What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

getsmarty

Immortal

Rival NRL club tables huge four-year contract to lure wantaway Fonua-Blake - report​

Wests Tigers have reportedly tabled a formal offer to sign wantaway forward Addin Fonua-Blake, as the first NRL rival to attempt to sign the NZ Warriors' key man.
Fonua-Blake, 28, has requested a release from the final two years of his contract with the Warriors on compassionate grounds, in order to return to Sydney.
Newshub understands Fonua-Blake and his management met with the Tigers at the end of November. The Daily Telegraph reports Wests will offer the Dally M medal winning prop a four-year contract, worth $1 million per season.
Fonua-Blake has agreed to play out the 2024 season with Andrew Webster's side but what happens after that is still unknown.

The Warriors are understood to have set conditions to see Fonua-Blake released after next season, namely allowing him to only return to a Sydney-based club while also wanting a player in exchange from his new team.
Should the Tigers be the club to lure Fonua-Blake away from Mt Smart, former Warrior Isaiah Papali'I has been linked with a return to Auckland after his first season with Wests in 2023.

Fonua-Blake was also pictured meeting with Canterbury Bulldogs, while St George Illawarra Dragons have made no secret of their interest.
In terms of players to exchange, the Warriors have reportedly drawn up a four-man shortlist of players they would want in return for Fonua-Blake.
New South Wales and Samoa prop Stefano Utoikamanu is another Tigers forward who has reportedly caught the Warriors' eye, while the pair of Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs) and Jaydn Su'a (Dragons) are understood to be targets as well.

Cronulla Sharks are another club that appear to have entered the race for Fonua-Blake, after clearing close to $1 million from their salary cap in recent weeks, with the departures of Connor Tracey and Matt Moylan.
Fonua-Blake is already understood to be the highest paid prop in the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph also reports Fonua-Blake will tour all four prospective clubs in the coming weeks, before any decision over his future is made.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hey c'mon now this is a footy forum, enough of this touchy feely stuff :) nah in all seriousness well done guys, even though it was a misunderstanding its never too late to apologise. Lets hope all our members can put their differences aside after a very tough year and focus on 2024. Good on yah passionate dragons fans have a great xmas !!!

Well said @justadragon . Best Wishes to you and all your family for a safe Christmas and new Year.

thebigredv

First Grade
At the time, Nofoaluma described the six-game stint as “one of the best things of my career”.
This one line gets me the most from this article.

I appreciate the Storm are a professional club (with a history of cap cheating that we will never forget) and Nofoaluma is just being honest, but it grinds my gears a bit in the same way fellas like Hunt, Suli have belittled their own team as did Api Korisau and Papali upon joining their new club. You can lump the Tigers and Dragons players together as having a very dim view of their own team and prospects and makes for a losing culture. Yes, Nofoluma has been one of the better performers but its up to that entire squad to unite and lift their performances and get the results on the field.

How can you expect to be part of a successful team when you are constantly looking over the fence wishing for greener pastures or idolising the opposition? Here's a player being asked to lift and he is seemingly taking the easy option. Wouldn't happen under Bellamy because of the player's respect and buy in but when the players start doubting the coaching staff it all falls to ruins from there.

maestro1

Bench
Connor Tracey is out till at least Rd 5 next
And exactly what I was alluding to in my comments...Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

season. Looks like Saints dodged a bullet.

Yep agree. Just seems at the Tigers he is comfortable being comfortable as would of been highlighted under Maguire. Couple a years ago he was killing it including playing pretty good under Bellamy and would of taken him in a heartbeat. Of course he killed the Dragons each time we played them, so hard to tackle. Not so sure now...if Flanno could unlock that form and effort.
I like his kick returns and dummy half runs after kicks. Awesome finisher. Has always given us trouble

Hi Get Smarty

I apologize for my harsh words

Thankyou for your apology - I can see now it was general comment.

I think the person who quoted your post was the antagonist in this instance and ive taken the bait. I would have liked it if you stuck up for me there as I felt intimidated.

still no excuse to take it all out on you.

Merry Christmas and hopefully there are better times ahead for the Dragons as I cannot take much more pain

Kind Regards
Gardenia
Damn it, I missed all this and the opportunity to try and turn you to the dark side

Gardenia

Juniors
Hi @Gardenia ,

I appreciate your generous words. I only knew there was an issue when I noticed the alerts under my profile.

We are not always going to agree on everything, but don't let anyone bring you down.

We all want the same thing, for our club to be successful again.

Best wishes to you and all your family for a safe Christmas and holiday period and I would also like to extend the same wishes to everyone on here.

Stay safe and look after yourself,

Smarty
All good buddy . Lets move on .

