What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rugby Championship

Parra

Referee
Rugby is good at very bad names. I thought SupeRugby was stupid. This is worse.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Its just pandering to the sponsors... the name really isnt that important... all it will be in each country is "The <insert sponsors name> Rugby Championship"

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
like for saffers it will be the voda.com rugby championship i think thats there sponser from memory

Big Sam

First Grade
What was wrong with Quad Nations or something like that? Rugby Championship sounds like such a wank.

Timbo

Staff member
Odd draw for the home tests next year.

Three test for New South Wales and Queensland, one each for Victoria and WA.

Whilst it's good to see tests in Newcastle and on the Gold Coast, it's a bit of snub for Canberra. And I'd prefer places like the Gold Coast to get pre-championship tests. Bit of disrespect for Argentina.

Karl

Juniors
It is a very bad name and the way it will be sponsor branded is not good either. Makes the tournament sound like its Quiddich or something.

BODISGOD

Bench
Same works with any other name

Not as well. I couldn't name who sponsored the Tri Nations as I called it the Tri Nations...

I won't be calling this The Rugby Championship. Just like the Heineken Cup the sponsors name will get priority. Of course rotation of a sponsor will become important so the name doesn't stick.

The whole 'Nations' thing is pointless; The 6 Nations keep it for historical purposes from the Home Nations Championship. The Tri Nations was just a lazy allusion to that.

Squeezer

Juniors
Yeah, I am not sold on the branding. The term 'championship' implies that the winner should be regarded as the best in the world. While is a strong argument that the winner of 'The Rugby Championship' would indeed be the best in the world, we have a World Cup to sort that business out.

Irrespective of the stupid name, The rugby should be quite entertaining. I am fascinated as to how the Argies will go. With any luck, their players won't have any issue with getting released from their clubs, seeing as most of those boys play in NH comps.

BODISGOD

Bench
Yeah, I am not sold on the branding. The term 'championship' implies that the winner should be regarded as the best in the world. While is a strong argument that the winner of 'The Rugby Championship' would indeed be the best in the world, we have a World Cup to sort that business out.

Irrespective of the stupid name, The rugby should be quite entertaining. I am fascinated as to how the Argies will go. With any luck, their players won't have any issue with getting released from their clubs, seeing as most of those boys play in NH comps.

Like the Six Nations Championship?

The Argies won't have a problem getting their players, the IRB rules say they have to be allowed to play. The problem is that with them being contracted in Europe mainly they will be playing year round rugby.

Squeezer

Juniors
Ahh, but the wording of the Six Nations Championship makes it quite clear that the winner will be champion of six nations. The term 'The Rugby Championship' is more ambiguous. Look, we are arguing the same point from different directions. The name of the competition sucks. Lets leave it at that.

On another note, not long now before the start of the Super Rugby season. Counting down the days!

Ahh, but the wording of the Six Nations Championship makes it quite clear that the winner will be champion of six nations. The term 'The Rugby Championship' is more ambiguous. Look, we are arguing the same point from different directions. The name of the competition sucks. Lets leave it at that.

On another note, not long now before the start of the Super Rugby season. Counting down the days!
Me too. Can't wait! Anyone in this forum into Fantasy Rugby? I always go in the Fox Spots one. Would be good to get a big league going...

Squeezer

Juniors
Yeah, I go into the Fox Sports fantasy comp too. Coenie Oosthuizen bagged me a heap of points from prop last year. Kade Poki landed me a ton of points too, until he got injured.

Yeah, I go into the Fox Sports fantasy comp too. Coenie Oosthuizen bagged me a heap of points from prop last year. Kade Poki landed me a ton of points too, until he got injured.
Yeah it's great stuff. For those interested, i have created a fox sports fanatsy super rugby comp...will pm you with the league codes