What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gardenia

Bench
Here we go again.

The Roosters are being linked with Australian Rugby winger Mark Nawana...let's just say he's of Fijian origin.

The young guy has been described as a sort of cross between Israel Filau and Sualii- and therefore a possible full-back option. He played league as a junior and is194cms and 100 kgs. Brett Papworth gave him a strong rap today on Talkin Sport.

It may not happen but why aren't the Dragons at least making a play for these types of players- particularly as we lack pace in our outside backs. We could use Rava as a lure.
So the chooks have some very savvy and professional talent spotters. What do we have? Flanno cant be everywhere and do it all

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Agree some need nurturing , but others don't ....... I see it this way if your good enough they will make it and the exceptional ones need to be given a go early or they flounder around in lower grades losing interest , thinking they can do better than the guys in first grade that are getting flogged each week ....... What would of our mob have done with a player like Walsh from The Broncos , waited and waited until some other club picked him up ...... I say play them give them games here and there then we will know ...... The cream rises to the top ......
Just what we did to sulli

saintmar

Juniors
Yeah I wonder if we're looking outside the square. I would think we offer more opportunities of playing in the top grade than most for someone looking for a chance.
Right now we can't dig ourselves out of this hole,looking outside the square doesn't seem to be on our radar.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This just goes to show what a mess Hook and Hunt have made of this club. If there is anyone to blame for this poor recruitment it is them 2. One for 2.5 years of crap footy, the other being the captain throwing mud about the club to the media to scare them off. We all knew Flanno had his work cut out for him so why are we surprised.

Haran came from Melbourne and worked with Ponisi I think from memory so his credentials are quite strong. He did come from a good system. From what I heard he was doing 3 roles last season one being recruitment which has been past on to Millard. This year Haran will just concentrate on what he was hired to do. I am not defending the bloke but he has been thrown a pineapple. If you hear his interview on a pod earlier in the year he has been literally thrown in the deepend end looking to clean up a huge mess created by the BOD. This Lancaster guy seems to have done some pretty good changes in the background and having him a couple more years will help. Thank god they changed the rule where they replace this role every 12 months. I think he is more or less keeping Doust/Piggot and co. at arms length hence why the good decisions such as Flanno have come about. If it was up to them Flanno would not be coach which was made evident. If Flanno proves them wrong, maybe people will take note and ignore them more in future.

It looks like Flanno's first year will be to work with what he has and avoid the spoon again. Then hope to impress players from other clubs enough that our style of footy is one they want to play. Opposition teams like the Storm really were impressed with how Saints were playing at the end of the season and said we had a good future to look forward to. Carr, Flanno and Young will make a huge difference to our team performances.

I don't get why Saints letting go of juniors has so many people worried? How good were these players, considering none of the junior sides made finals? Looks like the lower grades needed as much change as the senior one so they are freeing space as there as so many junior rep players coming through. Flanno and Co. are keeping who they feel they need to. I am pretty sure they would not let these kids go if they were FG material? They are probably freeing up space to land some more juniors that will crack first grade rather than go for established first graders because no of the good ones are interested. That is probably the market they feel they have more chance of landing a big fish, in the junior ranks.

jak

Bench
This just goes to show what a mess Hook and Hunt have made of this club. If there is anyone to blame for this poor recruitment it is them 2. One for 2.5 years of crap footy, the other being the captain throwing mud about the club to the media to scare them off. We all knew Flanno had his work cut out for him so why are we surprised.

Haran came from Melbourne and worked with Ponisi I think from memory so his credentials are quite strong. He did come from a good system. From what I heard he was doing 3 roles last season one being recruitment which has been past on to Millard. This year Haran will just concentrate on what he was hired to do. I am not defending the bloke but he has been thrown a pineapple. If you hear his interview on a pod earlier in the year he has been literally thrown in the deepend end looking to clean up a huge mess created by the BOD. This Lancaster guy seems to have done some pretty good changes in the background and having him a couple more years will help. Thank god they changed the rule where they replace this role every 12 months. I think he is more or less keeping Doust/Piggot and co. at arms length hence why the good decisions such as Flanno have come about. If it was up to them Flanno would not be coach which was made evident. If Flanno proves them wrong, maybe people will take note and ignore them more in future.

