What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

possm

Coach
Yes- our last premiership backline had two speedy centres (Gasnier and Cooper), a speedy, dynamic winger (Morris) complemented by a slow but safe, dependable and incredibly strong and acrobatic winger (Nightingale). Now we have the slow Suli, the slow Lomax, the slow, defensively unsafe Feagai with the dynamic- but relatively slow and defensively unsafe- Rava. And our wing back-up over the last couple of years-the arthritically slow Moga!! Time for major backline surgery folks.
Our backline is being coached to compress in defense mainly because our edge defense has been unreliable. This means both Ravalawa and Matt Fegai have to follow their inside men in and leave plenty of room down the flank for the opposition winger to score.

I say fix the edge defense problem and then maybe our wingers can mark up.

John moz

Juniors
Not a rumour but didn’t know where else to put this. The Leagues club having a general meeting to approve amalgamation with Arncliffe Scott’s club. Thought it was closed? Or are they buying property & poker machine licences ?
Its because St george leagues is on 60million renovation starting in weeks

slippery5

Juniors
Also Lomax would have to be mad to give up the type of money we are currently paying him. Unless Flanno is playing some sort of 4D chess, I don’t see how cutting Lomax loose would benefit us at this stag

Big difference between Sims, Coates v Lomax as the latter is on contract.
Its no news that Lomax was told if he was not happy and could get a better deal elsewhere do you best, so maybe Bellamy was interested and reached out through managers said if you want to go we can talk at that time
But he is on contract and I doubt he will get a better deal and since all that he has said publicly he is staying and Flanno wants him here. It shows in his performances of late.
Then maybe he is just doing his best, looking at a better organisation in city where he isn't under so much scrutiny to win games on his back...
Fact is, they are looking at replacement centres & Lomax is their target.

Parko1310

Juniors
They all trump Hame Sele.

I rate Salmon as a great utility and Taafe would have come at great value can slot in anywhere out the back. Xerri was going places before it all came crashing down.
Completely disagree. Sele is a good player to start. Yes we need more, but he is a good player. Salmon is so average, Taafe is below that. Completely overhyped and most Souths fans are happy to see the back of him. He's so bad. Xerri was only going places if you listened to commentary teams and the media. He was fast, that was it. He was never actually that good. Go and watch his games before he got suspended, he was awful. Defensively completely inept. The Dogs won't be any good next year despite all these signings because their signings, as I said, are dirt water.

possm

Coach
Completely disagree. Sele is a good player to start. Yes we need more, but he is a good player. Salmon is so average, Taafe is below that. Completely overhyped and most Souths fans are happy to see the back of him. He's so bad. Xerri was only going places if you listened to commentary teams and the media. He was fast, that was it. He was never actually that good. Go and watch his games before he got suspended, he was awful. Defensively completely inept. The Dogs won't be any good next year despite all these signings because their signings, as I said, are dirt water.
We always have enough second-level players coming through our juniors. They usually lack experience and for some reason also have poor defensive skills. Flannagan realizes this and so with his salary cap in mind will recruit two or three stars to complement what we have now. It goes without saying that Flanno will shed the dead wood as soon as possible.

Having a fairly expensive center like Lomax, it would be a case of fitting him into a spine position and during the off-season, preparing him for a season in that position. By doing this he could promote an outside back at a reasonable cost. Flannagan's capacity to improve a player's skill set should not be underestimated.

Backline
Looking at our current top 13, who fits in the top side for 2024, and which positions do we need to promote/recruit another player for:

fullback-Lomax,
Meeney
Wingers-the two best-performing wingers in the off-season
Centers-Suli, Amone,
Meeney
Halves-Hunt, K Flannagan, Amone, Meeney

Stack reserve grade with good promising backline players as backup to the above.

Forwards
Props-We need to buy
two top-line props
Edge Forwads-Su'A, T Couchman
Lock- De Belin
Hooker-Hunt, Liddle,
K Flannagan

Bench
Utility-Bird
Bench Props-Lawrie, F Molo, Sele
Bench Backrow-M Molo, Sele

Preferred Spine
Lomax
Amone
Flannagan
Hunt

So we need to urgently recruit two top-grade props at about 700k each and one center at 600k. In addition, we need to fill the wing positions with the two best wingers of the off-season.

Then get rid of the dead wood forwards and keep those we have to keep in reserve grade.

