What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Unfortunately all I am seeing with this market activity is we are not an attractive option for stars or journeymen alike.
Flanno has clearly found it way harder than anticipated to attract players to his rebuild vision.
Looks like it’s rely on the juniors… until the quality clubs poach them….
You know what- I don't mind that
Imagine supporting a team in 2025/6 built on home grown talent like the Riff (With a couple of recruits).
It's so much better than barracking for a team of $$ motivated journeymen wearing the colours you love

possm

Coach
I wonder how serious this Bird injury is.. as much as I want to move on from him at the club..... until we can source a replacement (which is unlikely for 2024), he is a key part of our 17... either as a 2nd rower, lock, bench utility/forward.. emergency centre.. very versatile and experienced.. and really needed a healthy offseason to get fit again.
I think achieving match fitness will be a big problem for Bired. In my opinion, he should retire medically unfit as soon as possible to give the Dragons the chance to find a replacement before the season's start. His salary cap is around 550 and so, this would be very handy in a bid to secure a replacement edge forward.

TheRev

First Grade
I think achieving match fitness will be a big problem for Bired. In my opinion, he should retire medically unfit as soon as possible to give the Dragons the chance to find a replacement before the season's start. His salary cap is around 550 and so, this would be very handy in a bid to secure a replacement edge forward.
I agree, and I hope they can do a frank assessment on him.. but Bird is a stubborn fella.. I dont see him agreeing to a medical retirement if there is any chance he could play on..

I also dont know where we will find replacement players at this stage.. but that might rectify itself 'during' 2024 if we find disgruntled 2nd rowers.. but thats a hail mary play.

Dea

Juniors
Looking forward to 2025, but the signings for then start now and we haven’t got anyone. Gee it is hard being a Dragons supporter at the moment. We are in such a deep hole and I think the players currently in the squad are going to have to be the ones to get us out of it. Doing my best to trust Flanno

BLM01

First Grade
Bird is too slow to play Centre and is a liability in defence.

He has a chance of playing Centre if Lomax is selected at Fullback if the coach doesn’t feel that our young rugby convert is ready for first grade.

He will stifle the attack if chosen at five eight. Better to give Flanno junior the chance to prove himself.

If I were selecting the side I would struggle to pick him in the 17.
I think Bird would be a perfect utility playing some but not a heap of minutes as indicated on the podcast

Dragon David

First Grade
Billy Burns released to join Cronulla.
Connor Tracey granted an early release from Cronulla.
What's this? We can't get an early release for Connor Tracey who at some stage we wanted to happen and the Sharks said piss off but we release Billy Burns to them. I know that they wanted a trade for a "like" player. Isn't Billy a "like" player? Hahaha. Only kidding.

At least we have one less player on the out list and not getting Tracey could be a blessing in disguise.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
And Cronulla wanted a player in return. Would you really want one of our promising juniors to go to the Sharks for Tracey, a stop gap?

Sharks are very clever. They released Lachie Miller to Newcastle last year in return for one of the most promising junior props in the country in Max Bradbury. Miller is now in the ESL and the Sharks have a real goer. Easy to see who won that exchange.

Dragons supporters would be in raptures if that happened to us. I believe we wanted Tracey, but when we heard the price to get him for 24' we lost interest.

Bulldogs didn't, they turfed one of there own for a player that hadn't nailed down any one position and are $500k worse off.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
We’ll need to recruit a (1,6,7) from England.

I'm hoping we explore the English system, they've had a few good younger players move into the nrl system. We could even make it easier for them by targetting a group of english players for our team. Imo transfer fees are an issue but I'm hoping we're more comfortable paying it under Flanno. An added bonus is they don't miss any nrl games during origin time.

Latest posts