It looks like Flanno's first year will be to work with what he has and avoid the spoon again. Then hope to impress players from other clubs enough that our style of footy is one they want to play. Opposition teams like the Storm really were impressed with how Saints were playing at the end of the season and said we had a good future to look forward to. Carr, Flanno and Young will make a huge difference to our team performances.

I don't get why Saints letting go of juniors has so many people worried? How good were these players, considering none of the junior sides made finals? Looks like the lower grades needed as much change as the senior one so they are freeing space as there as so many junior rep players coming through. Flanno and Co. are keeping who they feel they need to. I am pretty sure they would not let these kids go if they were FG material? They are probably freeing up space to land some more juniors that will crack first grade rather than go for established first graders because no of the good ones are interested. That is probably the market they feel they have more chance of landing a big fish, in the junior ranks.
very intelligent post slippery, you sure your a dragons supporter

since77

Juniors

Yes this all got a lot worse the second those flocking numbskulls resigned Griffin when it was already clear we were going backwards under him and we were becoming the retirement home for old forwards. There's a bit of angst being thrown at Flanno for not signing a big name for '24 but the reappointment of Griffin put us behind the 8 ball for 2024. The best we can hope for in 2024 is improved coaching and culture as well as hopefully NRL standard attacking and defensive structures. The blame for the lack of signings isn't Flanno's fault - it lies squarely on the board who mismanaged the last few years (not to mention the entire last decade) appallingly,

Dragon David

First Grade

Yes this all got a lot worse the second those flocking numbskulls resigned Griffin when it was already clear we were going backwards under him and we were becoming the retirement home for old forwards. There's a bit of angst being thrown at Flanno for not signing a big name for '24 but the reappointment of Griffin put us behind the 8 ball for 2024. The best we can hope for in 2024 is improved coaching and culture as well as hopefully NRL standard attacking and defensive structures. The blame for the lack of signings isn't Flanno's fault - it lies squarely on the board who mismanaged the last few years (not to mention the entire last decade) appallingly,
Agree fully with both Slippery's and Since77's posts. While the year is not done and dusted as yet, Flanno could still surprise us with some worthwhile signings for 24 and possibly a couple for 2025. He certainly isn't to blame for the lack of any decent signings as yet for several reasons notwithstanding the mess that Hook and Hunt have caused.

I reckon if Flanno can get those "interim" worthwhile signings (not the big guns as such because none really available but the types that can help and muscle their way around the field) and get the others fit as a fiddle (much fitter than in previous years) and get the players to play well within themselves and collectively as a team with better man management, direction and purpose and stronger wills to win attitudes, we might get a nice surprise.

The draw for the Dragons seems to be a good one with little travel time, only one 5 day turnaround and eight 6 days, five 7 days, three 9 days and two 8 days, they play 8 teams twice of which they need to win at least a game each against the Roosters, Penrith and the Sea Eagles and hopefully beat the others at least twice or once.

Let's go boys! You can do it!

justadragon

Bench

Hunt was allowed to do anything he pleased because Griffin allowed him to do that, Griffin allowed Hunt to be above the team and the club. I could only imagine the scene if Hunt went to Bennett, Robbo or Bellamy telling them, who to get as players, how to coach, and what position he is only willing to play, or at the very least bag the club out as club captain.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
So the chooks have some very savvy and professional talent spotters. What do we have? Flanno cant be everywhere and do it all
Couldn't agree more re Flanno and I didn't mention him for that reason. But Haran and Webb are part of the recruitment process as well. And unlike Flanno, they've been in their roles long enough to be "kicking goals" by now. I'd rather see them kicked out as part of the front office cleanout and someone proactive like a Shane Richardson brought in.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hunt was allowed to do anything he pleased because Griffin allowed him to do that, Griffin allowed Hunt to be above the team and the club. I could only imagine the scene if Hunt went to Bennett, Robbo or Bellamy telling them, who to get as players, how to coach, and what position he is only willing to play, or at the very least bag the club out as club captain.
Yes justa. Just imagine the reaction from those coaches. They would have firmly told him to you know what and more, taken away the captaincy and been put in place pronto.

