a crime for the Roosters to turn players with potential into internationals? Try telling Miniciello, Crocker, Hegarty, Cross, Wing, Cayless, Finch, Flannery, Ricketson, Webb, Catic, Robinson, Tupou, Fitzgibbon etc that the Roosters are an ordinary club to play for. The players mentioned owe it to the Roosters for where they are today. Name me one of these players that was as good as they are now at their previous club (Not counting Ricko, Cross and Wing who are juniors). As far as I can see the Roosters set up leaves Penrith, Parra and Wests for dead.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
RC, have you seen any of Nigel Plum in action? I'd like to hear a roosters fans view on him and if they think he'll be a first grader sometime soon.

innsaneink

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
They don't have to pay the most. In fact they pay less than other clubs because they are such a desirable club to play for. Is it a crime for the Roosters to turn players with potential into internationals? Try telling Miniciello, Crocker, Hegarty, Cross, Wing, Cayless, Finch, Flannery, Ricketson, Webb, Catic, Robinson, Tupou, Fitzgibbon etc that the Roosters are an ordinary club to play for. The players mentioned owe it to the Roosters for where they are today. Name me one of these players that was as good as they are now at their previous club (Not counting Ricko, Cross and Wing who are juniors). As far as I can see the Roosters set up leaves Penrith, Parra and Wests for dead.

Why dont you try sticking to the argument.

In fact they pay less than other clubs
Crap!

They pay 4 times more than Newcastle do....and thats just one example....I'm sure WestsTigers, Rabbitohs, Manly Cronulla etc etc are doin it tougher than Newcastle....so dont come in here bullshitting the Roosters pay less for their juniors.
I'm sure Plummy is happy to settle for less money now hes got the chance to play at Bondi!
Yeah right :roll:
Along with ALL the others.

far as I can see the Roosters set up leaves Penrith, Parra and Wests for dead.
Again....dick, try sticking to the argument.

Wests 16 Junior clubs
Parra 33 Jnr clubs
Penrith 22 Jnr clubs
Roosters 4 Jnr clubs

Randwick and Coogee are NOT AND WILL NEVER BE strong league areas!

Both were highly promising teenagers who the Roosters signed for money equivalent to what 20 or 30-game first-graders were being paid at the Knights.
Ale was a 17-year-old Australian Schoolboy centre who picked up $50,000 to go to the Roosters while Tupou signed a three-year deal worth around $250,000.

It is freely bandied around that the Roosters spend well over a $1million a season on their Premier League and Jersey Flegg teams.

A lower-grader's average at the Roosters is just under $30,000 a season compared to $8000 at Newcastle.

This just about sums it up...........
http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=2155&pID=1
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Tigerpete said:
Why are they spending all this money when they could go get themself soem pride and look a redeveloping their junior league, pull some clubs back from souths, or norths or whoever, they've been using that excuse for too long now.

Our junior league is non existant through no fault of our own. We had a large area taken from us in the 50's by SG Ball who was then the boss of the NSWRL. The areas of Randwick and Coogee were given to Souths by Ball who happened to be Souths favourite son. Hopefully in the near future these areas will be returned to their rightful owner. One thing though, all this talk of juniors is a load of hogwash. It's what a club does with a player that is important. There are thousands of kids who would jump at the chance of playing with the Roosters. We have the best coaches and great training facilities. It is no coincidence that the Roosters have supplied more internationals than any other club. If a young player goes to Easts they know that they will improve greatly as a footballer.

Thats something i wont deny Cogburn, the roosters do have one of the best set ups in the game and yes any kid would love to join them. What annoys me is while every other club spends part of their budget on their junior set up, it seems the roosters spend a fraction of what other clubs do and use the rest of their money trying to steal the cream of the junior league. Your club can choose to do it for as long as they wish.

I just think they should at least try and ATTEMPT to restore their junior league, When i hear that your club is trying to do so i will stand and applaud your club bacause its about bloody time.

innsaneink said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Why dont you try sticking to the argument.

In fact they pay less than other clubs
Crap!

They pay 4 times more than Newcastle do....and thats just one example....I'm sure WestsTigers, Rabbitohs, Manly Cronulla etc etc are doin it tougher than Newcastle....so dont come in here bullshitting the Roosters pay less for their juniors.
I'm sure Plummy is happy to settle for less money now hes got the chance to play at Bondi!
Yeah right :roll:
Along with ALL the others.

far as I can see the Roosters set up leaves Penrith, Parra and Wests for dead.
Again....dick, try sticking to the argument.

