What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
Report today on Foxsports

Analysis: Jaydn Su’A is contracted until the end of 2024 but he’s been linked to a Dragons exit for 12 months and the backrower reportedly seriously considered submitting a release request this time last year. Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has declared his interest in the 25-year-old and Su’A was earlier this month spotted inspecting houses in Brisbane. Su’A made his NRL debut under Bennett.
If it's the case that Su'a is going to leave, it makes a signing like Josh Curran all the more important. Maybe someone like Siua Wong or Shawn Blore as well as longer term I think Curran is a better option at lock.

justadragon

Bench
Draft is impossible in the NRL. Players will just switch to rugby union, or go play in England or France.

It works in AFL because no-one plays that shit anywhere else
See your point but they have trades and transfers in soccer, and the last time I checked they were playing that all over the world. And if you know of a better way to spread the talent around other than a draft please let me know. Obviously the salary cap works a treat.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Lachlan Lam.
If we're looking for a long term halves solution, Lam isn't the answer. I'm also not really understanding the want for Luai if any of it is true when Tom Dearden hits the open market at the same time. He'd be a better signing in my opinion as he comes cheaper, is younger, and can control a game but also run. Defence is good for a small body too. Luai will cost more, is an unknown outside of the Penrith system and is not a great defender. Now also has a questionable shoulder

BLM01

First Grade
I dont recall him as that. A big dude yes but with surprising agility. Many a time he'd swan dive to score the almost impossible corner tries one handed, well before this exciting scoring method became fashionable. Going on his four try masterpiece for the Kumuls he still has it. Surely Rene wants to return to the NRL. He and Lucie would be great additions to our roster, so heres hoping Flanno is looking at them.
Can’t believe people are even considering bringing back Nene whose NRL career is over based on a game against Cook Islands

Luciano has always had ability to attack
If only he had the same ability and work ethic in defence which he never has then I reckon he is worth pursuing

Parko1310

Juniors
Why, need a reason from you.
Lam's already 25, will be 26 early next year. Failed to prove himself in the NRL whilst he was here, and from what I observed of him when he was here, could not control a game and was a selfish player. Constantly dummies and runs when it's not the play. Hasn't much of a great kicking game either, not a strong defender. To be honest, he's just a really bang average half at NRL level.

Compare that to Dearden for example, who is only 22 years of age (will be 23 in the same month Lam turns 26 next year), has already proven himself at NRL level, has played State of Origin (and killed it), is a good defender for a half, can run but has good pass selections too.

Lam you are asking for trouble if you want him as your long term half, I just think people would be bitterly disappointed at the output he actually gives. Super League's very different to the NRL, and apart from a few big plays there, he isn't really jumping out as being way too good for that level. Same goes with his international games. Playing the Cook Islands isn't exactly a massive test for him. If he were to play on a level playing field, let's say against Fiji, he wouldn't stand out. He's just a bit average, admittedly with some talent, and a famous last name.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Why would Tom Dearden leave Nth Qld to come to Saints? I am sure the Cows will throw everything they can to keep him and they look more likely to win a comp than Saints in the next year or 2. Plus, they threw him a lifeline whilst he was an outcast at the Broncos and he has been that good that he played for Qld. And to think that if the Broncos played their cards right and did not have Siebold as coach, they would have had Dearden and Mam as their halves, both in the low 20's.

The guy I have massive wraps on is Faalogo at the Storm, he was impressive in his NRL debut and even more in his Rep debut for Samoa. Bloody bunker ripped him off a brilliant try on top of that .This kid is going to be a star. I would throw the kitchen sink at him but that won't happen. No stars leave the Storm unless Bellamy has squeezed the juice out of the lemon. The Storm have got another gem of a player. For a club that has not much of a pathways system they seem to be doing extremely well identifying gun juniors.

Parko1310

Juniors
Why would Tom Dearden leave Nth Qld to come to Saints? I am sure the Cows will throw everything they can to keep him and they look more likely to win a comp than Saints in the next year or 2. Plus, they threw him a lifeline whilst he was an outcast at the Broncos and he has been that good that he played for Qld. And to think that if the Broncos played their cards right and did not have Siebold as coach, they would have had Dearden and Mam as their halves, both in the low 20's.

The guy I have massive wraps on is Faalogo at the Storm, he was impressive in his NRL debut and even more in his Rep debut for Samoa. Bloody bunker ripped him off a brilliant try on top of that .This kid is going to be a star. I would throw the kitchen sink at him but that won't happen. No stars leave the Storm unless Bellamy has squeezed the juice out of the lemon. The Storm have got another gem of a player. For a club that has not much of a pathways system they seem to be doing extremely well identifying gun juniors.
They also just triggered an extension clause in Faalogo's contract, so he's not available from November. They have a decision to make with him and Papenhuyzen, I'd imagine given his injury run Paps will be gone soon enough.

In regard to Dearden, I don't think we'd get him, but he's a better option than both Lam and Luai. He's more the sort of player we need so if Flanagan is after a half, he's my preferred player coming off contract, so he's the one I'd go hardest for.

Phantom V

Juniors
They also just triggered an extension clause in Faalogo's contract, so he's not available from November. They have a decision to make with him and Papenhuyzen, I'd imagine given his injury run Paps will be gone soon enough.

