What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

SEAT 1A

Bench
Read that BJ Leilua has come back from overseas to the Illawarra area and has signed a 2024 deal at the Dapto Canaries.

He is a fiery guy and would be out suspended more than being on the field. But good luck to him.

Hopefully, he's still got something to offer to Dapto and yes, good luck to him.

Can't see him anywhere near a Dragons jumper.

kit66

Bench
Clubs tend to offload players they don't want any more, don't think Taumalolo fits into that bracket despite his pay. Can't really see Cowboys agreeing to tip in $200k per year for the next 4 years. More likely they're stuck with each other.

Even if we got him for $800k, he'll be nearly 31 by the time the season starts and nearly 35 by the time his contract ends, that's a lot of money for a player of that age who has had some injury issues.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as well, but if we're going to spend that type of coin I'd rather we spend it on younger players who Flanagan reckons could become successful.

BTW he's more of a lock than a prop.

We are desperate but we have to be sensible and we have to build for the future. If we want to win some games next year while we chase some good signings for 2025 it would be better to sign some dependable but cheaper players to keep us competitive on the field and financially in the recruitment sphere. Spending all our money on a player like Taumalolo is unwise, he's obviously still a weapon but we could get 2 or 3 forwards for 2024 for the same money.
What we lacked this year was any real go forward, having not a single forward who could bend the line consistently and get quick play the balls to get us rolling up field. If we can't get Luki or AFB for 2024 it wouldn't hurt to sign up characters like Klemmer, RFM or the like for next year (I'd even offer Klemmer a 2 year deal, he's only 29 and a real presence on the field). These guys bend the line, they defend well and someone like Klemmer would be a great mentor for the Couchmen bros. It's obvious we need more than the addition of Eisenhuth and Sele. We currently have just 3 experienced props in the Molos and Lawrie, that won't do will it.

getsmarty

Immortal
We are desperate but we have to be sensible and we have to build for the future. If we want to win some games next year while we chase some good signings for 2025 it would be better to sign some dependable but cheaper players to keep us competitive on the field and financially in the recruitment sphere. Spending all our money on a player like Taumalolo is unwise, he's obviously still a weapon but we could get 2 or 3 forwards for 2024 for the same money.
What we lacked this year was any real go forward, having not a single forward who could bend the line consistently and get quick play the balls to get us rolling up field. If we can't get Luki or AFB for 2024 it wouldn't hurt to sign up characters like Klemmer, RFM or the like for next year (I'd even offer Klemmer a 2 year deal, he's only 29 and a real presence on the field). These guys bend the line, they defend well and someone like Klemmer would be a great mentor for the Couchmen bros. It's obvious we need more than the addition of Eisenhuth and Sele. We currently have just 3 experienced props in the Molos and Lawrie, that won't do will it.

Players just not available for 24 unless for multiple year contracts...

Clubs are generally working many years ahead....

We have been offered players, but knocked them back for this reason.

Plenty of players off contract at the end of next year....and targets also available.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Players just not available for 24 unless for multiple year contracts...

Clubs are generally working many years ahead....

We have been offered players, but knocked them back for this reason.

Plenty of players off contract at the end of next year....and targets also available.

Exactly @getsmarty. Most of the unwanted are seeking multi-year contracts, Tracey being a prime example. Imagine if we had done what our last 2 regimes had done and willy-nilly signed up these players. Simple answer is that we wouldn't be in a position to even begin talking with the likes of AFB, Deardon and others.

Yep, ther's no guarantee we'll even land them, put the point that we have te space and the $$ to do so, speaks highly of our resolve to not sign the "journeymen" that previously polluted our ranks.

Some scoff at the signing of Eisenhuth, and on paper not a signing to warm the heart, however, it's a 1yr deal, he's been told he may see less than 10 games in First Grade and his job is to help our young guys coming through KOE Cup. His experience coming from the Storm will be vital in educating these guys.

Half our current squad is off-contract in '24, and no-one is falling over themselves to "get in early" on these players. So, some will need a big year, whether they are re-signed or simply released.

I'll make a comment on Bird at this point. Agree with most thinking that he hasn't delivered, however, in saying that, he hasn't been fit, and neither have all our players. Bird knows what Flanno wants and expects. He knows the new fitness staff aren't going to 'go easy' on any player, Bird included (his knee niggle is, imo, a direct result of this) If Bird wants to play centre, then he knows the level required, he knows if he doesn't, he'll get turfed. So, I reserve judgement on him and all players until we can see improvement in fitness and strength.