Wests 16 Junior clubs
Parra 33 Jnr clubs
Penrith 22 Jnr clubs
Roosters 4 Jnr clubs

Randwick and Coogee are NOT AND WILL NEVER BE strong league areas!

This just about sums it up...........
http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=2155&pID=1
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just state whatever you want. At the end of the day it means nothing. Look at the comp tables and ask yourself where are clubs like the Tigers etc going wrong. I'm glad the Roosters are my club. It's fun when your club is winning. :D

Tigerpete

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
[
Just state whatever you want. At the end of the day it means nothing. Look at the comp tables and ask yourself where are clubs like the Tigers etc going wrong. I'm glad the Roosters are my club. It's fun when your club is winning. :D

Well at the end of the day when all is said and done i'd much rather be a Tiger than a Rooster. At least we're a club who doesnt think they're bigger than the league, (oh sorry, thats souths), at least we actually TRY and develop our own kids, Gibbs, Fulton, Harrison, Halatau, Farah, O'Neill, Hodgson and others who are making their way up the lower grades.

Oh and rooster, i shed a tear when i read Albert Hopoate was giving the game away, after paying a ridiculous amount of money for him from Wests he gave it up, what a shame....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigerpete said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Tigerpete said:

Thats something i wont deny Cogburn, the roosters do have one of the best set ups in the game and yes any kid would love to join them. What annoys me is while every other club spends part of their budget on their junior set up, it seems the roosters spend a fraction of what other clubs do and use the rest of their money trying to steal the cream of the junior league. Your club can choose to do it for as long as they wish.

I just think they should at least try and ATTEMPT to restore their junior league, When i hear that your club is trying to do so i will stand and applaud your club bacause its about bloody time.

What makes you think that the Roosters don't spend money on their juniors? The Roosters fund Redcliffe, they also fund clubs in Goulburn, Campbelltown,The South Coast and in Kingswood. These small clubs were ignored by their closest affiliated NRL club. Also the Roosters fund numerous clinics during the season. Our own junior league is very small through no fault of our own so Easts have to look elsewhere. Do you expect Easts to rely on their 4 junior clubs for their players. If they did they would be the only NRL club to rely on their own juniors as every other club buys players but it seems it's a crime if the Roosters do it. If you want to attack a club then look no further than Parramatta who have a huge junior area and yet every year they go on a spending spree. They spend a hell of a lot more money on players than the Roosters do.

Wrighty79

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Tigerpete said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Tigerpete said:

What makes you think that the Roosters don't spend money on their juniors? The Roosters fund Redcliffe, they also fund clubs in Goulburn, Campbelltown,The South Coast and in Kingswood. These small clubs were ignored by their closest affiliated NRL club. Also the Roosters fund numerous clinics during the season. Our own junior league is very small through no fault of our own so Easts have to look elsewhere. Do you expect Easts to rely on their 4 junior clubs for their players. If they did they would be the only NRL club to rely on their own juniors as every other club buys players but it seems it's a crime if the Roosters do it. If you want to attack a club then look no further than Parramatta who have a huge junior area and yet every year they go on a spending spree. They spend a hell of a lot more money on players than the Roosters do.

Yeah, but they are a bunch of losers, wherre as you guys are the benchmark, so you're an easier target. I hope one day, teams hate the Tigers for the same reason they hate you guys ;-)

Tigerpete said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
[

Well at the end of the day when all is said and done i'd much rather be a Tiger than a Rooster. At least we're a club who doesnt think they're bigger than the league, (oh sorry, thats souths), at least we actually TRY and develop our own kids, Gibbs, Fulton, Harrison, Halatau, Farah, O'Neill, Hodgson and others who are making their way up the lower grades.

Oh and rooster, i shed a tear when i read Albert Hopoate was giving the game away, after paying a ridiculous amount of money for him from Wests he gave it up, what a shame....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Roosters don't think they are bigger than the game. It was the Roosters who fought against Super league. If the Roosters just thought of themselves don't you think they would've jumped ship for the dollars and believe me they were offered a fortune to join super league. You people just attack the Roosters and 99% of the time it's not warranted.

Latest posts