In regard to Dearden, I don't think we'd get him, but he's a better option than both Lam and Luai. He's more the sort of player we need so if Flanagan is after a half, he's my preferred player coming off contract, so he's the one I'd go hardest for.
I agree. He’s got the makings of a good half and he’s a real competitor which is what we need. Also young enough to build a team around him in the long term. Ideally a swap deal for Hunt with money leftover. No brainer really!

Hasn't much of a great kicking game either, not a strong defender.
Looked fine in both those respects in the Kumuls v Cook Island match. Tackled well and kicked a 40/20, comms said it was more a 20/20 with a strong wind behind it , but it was the clever way he used the wind to his advantage that was impressive. Some will say that having such weak opposition, such as these CI guys that play mostly in Reggies for their states is not a good guage of ability. I disagree. A moot point probably as doubt Flanagan is pursuing Lam, or Dearden too now he has his son here.

Parko1310

Juniors
Looked fine in both those respects in the Kumuls v Cook Island match. Tackled well and kicked a 40/20, comms said it was more a 20/20 with a strong wind behind it , but it was the clever way he used the wind to his advantage that was impressive. Some will say that having such weak opposition, such as these CI guys that play mostly in Reggies for their states is not a good guage of ability. I disagree. A moot point probably as doubt Flanagan is pursuing Lam, or Dearden too now he has his son here.
I doubt we'll get either of them either, but in regard to the kicking game of Lam: 0 40/20's during the super league season. Well behind the league leader in both attacking kicks and kicks in general play. It's hard to judge if his defence has improved at all given he's been in super league, but it wasn't great whilst he was here. It is true though that the international game is generally much slower, and in a complete PNG demolition of the Cook Island's, Lam didn't get much thrown at him.

TheRev

Coach
Su'a:
o it sounds like he just wants out, perhaps the extension talks on here were misinformed or something changed.. that said I don't think we will be letting him go early.. we need his quality next year, and it gives us 12 months to try and find a replacement, unless one of the couchmans ends up on an edge.

Halfbacks (Flanno, Lam whoever):
o I subscribe to the gould theory on this one, that halfbacks dont reach their peak until around age 30... I mean most will never be good enough, but just because players have failed in their early to mid 20s (for whatever reason or fair/unfair circumstances they found themselves in), imo that doesnt mean they cant come back with more life/footy experience under their belt and be a really solid 1st grader, if not more.

o Taking Cleary out of the equation, or maybe an A.Johns, most had a few failings before they got there.. some like Sean Johnson is 33yrs old, and this was his breakout year.. we dont need god.. we need the basics during our rebuild, and hopefully god comes later when we are on the rise. Jackson Hastings is another great example.. written off as useful after his first what 3 clubs? Went away and got some different experience.. learnt more about life and footy, and man management.

Last edited:

Biglance

Bench

Cowboys have offered 2 mill over 3 years but he's baulked at it

Gareth67

First Grade
Can’t believe people are even considering bringing back Nene whose NRL career is over based on a game against Cook Islands

Luciano has always had ability to attack
If only he had the same ability and work ethic in defence which he never has then I reckon he is worth pursuing
The first thing I would tell him would to be get his damn hair cut and concentrate on his footy . Has become a bit of a show pony always running his hand through his hair and I am not saying this because the hair fairy has stolen my hair whilst asleep , but as you have said BLMO1 his defence is shocking at times .

Parko1310

Juniors
Cowboys have offered 2 mill over 3 years but he's baulked at it
In the current market, for a quality half, that's a disgraceful offer from the Cows. Definitely worth more than that, and the offer has been tabled for a couple of months now too. They must have some cap issues. If he wasn't going to test his value, he would've signed a deal by now. Hopefully we can put ourselves in the race, he'd be a great get, especially looking towards the post Hunt era

hewi

Bench
The annual Charity Shield between South Sydney and St George Illawarra is headed to Sydney for the first time in seven years.
WIN Jubilee Stadium at Kogarah or Wollongong’s WIN Stadium are the preferred venues for the pre-season fixture, most likely to be held on Saturday, February 17.
The Charity Shield has never been played at Jubilee Stadium in the 41-year history of the pre-season contest.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has made no secret of his desire for the club to embrace their heartland of St George and the Charity Shield would leave an indelible mark.

How good will that be.

Dragon David

First Grade
The annual Charity Shield between South Sydney and St George Illawarra is headed to Sydney for the first time in seven years.
WIN Jubilee Stadium at Kogarah or Wollongong’s WIN Stadium are the preferred venues for the pre-season fixture, most likely to be held on Saturday, February 17.
The Charity Shield has never been played at Jubilee Stadium in the 41-year history of the pre-season contest.
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has made no secret of his desire for the club to embrace their heartland of St George and the Charity Shield would leave an indelible mark.

How good will that be.
Great to see and about time. We need to make Jubilee the ground that other clubs find it really hard to win games at - a fortress for the Dragons that no club can penetrate.

TheRev

Coach
News article seemed to indicate Mam will test the market.. Luai more than likely to do the same.. Dearden is the surprising one as he seems to be more of a sure thing.. but all 3 may be just getting some numbers so they can go back with more leverage..

We're in a tricky situation.. in theory we could go all in on 1 of em given Hunt is going.. so that money is there.. its more difficult to buy a 5/8 when Amone is still contracted on good money.. I believe his court case is tomorrow (wednesday) so maybe we can atleast take the legal/jail stuff away so he/us/whoever can make decisions just on his footballing ability.

Latest posts