What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think the way things are going we better seriously consider what juniors especially forwards will be up to the mark. I'm expecting Tuitavake and Fafita, Coric and a couple of others to really take that step this year. We have the Couchmans, so if Flanno can do a bit of magic we may have a decent young pack. Still got JDB and Su'a Lawrie stepped up last season, the Molo's. It has the makings of being something decent.
Totally agree @justadragon. Flanno had the Sharks forward pack functioning better than any other team during the Sharks days as they won more games because of that their defence than anything anything else. They beat the Storm in a GF for crying out loud with Cam Smith/Cronk/Munster running the show and a quality backrower in Tohu Harris (gun player) which says something.

He must see something under the bonnet when he got the Saints gig for him not to go crazy in recruitment. With so many off contract next season, these guys will be pushing to get signed up and Flanno will then get a good idea of what the juniors can bring for 2025. Hopefully 2024 will be a solid season where Flanno re-builds his reputation and players are interested in joining. Don't forget he was banned for the peptides so some players may not be willing to give him a crack like some Saints fans who are bagging Flanno and the guys has not even started a season yet.

I have more faith in Flanno than I would with Benji, Cirraldo, Fitzy, O'Brien and these other rookie coaches still learning their trade.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If the Cows are serious about releasing Taumalolo and it has gone that quiet about him, maybe he is the big fish Saints will get and they are keeping it on the quiet for now? That is a bargain if they can get him for 800k. Now I am really dreaming.

On his day I think he can be better than any prop on the planet. Flanno can turn this guy into a freaking wrecking ball with a top offload.

qld redvee

Juniors
If the Cows are serious about releasing Taumalolo and it has gone that quiet about him, maybe he is the big fish Saints will get and they are keeping it on the quiet for now? That is a bargain if they can get him for 800k. Now I am really dreaming.

On his day I think he can be better than any prop on the planet. Flanno can turn this guy into a freaking wrecking ball with a top offload.
I think the problem is a 4 year deal will he get through it ???

TheRev

Coach
Its a tricky one.. if the dogs take Taumalolo , then suddenly our offers to Dearden and Luki probably arent enough.. I hate that our future is in Guses hands.. and we know Gus is chasing a middle... if he works out he cant get AFB he might up his interest in Taumalolo.

I wonder if we would be interested in Taumalolo? I understand hes not the 1st choice... I mean hes not AFB status but he would be by far the best prop at our club..

The Word

Juniors
Clubs tend to offload players they don't want any more, don't think Taumalolo fits into that bracket despite his pay. Can't really see Cowboys agreeing to tip in $200k per year for the next 4 years. More likely they're stuck with each other.

Even if we got him for $800k, he'll be nearly 31 by the time the season starts and nearly 35 by the time his contract ends, that's a lot of money for a player of that age who has had some injury issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as well, but if we're going to spend that type of coin I'd rather we spend it on younger players who Flanagan reckons could become successful.

BTW he's more of a lock than a prop.

Victoire

Juniors
Taumalolo played prop at the back end of 2023 because he'd returned from a knee injury and Payten was managing his minutes. He's at his best playing lock - yes it's similar since it's also a "middle" but it also means more game time and more touches of the ball. In 2022 he was fully fit and at his destructive best in that role - hence the Cowboys finished 2nd and reached a prelim. I think if he's less than 100% fitness and playing prop only, he's still pretty good -but not the great he can be.

justadragon

Bench
Totally agree @justadragon. Flanno had the Sharks forward pack functioning better than any other team during the Sharks days as they won more games because of that their defence than anything anything else. They beat the Storm in a GF for crying out loud with Cam Smith/Cronk/Munster running the show and a quality backrower in Tohu Harris (gun player) which says something.

He must see something under the bonnet when he got the Saints gig for him not to go crazy in recruitment. With so many off contract next season, these guys will be pushing to get signed up and Flanno will then get a good idea of what the juniors can bring for 2025. Hopefully 2024 will be a solid season where Flanno re-builds his reputation and players are interested in joining. Don't forget he was banned for the peptides so some players may not be willing to give him a crack like some Saints fans who are bagging Flanno and the guys has not even started a season yet.