Hunt and Hook had each others backs and when Hook was scratched from being part of the club in May 2023, Hunt was furious and of course during the SOO said he wanted out and virtually lampooned the club and his whinging went on for far too long because our weak kneed Board didn't have the guts to tell him off and give appropriate warnings. What was the difference of his slanging matches about the club and denigrating it down to dirt level compared to a player bringing the club into disrepute by doing a crime and then dismissed? I think he has done more damage to the reputation of the club than a young and immature AFB who the club sacked for his misdemeanour (albeit not a good one). But you can see my point though?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not only Griffin, but the whole bloody club Management let Hunt do whatever he wanted. As if Hunt would not have played a role to bring Hook into the club in the first place. As soon as Mary was sacked, I bet Hunt ran to the club and told not asked them but demanded they go for Hook as coach and the rest is history.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think he has done more damage to the reputation of the club than a young and immature AFB who the club sacked for his misdemeanour (albeit not a good one). But you can see my point though?
Really good point Dragon David. The damage Hunt has done going to the media and bagging the club management and culture even though it appears it was doing everything he wanted the previous 2 years is terrible. What AFB did was damaging himself as a person not the club yet copped more punishment from the club. It really sets a poor example as nobody should be able to bag the club publicly especially the captain and suffer no consequence.

justadragon

Bench
Article on WWOS that the Titans want to get rid of dead wood but Hasler is struggling to sign anyone worth signing. Please tell us something we dont know. Also uncle nick having a go at dragons players pulling the piss out of the chooks salary cap. Looks like the NRL introducing the Dolphins into the comp did many wonderful things for our game, namely quality player availability.

randomdragon

Juniors
Article on WWOS that the Titans want to get rid of dead wood but Hasler is struggling to sign anyone worth signing. Please tell us something we dont know. Also uncle nick having a go at dragons players pulling the piss out of the chooks salary cap. Looks like the NRL introducing the Dolphins into the comp did many wonderful things for our game, namely quality player availability.
Yes so pathways is more important now… as it should be

Dragon David

First Grade
What's gonna happen when the 18th team comes in? That new club will be given some leeway as to who they get insofar as quality is concerned to help make up their 30 man squad leaving diddly squat for clubs like us to get any decent ones. I tell you what there could be a lot of retirees maybe putting their hands up to come back and play.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Just off topic I looked up the progress of the Centre of Excellence and it appears the DA has not even been approved by Wollongong Council at this stage although it was submitted in October last year...looks like we'll be waiting for several more years before it is operational....was meant to be completed by the second half of 2024...oh well

justadragon

Bench
What's gonna happen when the 18th team comes in? That new club will be given some leeway as to who they get insofar as quality is concerned to help make up their 30 man squad leaving diddly squat for clubs like us to get any decent ones. I tell you what there could be a lot of retirees maybe putting their hands up to come back and play.
Too right Dave, we better make sure that whatever players we have are firmly locked away on contracts and that we keep a very good eye on our quality juniors because if that new team comes in it will be "name your price boys".

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Just off topic I looked up the progress of the Centre of Excellence and it appears the DA has not even been approved by Wollongong Council at this stage although it was submitted in October last year...looks like we'll be waiting for several more years before it is operational....was meant to be completed by the second half of 2024...oh well
Something about the original location encroaching on heritage listed WW2 buildings. I heard they're moving the location and its probably to do with finding an appropriate alternative

Latest posts