FFS - Faster, Fitter, Stronger.

getsmarty

Immortal
Exactly @getsmarty. Most of the unwanted are seeking multi-year contracts, Tracey being a prime example. Imagine if we had done what our last 2 regimes had done and willy-nilly signed up these players. Simple answer is that we wouldn't be in a position to even begin talking with the likes of AFB, Deardon and others.

Yep, ther's no guarantee we'll even land them, put the point that we have te space and the $$ to do so, speaks highly of our resolve to not sign the "journeymen" that previously polluted our ranks.

Some scoff at the signing of Eisenhuth, and on paper not a signing to warm the heart, however, it's a 1yr deal, he's been told he may see less than 10 games in First Grade and his job is to help our young guys coming through KOE Cup. His experience coming from the Storm will be vital in educating these guys.

Half our current squad is off-contract in '24, and no-one is falling over themselves to "get in early" on these players. So, some will need a big year, whether they are re-signed or simply released.

I'll make a comment on Bird at this point. Agree with most thinking that he hasn't delivered, however, in saying that, he hasn't been fit, and neither have all our players. Bird knows what Flanno wants and expects. He knows the new fitness staff aren't going to 'go easy' on any player, Bird included (his knee niggle is, imo, a direct result of this) If Bird wants to play centre, then he knows the level required, he knows if he doesn't, he'll get turfed. So, I reserve judgement on him and all players until we can see improvement in fitness and strength.

FFS - Faster, Fitter, Stronger.
Well said @Dragonslayer

getsmarty

Immortal
Mate nothing surprises me with our lot , we had Beale come out of retirement to play .....

I mean this respectfully...but why do it to yourself ?

If all we ever want to do is put a negative spin on everything, why bother.

Yes I understand that the last 10 years have given many of us little reason to be optimistic, but behind the scenes Flanno is doing a good job....

Lets just give Flanno a go....

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yes quite a lot of the Super League guys that have come and gone were not much chop BLM01. One that the Roosters signed up in 2019-2020 played 11 games and scored zero tries. His name is Ryan Hall. Remember him? 1.84 metres tall (6 feet) and 105kg. Had plenty of wraps but useless in the NRL.
Can't forget him trying to break Lomax's leg. Grub.
Joe Burgess as well, anyone?

Illusion

Bench
I mean this respectfully...but why do it to yourself ?

If all we ever want to do is put a negative spin on everything, why bother.

Yes I understand that the last 10 years have given many of us little reason to be optimistic, but behind the scenes Flanno is doing a good job....

Lets just give Flanno a go....
Not negative at all mate I for one wanted Flanno than the rest of them , but don't be surprised if he gets a start at sometime ...... And I think we have all been more than patient ....... This is our last throw of the dice if we don't improve the next couple of years it will do me .......

getsmarty

Immortal
Not negative at all mate I for one wanted Flanno than the rest of them , but don't be surprised if he gets a start at sometime ...... And I think we have all been more than patient ....... This is our last throw of the dice if we don't improve the next couple of years it will do me .......

Agree 100%...re last throw of the dice...I feel the same way.

Until then, let's just wait and see.

cheers.

The Word

Juniors
True, but "letting a player go prematurely" is a real spectrum of situations... sometimes its cause of injury or attitude (perhaps Sullivan is in both those baskets) or mental health (such as angus chrighton).. but the cowboys are different, they are blessed to have a bunch of emerging stars.. I think its 4 second rowers.. dearden etc.. and something has to give.. so they can give up 2 emerging stars.... or they can give up 1 overpaid and ageing forward like Taumanalo (who's on $1mil per year).

It's an easy choice imo.. but how much would the Cowboys chip in? How hard will Gus drive the deal.. we are in a real hole if we lose our leverage over Dearden & Luki.. it would be right back to the drawing board.
True but can't see him leaving the cowboys.

If I'm Jason Taumalolo, I've lived in N QLD since I was 12, friends and family there, getting paid $1M per year, why would I want to move to the other side of the country, to also earn $1M per year, and possibly play for a sh.t team. After all, they can't force him to move.

Let's face it, the only way I'm moving is if Storm, Panthers, and maybe Roosters come in for me, but that's highly unlikely for that kind of money.

Or possibly Warriors.