What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
In other news, it was rumoured about a month ago that clubs are being forced by the NRL to change their logos at some point in the near future if their current logo does not meet the "modern" and "simplistic" look that the NRL want all of the logos to look like. Raiders and Manly have both changed their logos to be more simplistic next season. And, well, they both look shit. I hope and pray it is not an NRL enforced thing as is rumoured, because our logo is far from simplistic. It's one of, if not the best logo, in the competition as it stands and I won't be happy if we're forced to change to that shit alternate logo that's been appearing on training jerseys recently and on other merchandise over the last 2-3 years. Thoughts?

dungay dragon

Juniors
Had a chuckle over that fart reference Slippery. But you have it spot on, this secrecy is driving us bananas. If the long wait is for some good news then it is worth it, but if it is more of the same then we long suffering fans deserve to be spitting chips.
So true guys its terribly frustrating for us all BUT , given by the rules now in place , some of these guys that we are talking to with a hope of signing have contracts with other Clubs for 2024 ...
They may have agreed to join the big Red V but now cant be officially announced till a cooling off period of 2 weeks from Nov 1 or said Clubs mutually agree on player release or swap

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Draft is impossible in the NRL. Players will just switch to rugby union, or go play in England or France.

It works in AFL because no-one plays that shit anywhere else
Never thought of this but great point regarding why the draft works well in AFL. Where else will they go if they don't take part in the draft? Only thing I can think of is they can go to Ireland and play Gaelic football. The same can be said for the NFL hence why the draft works so well there.

NRL players on the other hand have Union and England to go to. But when you think of it if a player leaves the NRL for money or because he does not want to play in a team in the NRL then good riddance. Why should anyone who loves the game care about someone that does not care about making the game better than what it is whilst still getting paid good coin doing what you love. You will have the Ben Hunt scenario's for those teams where they will whinge and ask for releases and you can all see how bad that looks for the club and fans. Those types of players can go for all I care.

With the draft systems, do the clubs that bring up the kids through there junior system get first option to keep them and if the player refuses to go then they go into the draft or no matter what, the player has to go to the draft once their contract is over? That would be my way of the draft. Clubs choose who go into the draft. They can offer the player whatever they want and if the player refuses then he goes into the draft.

Also, how do they then determine how much the player gets paid in his contract if selected from the draft? Is there a set amount dependant of his experience? That is where it may get tricky.

Victoire

Juniors
In other news, it was rumoured about a month ago that clubs are being forced by the NRL to change their logos at some point in the near future if their current logo does not meet the "modern" and "simplistic" look that the NRL want all of the logos to look like. Raiders and Manly have both changed their logos to be more simplistic next season. And, well, they both look shit. I hope and pray it is not an NRL enforced thing as is rumoured, because our logo is far from simplistic. It's one of, if not the best logo, in the competition as it stands and I won't be happy if we're forced to change to that shit alternate logo that's been appearing on training jerseys recently and on other merchandise over the last 2-3 years. Thoughts?
Totally agree.

I read someone describe it well like this: the new "simplistic" logos look like they come from a franchise, rather than from a football club.

Fingers crossed we are not lured into that trap. Surely not

possm

Coach
Had a chuckle over that fart reference Slippery. But you have it spot on, this secrecy is driving us bananas. If the long wait is for some good news then it is worth it, but if it is more of the same then we long suffering fans deserve to be spitting chips.
I'd say the good news is, Hunt gone to the Broncos with no freight costs and the Dragons sign Lui and Tracey as a result.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Blocka has just come off arguably his best season and as a starting prop. Trim that belly fat in the off season and he will be ever better from here on. I say only the one imported prop is necessary, instead give local junior Josh Coric a crack.
I have heard a lot about Josh Coric and looking forward to seeing how he goes. Poor guy has been injured last season so will require a huge off season.

TheRev

Coach
Su'A did ask for an early release last season but was refused and seemed to have settled down a bit. I'm sure he was concerned about being overlooked for SOO.
His contract extension was supposedly done 6 months ago... if he's opted to wait for November 1st.. then clearly he's going to market.. or to be blunt.. he already has a suitor.. I'll be amazed if we keep him.. we would have wrapped it up months ago as a priority if it was just a money issue... once we have to compete with all the cap cheaters, we r stuffed.

TheRev

Coach
Coric has had 16 games in NSW Cup and not really made an impact (which really surprised me).. I still have confidence that he just needs more time (injuries willing), as he seemed like the guy who led the amone/sullivan/sloane/stewart SG ball era from up front.. and a great attitude for a prop... but he's certainly not going to be in 1st grade any time soon.. hes looking like a slow burn.. and our 1st grade pack needs rep quality players before we compete for the Top8.

Parko1310

Juniors
Coric has had 16 games in NSW Cup and not really made an impact (which really surprised me).. I still have confidence that he just needs more time (injuries willing), as he seemed like the guy who led the amone/sullivan/sloane/stewart SG ball era from up front.. and a great attitude for a prop... but he's certainly not going to be in 1st grade any time soon.. hes looking like a slow burn.. and our 1st grade pack needs rep quality players before we compete for the Top8.
You would also have to assume both Fifita and Tuitavake are ahead of him at this stage and are also young up and coming props. There may not be a spot for Coric going into the future unless he carves up NSW cup

blacksafake

First Grade
This is the clause taken from SMH, I highlighted in red the 2 important bits..... but given that we cant legally talk to any of these players until Nov 1st... and before that 10-day period starts.. we need a negotiated binding contract signed by our club and witnesses etc and delivered to the NRL Auditor.

So we are really looking at mid November for signatures being formalised (sooner if the other club waives the right to negotiate). The Auditor keeps the contracts confidential... but maybe (hopefully) the Journos get the news earlier. The only guy on our side im worried about losing is Su'a.
I’d be inclined to say Su’a is gone if he hasn’t been extended by now which would pi55 me off. Rate him highly.

I’d be inclined to say Su’a is gone if he hasn’t been extended by now which would pi55 me off. Rate him highly.
According to the article on the Fox Sports website Su'a was recently seen looking at houses in south east Queensland.
My guess is he is being pursued by Bennett and may well have already given a commitment to sign with the Dolphins.
That said, Flanagan may well have told him he is free to leave in 2025 as part of his reshaping our roster.

TheRev said:

Nene is exactly the type of winger that haunted us over the years, massive dudes who cant turn around,
I dont recall him as that. A big dude yes but with surprising agility. Many a time he'd swan dive to score the almost impossible corner tries one handed, well before this exciting scoring method became fashionable. Going on his four try masterpiece for the Kumuls he still has it. Surely Rene wants to return to the NRL. He and Lucie would be great additions to our roster, so heres hoping Flanno is looking at them.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Report today on Foxsports

Analysis: Jaydn Su’A is contracted until the end of 2024 but he’s been linked to a Dragons exit for 12 months and the backrower reportedly seriously considered submitting a release request this time last year. Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has declared his interest in the 25-year-old and Su’A was earlier this month spotted inspecting houses in Brisbane. Su’A made his NRL debut under Bennett.

Latest posts