What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the ruck

spiderdan

Bench
We did but the refs let plenty go that should be pulled up. There's a reason why the storm were voted the dirtiest team in the game by their peers and it isn't jealousy. Watch the game again and pay attention to how many times a storm player will get up with his arms lifting one of the tackled players legs to slow down the play, or how they will get up pressing down on the player's leg to stop the player getting to their feet. Very dodgey. And that isn't having a sook because we lost it's something the storm have been getting away with against everyone for a while now. Plenty more I could mention too.

------
this was in reply to whoever said we won the penalty count....

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Of course they need to clean up the ruck and make the defenders release and roll away instantly. I recall seeing the Sunday Roast not long ago and they said they would never do that because it would make the game too fast and it would be like touch football. The same reason why they won't eliminate uncontested scrums.

So Harrigan & Co think that the holding down of the player is a good thing for the game ? Ask most fans and they would tell you that the mess that is the ruck is the worst part of the game.

Mr_E

Juniors
On video Ref decisions I think it should go like this.

They get a certain number of looks (maybe 3), one from each angle. If they can't then make their mind up, then Benefit of the Doubt and stop looking. None of the this keep looking till we can find an angle for it not to be a try.

If they have to keep looking there must be doubt. :crazy:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I commented during the game about this, while they tend to lay on the player as long as the ref will allow, its harder when you are on your back.

If you get a chance to watch the replay, Storm will wrestle a player onto their back about 8/10 times. It takes alot longer to roll over and stand alot faster than their opposition if you are on your back and it seems like we are being held down.

We did it about 2/10 times so most of the time they just sand up and play the ball much faster than we did.

Their wrestling tactics definitely pay off.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I commented during the game about this, while they tend to lay on the player as long as the ref will allow, its harder when you are on your back.

If you get a chance to watch the replay, Storm will wrestle a player onto their back about 8/10 times. It takes alot longer to roll over and stand alot faster than their opposition if you are on your back and it seems like we are being held down.

We did it about 2/10 times so most of the time they just sand up and play the ball much faster than we did.

The thing with the wrestling is the dividends that it pays late in the game.
If you wrestle and give away even 5-6 penalties in the first half, the ref will (a) swallow his whistle in the second half (and you can wrestle as long as you like) and (b) will give YOU a penalty for being held down in the second half on a number of occasions.

(b) is what irks me - because Ben Smith 'holding down' was nowhere near as long as the Storm hold down for with their wrestle - but because the Storm had been penalised in the FIRST half for holding down "pheeeew" here comes the square up just when they need it :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you dont normally get penalised just for wrestling a player onto his back, its not illegal

they seem to do it all in one motion, it just take us longer to get up and play the ball

Haynzy

First Grade

I agree Twizz. I was saying the same thing.
It's really noticable that we do the exact opposite and try really hard to get off the opposition players quickly too.

dazeely

First Grade
The storm are the best at it. The first into the tackle holds them up and the next person rolls them over. Very well drilled. I can't see anything illegal in it though. Did however think Ben smiths penalty was a little harsh. Bet if it was someone else eg hindy the ref wouldn't have blown it. Benny has a target on him I'm sure.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree Twizz. I was saying the same thing.
It's really noticable that we do the exact opposite and try really hard to get off the opposition players quickly too.

It's because the referee is shouting out "movement"

He wants to speed the game up, because he's frustrated at giving away so many penalties against the storm. So he's looking to give them one back, and if we don't get off the tackled player, he'll do just that.

Sillyness - if the penalty count goes 18-0 against the Storm, then that should be the way it goes. It's their choice to keep going on with the tackles for so long.

forward pass

Coach
Moot point anyway - Hayne's try should have been Benefit Of The Doubt anyway...

No separation = no doubt. It was a fairdinkum try (under the rules that is)

We would've lost anyhow... we just good at giving it away with 5 to play.

Guys watch the replay again. One angle (from the front) showed clear separation. If we start awarding them as tries then this game has become a basket case.

No try in the wide world - not even BOTD. Hayne knew he dropped it straight away.

It was a strange and bizzare play - but I cant accept that it was egotistical or lairising. It was f**k up - pure and simple!

Haynzy

First Grade
Guys watch the replay again. One angle (from the front) showed clear separation. If we start awarding them as tries then this game has become a basket case.

No try in the wide world - not even BOTD. Hayne knew he dropped it straight away.

It was a strange and bizzare play - but I cant accept that it was egotistical or lairising. It was f**k up - pure and simple!

I agree on the BOD. Those should never be tries but the lack of consistency is frustrating.

On the whole Hayne ego thing my take is that yes it was a 'lair' play and stupid but that is also part of his brilliance. He's still young and developing his decision making and will get better.
When he pulls those things off we all scream legend but when they don't come off he's the devil incarnate.

Thurston had and still has that smell of ego and lair about him but that is what makes him back himself and pull off the big plays. Hayne will get there but it sure doesn't make you feel much better when he stuffs up.

salvy71

Juniors

It's time for other teams to practice the art of rolling a tackled player onto their back , Melbourne have it down to a tee and it works .

jimmy77au

Juniors
It's time for other teams to practice the art of rolling a tackled player onto their back , Melbourne have it down to a tee and it works .

As well as two men wrapping the player & Ball, while the third man chops their legs out from behind the knees......

Saw Proctor do it countless times....

hindy111

Post Whore
NO TRY dropped the ball.....
As far as the rub of the green went-Parra had some decisions go there way that where mind blowing.The slater high tackle-LOL the Hayne penalty when tackled late....
I think we had enough go our way to win last night.At 18 -0 with 30 to go you should never loose. We just stopped playing football.And our attack was horrible once again.We had plenty of chances in the second half to finish them and we didnt .Melbourne only had 5-6 chances and took 4 of them...
I guess thats why there leading the competition

Eelementary

Post Whore

I've seen countless tries like that given before. And as I and someone else mentioned - if the ref looked at the replay 12 times, he had doubts. He must then go for Benefit Of The Doubt, if you think about it. But nope.

EELICIT

Juniors
One thing i noticed at about the 60th minute was that the storm stopped slowing down the play the ball because they were getting penalised too often, so they then started pulling legs in tackles. Have a good look at it you'll see it's the case.

Latest posts