What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Slippery Morris

First Grade
To Bird's credit he has apologised as they were heat in the moment comments. These guys really need someone in there quickly as they are imploding big time. Their heads are not right and you can see how much this is impacting them. I see it as fear more than supporting the coach as if you say a wrong thing you get punished. Woods was a supporter of Hook till he left and has come out more or less swinging with his comments on Lomax in the media. I suggest the rest of the guys bar Hunt, Bird, Burns and Mbye would be in the same boat.

The club need to start caring about the players and fans rather than Hook and Hunt as keeping Hook on for Hunt's 300th game is something that is only in the best interest of them and nobody else.

Hook has clearly overtaken Price as the worst coach of the Dragons.

Old Timer

Coach
Rumour has it that Fox Sports are genius's and all over the NRL

This extract from their latest article is most enlightening

"Gagai has played 21 games for Queensland since his Origin debut in 2021, and despite playing well in 2023, doubts have been raised over his ability to deliver at representative level."

Yes this mob are to be believed and would really have great insight into what's going on inside the Dragons.

The following is from an article written by James Hooper which is over on Fox Sports (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9a122a2f3f0a1a9f80293e1f137f5921) but thought Dragons fans might find this part of it most of interest -

DRAGONS’ PLOT TO REVIVE THE CLUB

ST GEORGE Illawarra chairman Andrew Lancaster has been busy behind-the-scenes trying to devise the best football department structure to take the Dragons from basket case to a top eight team.

There’s been a strong suggestion this week St George Illawarra are looking at appointing ex-South Sydney and Penrith heavyweight Shane Richardson into a general manager of football type of role.

Ex-Dragons player and coach Nathan Brown’s name has also been mentioned as a strong contender to be the Red V’s new head of recruitment.

A St George Illawarra board meeting next Tuesday is expected to formally rubberstamp some of the key appointments for the club rolling forward.

Lancaster has been extremely hands-on in terms of trying to fix the litany of woes the Red V is currently experiencing.

The appointments of Richardson and Brown would certainly give the club a much stronger network of contacts and a much greater football IQ than at present.

The next major decision for St George Illawarra is who becomes the head coach in 2024.

Retired front-rower Jason Ryles has emerged as a frontrunner this week after he met with the Dragons on Monday.

Ryles currently resides in Wollongong with his family so if the Red V take the smart approach and can deliver the right offer then he looks a decent bet.

Premiership-winning captain Ben Hornby and premiership-winning forward Dean Young are the other options with the Dragons also recently holding informal talks with Hornby.

Agent George Mimis is the negotiator looking after Ryles, Hornby and Nathan Brown so and is still extremely close with board member Peter Doust.

Mimis is holding his cards tight but it appears as though whatever Ryles told the Dragons on Monday the club was impressed.

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
To Bird's credit he has apologised as they were heat in the moment comments. These guys really need someone in there quickly as they are imploding big time. Their heads are not right and you can see how much this is impacting them. I see it as fear more than supporting the coach as if you say a wrong thing you get punished. Woods was a supporter of Hook till he left and has come out more or less swinging with his comments on Lomax in the media. I suggest the rest of the guys bar Hunt, Bird, Burns and Mbye would be in the same boat.

The club need to start caring about the players and fans rather than Hook and Hunt as keeping Hook on for Hunt's 300th game is something that is only in the best interest of them and nobody else.

Hook has clearly overtaken Price as the worst coach of the Dragons.
Did I like Birds comments? No.
BUT looking at it deeper:
We were out to dinner with a current NRL player & his family a couple of weeks ago when he didn't seem his normal self & I basically thought he didn't want to talk & was more interested in his phone, only to find he was receiving harsh & downgrading DM's to his instagram account from "so called fans" while we were eating.
When one person decides to say some un flattering comments, it quickly escalates to "HUNDREDS" that we scrolled through.
So instantly, I read that he was responding to the "so called experts" that tell him how they feel about what type of player he is......

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
What's everyone's opinion of Ryles coming to coach the Dragons?

I'm really not sure. Given our last three appointments, I thought we needed a very experienced coach hence I was preferring Flanagan then Hasler. I didn't what anything to do with our ex players.

If Ryles is selected, I will support him, but I need to see a hard edge from him with regard to the players, actual games plans, better recruitment, and an actual defence plan.

Old Timer

Coach
What's everyone's opinion of Ryles coming to coach the Dragons?

I'm really not sure. Given our last three appointments, I thought we needed a very experienced coach hence I was preferring Flanagan then Hasler. I didn't what anything to do with our ex players.

If Ryles is selected, I will support him, but I need to see a hard edge from him with regard to the players, actual games plans, better recruitment, and an actual defence plan.
Ryles will do the job very well.

Still young, served a great apprenticeship, been away from us for 15 years, articulate, tough as teak and I suspect won't tolerate any stupidity.

Has been head down bum up getting on learning as much as he can from the best in the game and certainly has no sense of entitlement.

He will do me.

BLM01

First Grade
Ryles will do the job very well.

Still young, served a great apprenticeship, been away from us for 15 years, articulate, tough as teak and I suspect won't tolerate any stupidity.

Has been head down bum up getting on learning as much as he can from the best in the game and certainly has no sense of entitlement.

He will do me.
How do you know he will do it well. Risk I dont want to take.
Not over the moon, because it reeks of an old boy appointment getting thrown into the quick sand
We need an experienced coach first up
I still hope and believe this is media being put onto the wrong scent for good reason

Revesby boy

Juniors
Okay this is a rumours thread so for what it’s worth….. I Was told today from a person ( he’s a massive Knights fan) that Hook has been sacked and his last game in charge is this weekend game against the Cows, RCarr will take over from Monday as the club didn’t want to jeopardise Hunts 300 game, and Ryles has agreed to a 5 year deal starting next season.

justadragon

Bench
Okay this is a rumours thread so for what it’s worth….. I Was told today from a person ( he’s a massive Knights fan) that Hook has been sacked and his last game in charge is this weekend game against the Cows, RCarr will take over from Monday as the club didn’t want to jeopardise Hunts 300 game, and Ryles has agreed to a 5 year deal starting next season.
Love your work RB, so he's a Knights fan but has the inside goss on the Dragons, i still like it though !!!

Last edited:

randomdragon

Juniors
so if hes a knights fan where did he get his info from???

Latest posts