I have more faith in Flanno than I would with Benji, Cirraldo, Fitzy, O'Brien and these other rookie coaches still learning their trade.
100% Slippery, look Flanno wasnt my first choice as well, I wasnt really impressed with what he had done when he was AC and R+R, but I dont know what sort of harnesses he had on him at that time. So ever since he became HC and prior, to me he has said all the right things and sounds very much like he knows what he is talking about. On that basis and also some reports back from the players who are at preseason training, I'm prepared to give him every chance to succeed and prove the haters wrong.

Illusion

Bench
100% Slippery, look Flanno wasnt my first choice as well, I wasnt really impressed with what he had done when he was AC and R+R, but I dont know what sort of harnesses he had on him at that time. So ever since he became HC and prior, to me he has said all the right things and sounds very much like he knows what he is talking about. On that basis and also some reports back from the players who are at preseason training, I'm prepared to give him every chance to succeed and prove the haters wrong.
Mate we have no choice now , so I for one don't care how he gets us back on track or what he does to get us there , because waiting another 10 years is too long for me to wait .........

TheRev

Coach
Clubs tend to offload players they don't want any more, don't think Taumalolo fits into that bracket despite his pay. Can't really see Cowboys agreeing to tip in $200k per year for the next 4 years. More likely they're stuck with each other.
True, but "letting a player go prematurely" is a real spectrum of situations... sometimes its cause of injury or attitude (perhaps Sullivan is in both those baskets) or mental health (such as angus chrighton).. but the cowboys are different, they are blessed to have a bunch of emerging stars.. I think its 4 second rowers.. dearden etc.. and something has to give.. so they can give up 2 emerging stars.... or they can give up 1 overpaid and ageing forward like Taumanalo (who's on $1mil per year).

It's an easy choice imo.. but how much would the Cowboys chip in? How hard will Gus drive the deal.. we are in a real hole if we lose our leverage over Dearden & Luki.. it would be right back to the drawing board.

Parko1310

Juniors
We've been linked to Luki but another one to keep an eye on is

He's on a development contract at the moment, ending in 2024. I would be happy to get him if he has another solid start to the season. He was great for the cowboys off the bench. Either him or Luki from the cowboys would be great but Luki is contracted until 2025.
Luki not contracted until 2025. 2025 is a player option, he's off contract now.

Dragon David

First Grade
Read that BJ Leilua has come back from overseas to the Illawarra area and has signed a 2024 deal at the Dapto Canaries.

He is a fiery guy and would be out suspended more than being on the field. But good luck to him.

Illusion

Bench
Read that BJ Leilua has come back from overseas to the Illawarra area and has signed a 2024 deal at the Dapto Canaries.

He is a fiery guy and would be out suspended more than being on the field. But good luck to him.
Just a question about this because he is playing in the Illawarra comp , not saying I would but can he be called up to play first grade ...... Not sure how all this works now it's changed from the days when I was playing ?

Dragon David

First Grade
Just a question about this because he is playing in the Illawarra comp , not saying I would but can he be called up to play first grade ...... Not sure how all this works now it's changed from the days when I was playing ?
There is this article below Illusion that might help you with your question.

Illusion

Bench
There is this article below Illusion that might help you with your question.

Thanks so by the looks of it can be called up ...... Interesting 🤔 .......

RedVee_8

Juniors
Hopefully the Young connection can get any of the Cowboys players across to Saints. They seemed to have loved being coached by him during his time there especially the young guys.

If Saints can land Taumalolo wow, that to me would be a dream. I love how this guy plays. 1 of my favourite forwards. I can only dream Saints can land him.

I really cannot see Dearden leaving the club or the Cows letting him go. Townsend is on his last legs and will retire soon. They cannot afford to have both their halves gone in 2025. I feel Dearden is testing his value and the Cows will come back and either match it or get close and he stays. I am waiting for the headline any day now that Dearden re-signs with the Cows. As per Auntie.Gerald, the Panthers may throw their hat in if Luai goes for Dearden. That will surely be Dearden's biggest temptation if he was to leave.
Especially if Cowboys contribute to his salary

Latest posts