What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
I can imagine when Curran met up with Gould he would’ve said something along the lines of ‘ Do you really wanna sign with a club where even the Captain wants out?’ …….GAME OVER
And apparantly dogs offered a "multi year deal " so flanno may have only offered a 1 or 2 year deal compared to dogs , so if he doesnt perform i suppose he may take up boxing to clear a roster spot .....
we may have missed out on him but if flanno is happy with what he offered curran then flanno is working on a plan , hopefully it bears fruit

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We really don’t look like an attractive club to sign with at the moment. We really need a solid start to next season, then hopefully some of these possible signings can see we are on our way up.
As a few others have mentioned before, we are really 12 months behind where we should be. Flanno should have been appointed last off season, I’m fairly confident we would have faired much better and be in a stronger bargaining position. The Hunt issue would have also resolved itself.

I think we are more of a realistic chance of signing someone like Chad Townsend. I would be negotiating a swap deal for Hunt. Townsend is exactly what we need right now.

TheRev

First Grade
We really don’t look like an attractive club to sign with at the moment. We really need a solid start to next season, then hopefully some of these possible signings can see we are on our way up.
As a few others have mentioned before, we are really 12 months behind where we should be. Flanno should have been appointed last off season, I’m fairly confident we would have faired much better and be in a stronger bargaining position. The Hunt issue would have also resolved itself.
This is exactly it.. this is the consequence of decisions made in 2022 and then 2023.. two successive years where we let Hook (&Haran) drop the ball big-time.. you cant afford to do that in the NRL, if you don't stay on top of your roster it falls to sh*t, and the consequence is you struggle to recruit externally.. and even internally you have your best players & your best juniors eyeing off better run clubs, and even if they stay we end up paying overs (Sloan, Amone, Sullivan for example)... its a slippery slope to hell.. and we may need 2024 just to arrest the negative momentum.. even the Tigers are 2years ahead of us with recruitment and junior development.
I think we are more of a realistic chance of signing someone like Chad Townsend. I would be negotiating a swap deal for Hunt. Townsend is exactly what we need right now.
Townsend makes more sense I agree (even more given hes a shark), it would be a real coup to grab a young emerging half like Dearden, there will be real competition for his signing.. that said the Cowboys obviously didnt throw the bank at the kid.. he is going to market.

hewi

Bench
He also spoke to the Dragons but told the club on Tuesday night that he would not be taking the offer.

That refers to Curran. It would be nice to know what the offer was and the reasons why he rejected it.

Coffs dragon

Bench
He also spoke to the Dragons but told the club on Tuesday night that he would not be taking the offer.

That refers to Curran. It would be nice to know what the offer was and the reasons why he rejected it.
Hewi, I’d be tipping just one word to why he rejected the offer…… Haran!
Flanno is still on holidays & our new recruitment guy, Shane Millard is busy with the Fijian Team as assistant coach.

BLM01

First Grade

I mean put it all in perspective
Love him or hate him you are dealing with Gus with his power, contacts and influence in the game and a BOD that will do anything +Laundy who is publicly actively involved with his club

Then the other contestant is Haran our BOD who have set up a wall of protection to their positions and an owner getting massages 10000km away

it is a one horse race ATM with the Dogs having a 99m start over 100m

Parko1310

Juniors
It'd be amazing to sign Dearden, but the supposed rumour seems to be little more than a thought bubble from Dave Riccio, rather than based on any inside info or mail. I don't think he's the most credible source either. I wouldnt pin my hopes on it
It's just very logical because he's young, we need a style of half like him, he's going to market and will easily be in a price range we can afford. I'd be offended by the Cows' offer if I were him too.

In regard to Curran, it's easier to sign players when your major sponsor is a wealthy business man with a lot of connections that personally gets players third party deals (which is illegal by the way). How Gus and Laundy got openly caught out for cheating the cap, with Laundy admitting to setting up third parties for a Tino deal, and the NRL just sweep it under the rug is baffling. Let's just pretend that didn't happen I guess...

possm

Coach
Apparently the Panthers have tabled a two year $850K per yr deal to Luai.
We should offer him up to $1.2m a year for 2 years or 3 years if he comes on board for 2024.
I think the prospect of playing alongside Luai would help us retain players like Hunt and Su'a who might even be happy to stick around and also sway other prospective signings. Hunt and Luai together would be awesome. We'd still need some more fire-power elsewhere i.e. speed out wide and grunt up front but you couldn't ask for more than those two halves to get you off on the right foot in 2024 with Flanno calling the shots.
I believe the Panther's deal to be smack on the money. So, if Saints want him they will have to offer more or a longer term. I would limit the bid to 900k for 3 to 4 years. However, this offer would be on the condition that it is for 2024 on and that Hunt must move on without any freight.

possm

Coach
It'd be amazing to sign Dearden, but the supposed rumour seems to be little more than a thought bubble from Dave Riccio, rather than based on any inside info or mail. I don't think he's the most credible source either. I wouldnt pin my hopes on it
From a Dragon's viewpoint, a Dearden for Hunt deal would be a great solution.

TheRev

First Grade
Yep I don't think fans appreciate the salaries have scaled up.. 1 million is nothing like it was back when we signed Ben Hunt.. and a marquee half is more crucial for us, given no Sully, no Amone, and the need to get Hunt out of the club asap. Through in I bet hes got some leadership potential.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
It's just very logical because he's young, we need a style of half like him, he's going to market and will easily be in a price range we can afford. I'd be offended by the Cows' offer if I were him too.

In regard to Curran, it's easier to sign players when your major sponsor is a wealthy business man with a lot of connections that personally gets players third party deals (which is illegal by the way). How Gus and Laundy got openly caught out for cheating the cap, with Laundy admitting to setting up third parties for a Tino deal, and the NRL just sweep it under the rug is baffling. Let's just pretend that didn't happen I guess...
Which begs the question, what is our wealthy-business-man-with-a-lot-of-connections owner doing to help? Anyway, in Dearden's case he's only young. If I were him I'd be thinking not only money, but whether the side is likely to play finals footy, and whether my representative chances are improved by whatever side I move to. In the absence of career prospects or a truckload of money, Flanno will have to do a lot of fancy talking to get him on board. It's possible, I just think it's unlikely.

SGMax

Juniors
I can't see how the Panthers could possibly have a spare $850K available to offer Luai.
If its real should be worth investigating.
Might be just doing him a favour with an opening bid to get him over the $1 mil mark.