What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Something about the original location encroaching on heritage listed WW2 buildings. I heard they're moving the location and its probably to do with finding an appropriate alternative
Why is it that when this club looks at doing something there is generally some hurdle or setback or drama that delays, curtails or stops stuff happening? I think the ball started rolling to lodge the DA etc in December 2022 and I did see that there was a hurdle regarding the first choice location for the COE would encroach on some heritage WW2 buildings. It is a crying shame that another location has to now be selected and most probably the original DA plans amended to suit the new site. It just goes on and on and I can't see the COE being up and running for at least 3 more years the way things are going. I just shake my head again and again as the years roll by.

Dragon David

First Grade
It just amazes me that the Bulldogs keep hounding away in search for more players to sign up one being Terrell May. He looks likely to go to the Dogs so that is why they would want to get rid of Mariner. They are such a cut throat club but as they say, all's fair in love and war.

BULLDOGS LEAD RACE FOR ROOSTERS ENFORCER AMID CIRALDO LINKS

The Bulldogs are reportedly leading the race to sign Roosters forward Terrell May, who is close to Cameron Ciraldo form his time at the Panthers.

WWOS reported the Roosters are in danger of losing May, with the Panthers junior in the sights of Ciraldo and the Bulldogs.

May was mentored by Ciraldo, who is a friend of the family early in his career before signing with the Roosters.

The 24-year-old prop has scored one try in 26 games for the Roosters since his debut in 2022, including 17 games last season.

May comes off-contract at the end of 2024, which means clubs have been free to negotiate with him for 2025 and beyond from November 1.
The Roosters are keen to keep May, but will struggled to match the money on offer from NRL rivals, after signing Panthers premiership winner Spencer Leniu on a big money deal.

lemnoc

Juniors
Why is it that when this club looks at doing something there is generally some hurdle or setback or drama that delays, curtails or stops stuff happening? I think the ball started rolling to lodge the DA etc in December 2022 and I did see that there was a hurdle regarding the first choice location for the COE would encroach on some heritage WW2 buildings. It is a crying shame that another location has to now be selected and most probably the original DA plans amended to suit the new site. It just goes on and on and I can't see the COE being up and running for at least 3 more years the way things are going. I just shake my head again and again as the years roll by.

Let's find somewhere in the St George area. It is looking pretty clear that Wollongong doesn't really want the Dragons anyway.

Dragon David

First Grade
Let's find somewhere in the St George area. It is looking pretty clear that Wollongong doesn't really want the Dragons anyway.
I think there is a special reason why they want it down south and near to the University. Better for the community. There should be plenty of open land around the University I'm thinking for the complex but I hope that they don't leave out anything for the new site that they had planned for on the original site.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
:100: Flanno has his finger on the pulse by promoting both Sione Finau and Sevelio Tamale. Next season or one after it will be the new three amigos, Jacob Halangahu, Finau Latu and Loko Jr.
Trouble is we've been here before. Three amigos? Been there, done that, epic fail. Next season or one after? It's always next season, never the one we're about to play. I refuse to be optimistic. Next season will be shit, so will the one after that, and probably the one after that. Good juniors will leave for greener pastures. Dud players will come for one last big payout in their career. The Gordon's will use the club as a tax minimisation scheme. And the Centre of Excellence will sink into the mud.

Dragon David

First Grade
Where are some of these players that were close to Flanagan from his time at the Sharks DD? Cooling down period is over and we have locked in a paltry two players. Compare this to the Dogs that seem to have a bottomless salary cap.
I'm not too sure what the go with signings is at the moment? This is a rumours thread and there has only been a few players named to maybe even get a contract with us. You would think that there would be a number signed for 2025 at least and maybe a couple for 2024, but not a word or hint from any sources. Flanno has mentioned names a few weeks back so maybe there still is a chance of officially naming a few soon? If not, then no one wants to come which would make us look like we have leprosy or something worse.

It just amazes me that the Bulldogs make it look so easy to sign up players - a lot of quantity moreso than quality but still at least 5 times more than what we have got so far.

Dragon David

First Grade
Trouble is we've been here before. Three amigos? Been there, done that, epic fail. Next season or one after? It's always next season, never the one we're about to play. I refuse to be optimistic. Next season will be shit, so will the one after that, and probably the one after that. Good juniors will leave for greener pastures. Dud players will come for one last big payout in their career. The Gordon's will use the club as a tax minimisation scheme. And the Centre of Excellence will sink into the mud.
This is the picture that we can all see Johnno. We should be so used to it because of all of the same year after year of just a wishin' and hopin'.

TheRev

Coach
Trouble is we've been here before. Three amigos? Been there, done that, epic fail. Next season or one after? It's always next season, never the one we're about to play.
^ It's this, it never works... I keep repeating the juniors are important longterm.. but they cant save the club on their own.. you dont flick a switch and they go from being promising kids to hardened first graders.. .. they take years of work and most of them still won't make it... and more importantly they need a winning culture to push into, which is also incentive for them to be patient, get skills.. and bide their time... think of how good the talent waiting in the Panthers or Broncos system is? They have to really earn that jersey.. many will never get a shot.

It's exactly what the Dogs are trying to set up.. and they already have their junior grades firing at all levels & about 375 more 1st grade recruits than us despite our best efforts.. we have a really long process in front of us.

possm

Coach
Not only Griffin, but the whole bloody club Management let Hunt do whatever he wanted. As if Hunt would not have played a role to bring Hook into the club in the first place. As soon as Mary was sacked, I bet Hunt ran to the club and told not asked them but demanded they go for Hook as coach and the rest is history.
Doust, Craig Young, Haran, Webb and other Board members steered our club into the state it is in.

possm

Coach
Those three are contracted till '26 with assurances they will soon be promoted to the Top 30. Juniors are our future, we have to have faith in them and those calling the shots.
We need to establish a balance between youth and first-grade experience. Our spine needs attention and if were coach, I would shift Hunt to hooker, Lomax to fullback, K Flannagan to 7 and, Ns Lui to 6. Tracey to left center and AFB to front row.

1. Lomax
2. Junior winger
3. Suli
4. Tracey
5. Ravalawa

6. Lui
7. Flannagan

8. AFB
9. Hunt
10. F Molo
11. Couchman
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

Gardenia

Bench
Couldn't agree more re Flanno and I didn't mention him for that reason. But Haran and Webb are part of the recruitment process as well. And unlike Flanno, they've been in their roles long enough to be "kicking goals" by now. I'd rather see them kicked out as part of the front office cleanout and someone proactive like a Shane Richardson brought in.
Couldn’t agree more Re Haran and Webb

Crush

Coach
Quality rant JMJ, enjoyable read.
I’m sticking with blind optimism, convincing myself that everything has changed with the introduction of a capable coach.
I’m still faithfully waiting for a couple of good signings, any day now! Lol

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Quality rant JMJ, enjoyable read.
I’m sticking with blind optimism, convincing myself that everything has changed with the introduction of a capable coach.
I’m still faithfully waiting for a couple of good signings, any day now! Lol
Cheers Crush. Glad I got it off my chest, always makes me feel better. On the positive side, two of our players managed to annoy the crap out of Nick Politis. It's not all bad news.