The Word

Juniors
Yes- our last premiership backline had two speedy centres (Gasnier and Cooper), a speedy, dynamic winger (Morris) complemented by a slow but safe, dependable and incredibly strong and acrobatic winger (Nightingale). Now we have the slow Suli, the slow Lomax, the slow, defensively unsafe Feagai with the dynamic- but relatively slow and defensively unsafe- Rava. And our wing back-up over the last couple of years-the arthritically slow Moga!! Time for major backline surgery folks.
Plus Soward who was lightning over the first 50 metres.

Victoire

Juniors
Paul Alamoti.. another one on the market. Could be a good depth option in the centres, upgrade on Feagai and Moga. And players who didn't excel at the Dogs in recent times often improve at their new clubs.

From the Mole:
"That means players have to go - utility Jake Averillo has already signed with the Dolphins while Wide World of Sports has learned that centres Braidon Burns and Paul Alamoti haven't been offered new deals.

Burns has been talking to English clubs, while Alamoti should be able to find a contract at another NRL club."

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Looking at the last 10 years the premiers/minor premiers are Penrith, Storm and Chooks. All 3 did not go out recruiting 8+ players and turning over 40 plus in 3 years. These clubs bought no-name juniors and 1 or 2 marquee. The made these juniors stars like Cleary, Luia, Munster, Cronk, Manu, Cordner, Friend etc they did not grab them from other clubs. And before people jump on the Chooks, they lost RTS and brought in Teddy. Pearce for Cronk, etc. They replace 1 marquee for another not buy 3 marquee players for the price of 3 standard first grade players and make us believe they were stars on big dollars.

Dogs are linked to and buying everyone they can and look at the mess they are in. I think Saints and Tigers have more upside due to their juniors than the Dogs .They are a mess. Everyone tipped them to be fringe 8 because they bought the best assistant coach apparently, and some big recruits. Dragons and Tigers were tipped to come last. Dogs juniors are going great but they ignore them anyway and would rather buy a marquee or other teams juniors.

Dragons have now brought in a top line coach and Tigers got rid of the dinosaur in Sheens. That is what the Dogs need not 8 new signings. They need a coach who will not throw players under the bus for his poor systems/coaching he has tried to implement and get rid of the best car salesman in the world in Gus who has many on here believe he is the best operator. Again remember when he said Cleary needed a break as he was tired and he brought in Hook? The Panthers BOD then went behind his back to get Cleary back and the rest is history. He has done the same more or less with Cameron and has there really been any difference with him and Barrett. 1 Penrith assistant for another?

Andrew Davey has always been a bench player as he made his NRL debut late ( i think he was 28) and I doubt he expected a start up every game and was out done by Preston. I do however believe he was probably told to move to the Dogs and guaranteed a start and it did not eventuate. I am also of the opinion a lot of players were sold a dream by Gus and they are all probably fuming hence why there is bad culture and an exodus of players leaving but we will be led to believe they were not good enough for the Dogs and let go. Just like Reimis Smith, Montoya, Lesniak, etc who seem to be doing ok at their new clubs. I am sure Averillo will be a star as well at the Dolphins under a proper coach.

One thing I learnt is the media like to protect the Dogs and once the Tigers or Dragons have a bit of turmoil they blow it all up and call them a basket case or whatever else Hoops comes up with to think he is being funny whilst Anast has his nice grin at their misfortune. It is obvious they want the Dogs to succeed and the Tigers and Dragons who actually have a history of winning many more comps on hard work and not cheating to fail.

redVinme

Bench
Looking at the last 10 years the premiers/minor premiers are Penrith, Storm and Chooks. All 3 did not go out recruiting 8+ players and turning over 40 plus in 3 years. These clubs bought no-name juniors and 1 or 2 marquee. The made these juniors stars like Cleary, Luia, Munster, Cronk, Manu, Cordner, Friend etc they did not grab them from other clubs. And before people jump on the Chooks, they lost RTS and brought in Teddy. Pearce for Cronk, etc. They replace 1 marquee for another not buy 3 marquee players for the price of 3 standard first grade players and make us believe they were stars on big dollars.

