What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, but it only involves the Storm & they don't have their eyes on any other Dragon.
as mentioned earlier there last big poaching was told to me long before it was in the papers. (Coates)
Big difference between Sims, Coates v Lomax as the latter is on contract.
Its no news that Lomax was told if he was not happy and could get a better deal elsewhere do you best, so maybe Bellamy was interested and reached out through managers said if you want to go we can talk at that time
But he is on contract and I doubt he will get a better deal and since all that he has said publicly he is staying and Flanno wants him here. It shows in his performances of late.

The Word

Juniors
Lomax is the best 1-5 we got. I like Ravas efforts but still needs to improve his awareness at times and put the battering ram away where a subtle step or look for support inside would do
I do like both of them but feel that one of those spots needs someone with more pace. None of our four main outside backs seem like they have that burning pace. I remember a few year ago we had a weaker back line and the priority was to get some physical strength in there.

I just feel like maybe we've lost a lot of speed in the process.

The Word

Juniors
At one point I would have spat the dummy over this but we simply need to get as many fresh faces into the joint as we can. I can't say I've watched much of him recently but he did seem to hit first grade and plateau as a player. At least he is one player that will play for the coach and if anyone can get the best out of him it will be dad.
10 years of coaching my own kids tells me Dad isn't always the right one to get the best out of them lol. Then again, Flanagan is a better coach than me...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Luia and Hunt would make up a great halves combo. Much better than Amone. Saints do have cash to spend so I don't see why not.

Dogs have the edge with the ex-coach and players in the squad to entice him and an endless salary cap. Hopefully all the culture news out of the Dogs will scar him off.

Parko1310

Juniors
Jarome Luai a free agent from November 1 and likely to be getting an unders offer from the Panthers. Would you?

Lots of other 6's I'd go for before Luai. Personally, I think at any other club than the Panthers he'd take the pay cheque and be a complete flop. I really don't think he's THAT good of a player, and you put him in a worse off team and I think his weaknesses would be completely exposed. He can occasionally create something out of nothing, but I don't think he's all that reliable and for the money he'd command, I don't think he's worth the risk. I think it'd be a Corey Norman 2.0

Victoire

Juniors
Lots of other 6's I'd go for before Luai. Personally, I think at any other club than the Panthers he'd take the pay cheque and be a complete flop. I really don't think he's THAT good of a player, and you put him in a worse off team and I think his weaknesses would be completely exposed. He can occasionally create something out of nothing, but I don't think he's all that reliable and for the money he'd command, I don't think he's worth the risk. I think it'd be a Corey Norman 2.0
Luai's much more of a fierce competitor than Norman, otherwise I agree with all that. Problem is, which of the other 6's are a) available and b) would plausibly sign with us? Premiership-winning, origin players (who've also played in a World Cup final) don't hit the market too often. Not even Wayne Bennett and a big bag of Dolphin cash could entice Cam Munster away from Melbourne. If we hold out for someone like Ezra Mam for example we may be left standing when the music stops

thebigredv

First Grade
I tend to disagree. I thought Luai was great for Samoa in the World Cup and stands out more when Cleary is not next to him. Where as Cleary on his own does not look as good especially when he played for Australia. Luai really impressed me in the World Cup.
True but he is a lively competitor who has been a major part of the positive culture of the Panthers. Surely worth a probe but not on Hynes/Hunt/Haas type money.

From my perspective, the problem here is not assessing Luai’s worth, but whether he will Gel with HUNT.

Dragons sorely need a 7 & 8 both playing to maximum potential.

Hunt underperformed with Widdop as 5/8 – Hunt’s own game improved when Griffin made him captain, but to the detriment of every other playmaker; Norman, Clune, Mbye, Sullivan and now Amone. In fact, with our “marquee” Captain, not one player has flourished under his tutorship, let alone a halves partner.

The BOD bears much responsibility for recruitment, but I doubt there’s any decent players clamouring to play alongside (C) Hunt for any reason bar an over inflated paycheck.

I would have been much happier had they let the little piggy go when he was squealing. 😊

Phantom V

Juniors
The question is what players do we have around him that can capitalise on his play, and I also think Hunt would stifle him like he does to every other half.
Not that I think it would happen but I would welcome his style of play. At the moment we don’t have any creativity in our halves and they play before the line without committing the defence. I’d limit Hunts involvement to kicking and squaring up the defence to allow Luai’ to create for the outside backs. Our current style of play relies to heavily on Hunt IMO.