TheRev

First Grade

Rival NRL club tables huge four-year contract to lure wantaway Fonua-Blake - report​

Wests Tigers have reportedly tabled a formal offer to sign wantaway forward Addin Fonua-Blake, as the first NRL rival to attempt to sign the NZ Warriors' key man.
Fonua-Blake, 28, has requested a release from the final two years of his contract with the Warriors on compassionate grounds, in order to return to Sydney.
Newshub understands Fonua-Blake and his management met with the Tigers at the end of November. The Daily Telegraph reports Wests will offer the Dally M medal winning prop a four-year contract, worth $1 million per season.
Fonua-Blake has agreed to play out the 2024 season with Andrew Webster's side but what happens after that is still unknown.

The Warriors are understood to have set conditions to see Fonua-Blake released after next season, namely allowing him to only return to a Sydney-based club while also wanting a player in exchange from his new team.
Should the Tigers be the club to lure Fonua-Blake away from Mt Smart, former Warrior Isaiah Papali'I has been linked with a return to Auckland after his first season with Wests in 2023.

Fonua-Blake was also pictured meeting with Canterbury Bulldogs, while St George Illawarra Dragons have made no secret of their interest.
In terms of players to exchange, the Warriors have reportedly drawn up a four-man shortlist of players they would want in return for Fonua-Blake.
New South Wales and Samoa prop Stefano Utoikamanu is another Tigers forward who has reportedly caught the Warriors' eye, while the pair of Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs) and Jaydn Su'a (Dragons) are understood to be targets as well.

Cronulla Sharks are another club that appear to have entered the race for Fonua-Blake, after clearing close to $1 million from their salary cap in recent weeks, with the departures of Connor Tracey and Matt Moylan.
Fonua-Blake is already understood to be the highest paid prop in the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph also reports Fonua-Blake will tour all four prospective clubs in the coming weeks, before any decision over his future is made.

iirc all clubs had that initial lunch/dinner, but we hadn't booked in the 'tour of the facilities' with AFB yet.. hopefully thats still coming.. seems to happen on weekends away from training.

If the Tigers have put their formal offer forward already.. I wonder if its put up the $ or shut up time? I'm expecting the Sharks to have an offer on the table also.

Gardenia

Juniors
iirc all clubs had that initial lunch/dinner, but we hadn't booked in the 'tour of the facilities' with AFB yet.. hopefully thats still coming.. seems to happen on weekends away from training.

If the Tigers have put their formal offer forward already.. I wonder if its put up the $ or shut up time? I'm expecting the Sharks to have an offer on the table also.
Thinking this might not be finalised (AFB's destination) until after christmas. I would love to hear some positive news on Dearden or Luki as a christmas present.

TruSaint

Referee
Just my view, I am not expecting any "big" signings for this season coming and can understand why. Until we become a destination choice, we have have to make do with a few fringe signings, some new talent and our junior base. To be fair, Im okay with this. Flanno knows what he signed on for.

Paying overs for the likes of some of our big names has set us back. Hunt, doesn't want to be here. We saw what Norman brought.

I think 24 is where we compete enough and show potentially interested players that maybe Saints are heading in the right direction.

Flanno is doing his best by all reports to talk us up, but Im sure he knows we have limited pull as it stands. I'll back him to make us a tough competitive side fighting for the bottom 8 spots, and if we fall short, then so be it. 2025 is where we can make an impact, by then he will know who the deadwood is, and mould the team to his psyche.

possm

Coach
Just my view, I am not expecting any "big" signings for this season coming and can understand why. Until we become a destination choice, we have have to make do with a few fringe signings, some new talent and our junior base. To be fair, Im okay with this. Flanno knows what he signed on for.

Paying overs for the likes of some of our big names has set us back. Hunt, doesn't want to be here. We saw what Norman brought.

I think 24 is where we compete enough and show potentially interested players that maybe Saints are heading in the right direction.

Flanno is doing his best by all reports to talk us up, but Im sure he knows we have limited pull as it stands. I'll back him to make us a tough competitive side fighting for the bottom 8 spots, and if we fall short, then so be it. 2025 is where we can make an impact, by then he will know who the deadwood is, and mould the team to his psyche.
I sleep much easier when I have positive thoughts about our "Dragons.
1. I believe we will sign AFB
2. I believe we will sign Dearden
3. I feel confident we will sign a Kiwi RU player for our second row.
4. I hope we sign a fullback so we can keep Lomax at center.

possm

Coach

I'm tipping AFB will sign a 4yr deal at 1.1m with the Dragons and F Molo will be our swap player.

TruSaint

Referee
I sleep much easier when I have positive thoughts about our "Dragons.
1. I believe we will sign AFB
2. I believe we will sign Dearden
3. I feel confident we will sign a Kiwi RU player for our second row.
4. I hope we sign a fullback so we can keep Lomax at center.

Just for the record, I wasn't being negative. Just giving the new gaffer time. Hope your predictions come true by the way.

justadragon

Bench

Totally agree TruSaint, I think next year it will be, "do you want to play here" "do you want to stay here" if so then step it up or pack your bags.