What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

brissiedragon

Juniors
I enjoyed watching the Dragons under Mary and had more hope of a win each time they played than the other 2 coaches. When Mary started he had a pretty bad side that were soft, remember Willy Mason's comments? Mary toughened them a bit after that. Where as when Hook joined he had a decent squad but went for cheapies that ended up being duds. We can agree to disagree but if you think Hook or Price was better than Mary at the Dragons so be it. The team is a much bigger mess now that it was post Price and Mary.
Onya Mary's mum

TheRev

Coach
Hey OT, just look at Flanno's record. He turned many players from rocks to diamonds. I cannot recall any going the other way. That is why there is so much optimism. Saints have the juniors and players to succeed but the coaches in the past have failed to bring out the best in them. I think Mary did the better of the 3 as he got some to play for Origin or on the cusp e.g Lomax. He was close to getting a NSW jersey and has gone backwards big time.

We can only hope Flanno has the same success as he did in the past not like the other 3 who have never tasted success. All Flanno needs to do is get the players we have play to their potential and we will come along way to the previous years just like the Panthers did post Hook days.
I think if we had of signed Flanno last year, we would have our roster flying for 2024, but as it is.. I think there are too many rocks (with no diamond potential) to do a lot with.. but we really just need to be moving in the right direction.. developing the right people... and set up for a 2025 that should be substantially better with a larger roster turnover and time to recruit.

since77

Juniors
Don't call me a dummy dude, not nice. I'm just repeating what is in the article I attached. If you have evidence to the contrary show us.

Edit; Zero Tackle has Lomax's "reported salary" at $700,000.00 per year for 2023 and 2024. Still way too high for a guy that's never lived up to the hype, a centre with just 3 linebreaks from 15 games this year (he's conceded a lot more than that) and who's kicking at 63%. You want some quality players then sacrifices need to be made.
You’re basing a large part of your judgement on a guy on garbage speculation from hacks like zero tackle and complete gutter scum like Rothfield. As someone else posted above his salary starts with a 5. Like a large number of current NRL contracts it has ratchets in it attached to salary cap increases so it will go up in line with those if and when they happen. Big difference between 5 & 8, would you agree? Don’t believe everything you read or you might be sitting there on November 1 waiting for Jason Ryles to start his “done deal” as head coach……

Draginzaaar

Bench
My recollection was slightly different .....

pulling my hair out virtually every game... 1 out running for the first 5 tackles and bomb on 6

Then the field was 5 metres short...otherwise we win...

Followed by we were 85 mins from a GF... which was used non stop for what 3 years....

I am sure there is more, but self preservation kicks in and I have blotted it out of my memory.

Loved the guy as a player....

Unfortunately for me he tarnished his legacy.....

One of the first things Bennett did when he arrived was to show Mary the door....

Speaks volumes.
Still made the semis twice and if it wasn't for Hunt's dumb play in extra time, we could have been in a Prelim final.

getsmarty

Immortal
Still made the semis twice and if it wasn't for Hunt's dumb play in extra time, we could have been in a Prelim final.

Exactly my point...a decent coach would more than likely have taken us deeper into the finals + Mary had a stronger roster than the rest.

Re The hunt play... The game lasts for 80 mins...Cannot remember the forward, but didn't they give away 2 penalties that gifted souths points... Easy to zero in on 1 player, but its a team sport...

Without hunt and widdop, we don't even get that far.

P.S I understand that hunt is on the nose @ the moment... I want him gone as much as anyone else if he no longer wants to be here....as long as we get compensation player wise.

Illusion

Bench
Don't call me a dummy dude, not nice. I'm just repeating what is in the article I attached. If you have evidence to the contrary show us.

Edit; Zero Tackle has Lomax's "reported salary" at $700,000.00 per year for 2023 and 2024. Still way too high for a guy that's never lived up to the hype, a centre with just 3 linebreaks from 15 games this year (he's conceded a lot more than that) and who's kicking at 63%. You want some quality players then sacrifices need to be made.
Kit yes he is over paided , but we have come this far with him ...... To his defense he has had a bunch of dud coaches so far and is playing in a close to getting the spoon team ..... I feel there is a above average player there , with a good coach ( maybe Flanno ) and a better roster , we might see the best of him ...... If we let him go and he is picked up by a better team we may regret it ......

Old Timer

Coach
Hey OT, just look at Flanno's record. He turned many players from rocks to diamonds. I cannot recall any going the other way. That is why there is so much optimism. Saints have the juniors and players to succeed but the coaches in the past have failed to bring out the best in them. I think Mary did the better of the 3 as he got some to play for Origin or on the cusp e.g Lomax. He was close to getting a NSW jersey and has gone backwards big time.

We can only hope Flanno has the same success as he did in the past not like the other 3 who have never tasted success. All Flanno needs to do is get the players we have play to their potential and we will come along way to the previous years just like the Panthers did post Hook days.
I'm of the opinion that many in this place vastly over rate both our juniors and many of our signings.

We do so in the hope that our positive posts will translate into results and alas that is far from what happens.

It's a bit of chicken and the egg thing in that was the coach bad or was the player in fact not that good and no matter who the coach was he wouldn't get much better.

Plenty of times so called good or going to be great players have left and in reality how many have really bitten us on the arse despite some going to very good coaches and much better systems?

All the malarkey that Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson would turn our roster in something special is just that malarkey.

They may have done better than Hook & Mc Fooknuckle but the reality is they would have got stuck into the roster and changed it because it wasn't very good and no self respecting coach would want to own it.

Now Hook & Mc Fooknuckle probably didn't want to own it either but with their obvious lack of pulling power and Haran & Co running the show they had what they were given and nobody of note would do all that much better with it but all the while we kept faith and kept rating it blaming coaches.

Not to say coaches shouldn't shoulder lots of blame but in fairness its not as if they had lots of gems to play with let alone polish.

justadragon

Bench
My recollection was slightly different .....

pulling my hair out virtually every game... 1 out running for the first 5 tackles and bomb on 6

Then the field was 5 metres short...otherwise we win...

Followed by we were 85 mins from a GF... which was used non stop for what 3 years....

I am sure there is more, but self preservation kicks in and I have blotted it out of my memory.

Loved the guy as a player....

Unfortunately for me he tarnished his legacy.....

One of the first things Bennett did when he arrived was to show Mary the door....

Speaks volumes.
Hey getsmarty I think you need to get comfortable being uncomfortable :)))

Dragon David

First Grade

BLM01

First Grade
I enjoyed watching the Dragons under Mary and had more hope of a win each time they played than the other 2 coaches. When Mary started he had a pretty bad side that were soft, remember Willy Mason's comments? Mary toughened them a bit after that. Where as when Hook joined he had a decent squad but went for cheapies that ended up being duds. We can agree to disagree but if you think Hook or Price was better than Mary at the Dragons so be it. The team is a much bigger mess now that it was post Price and Mary.
Whilst results supposedly went Mary's over those 2, Mary was the biggest excuse whisperer and could not except his own coaching mediocrity

Latest posts