Dogs are linked to and buying everyone they can and look at the mess they are in. I think Saints and Tigers have more upside due to their juniors than the Dogs .They are a mess. Everyone tipped them to be fringe 8 because they bought the best assistant coach apparently, and some big recruits. Dragons and Tigers were tipped to come last. Dogs juniors are going great but they ignore them anyway and would rather buy a marquee or other teams juniors.

Dragons have now brought in a top line coach and Tigers got rid of the dinosaur in Sheens. That is what the Dogs need not 8 new signings. They need a coach who will not throw players under the bus for his poor systems/coaching he has tried to implement and get rid of the best car salesman in the world in Gus who has many on here believe he is the best operator. Again remember when he said Cleary needed a break as he was tired and he brought in Hook? The Panthers BOD then went behind his back to get Cleary back and the rest is history. He has done the same more or less with Cameron and has there really been any difference with him and Barrett. 1 Penrith assistant for another?

Andrew Davey has always been a bench player as he made his NRL debut late ( i think he was 28) and I doubt he expected a start up every game and was out done by Preston. I do however believe he was probably told to move to the Dogs and guaranteed a start and it did not eventuate. I am also of the opinion a lot of players were sold a dream by Gus and they are all probably fuming hence why there is bad culture and an exodus of players leaving but we will be led to believe they were not good enough for the Dogs and let go. Just like Reimis Smith, Montoya, Lesniak, etc who seem to be doing ok at their new clubs. I am sure Averillo will be a star as well at the Dolphins under a proper coach.

One thing I learnt is the media like to protect the Dogs and once the Tigers or Dragons have a bit of turmoil they blow it all up and call them a basket case or whatever else Hoops comes up with to think he is being funny whilst Anast has his nice grin at their misfortune. It is obvious they want the Dogs to succeed and the Tigers and Dragons who actually have a history of winning many more comps on hard work and not cheating to fail.
Agree, all these teams that won also have one thing in common. Top end talent. You need players that are top 5 in their position to be a chance, even better if they are in your spine.

This allows you to recruit lower quality talent in positions of less importance because they are such floor and ceiling raisers.

Without that bottom four teams will keep being just that. Problem is the way the system is set up if you are shit IE Saints. You buy one marquee and because you have to pay overs they are all you can afford and the cycle continues

justadragon

Bench
Agree, all these teams that won also have one thing in common. Top end talent. You need players that are top 5 in their position to be a chance, even better if they are in your spine.

This allows you to recruit lower quality talent in positions of less importance because they are such floor and ceiling raisers.

Without that bottom four teams will keep being just that. Problem is the way the system is set up if you are shit IE Saints. You buy one marquee and because you have to pay overs they are all you can afford and the cycle continues
The sooner they bring in a draft and trade period into the NRL the better !!!

Dragon David

First Grade

Agree 100% with this Slippery. Gus's recruitment is all over the place. As you say have the important 4-5 positions covered by top guys and build around them and replace the good guys at the appropriate times like retirement with a like player and plan this well ahead of time. Having one or two slotted in anywhere whatever is slipshod stuff and you just cannot build a team like that that's why Flanagan and his men need to go for the jugular to sign and fill at least 4 positions with whoever is the really best at the time or in the nearest opportunity - just ensure lining them up and not slipping through the cracks - even any, that a good talent spotter which I think Flanno is, in the lower grades or who might come to his attention somewhere in Australia or Super League.

We know that the Storm, Roosters and Penrith have got there successful structures and systems and formulae in place and no matter who comes and goes, they can get the new players and assistant coaches rolling along without too many hitches if any at all.

I genuinely hope that Flanagan has the ability to get these systems, structures etc in place sooner than later and get the right players to build around. It is his job to make sure that it happens. Just needs to look closer in how those successful clubs are doing it.

Dragon David

First Grade

100% agree redV.

Dragon David

First Grade
Don't know why they've taken him, but I thank them wholeheartedly. Another spot freed up for next year, let's hope we can fill it with someone worthwhile
I think that he could be a replacement for Jordan Riki who is going to the Dolphins. He was born in Brisbane and played juniors up there so maybe more than happy to go back. Moved to Melbourne Storm for a bit and then to us. He is a tall guy at 6 ft 3 and weighing in over 110kg. Under Walters and being part of the Broncos system, he might just turn out better like some who have left us but certainly not all.

Him leaving now and I hope several others, who have been tapped to go, will be signed as soon as possible will give us more cash to get good replacements ready for the off season/pre season training under Flanagan.