What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

In rugby league it’s easy to sell positivity. There’s always next week in footy and when there isn’t anymore, there’s always ‘next season’. The club will just keep playing off this notion for as long as we are willing to swallow it.

I actually think I saw an article where Tom Eisenhuth was feeling upbeat and impressed by the club. That kind of thing is trash. Don’t treat the supporters like they are nimwits. First get Tom to make a name for himself in the game and then we might care about his opinion on the worst run club in the game! Harsh but fair, yes?

It’s so easy to bag this club at the moment and sure I will call a spade a spade but it’s not my intention to just criticise. In 2016 I begged for the sacking of Mary and it never came until the club was in a state of disrepair. From then I’ve had zero belief on confidence that we were a serious club.

I actually don’t have any solution that doesn’t involve wiping the board and as a fan I don’t know how to bring that about. Just frustrated and tired and feeling powerless like everyone else. It upsets me to see so many intelligent posters buying in or just talking up our chances purely because we exist in the comp. As someone else said we are just a participation club these days. I know how talking up a good talk does for endorphins, feeling energised but at the end of the day it’s just hopes and well-wishes much like the dialogue of Flanagan who said there would be mass changes and impressive signings as he joined.

I feel the masses have been brainwashed and I have my guard up big time. Bracing for more excuses in the next few years.
Come to the dark side bigredv!

possm

Coach
When it comes to players and player managers, I do believe the Dragons have a bad name and because of this, some are reluctant to come to our club or deal with us.

For a very long time in the recent past, people like Craig Young and Peter Doust had a big say when negotiating with players and player managers. A common complaint was that promises made were not promises kept and because of this some high-profile juniors were lost (B Morris, M Cooper, M Gasnier .....) So, instead of constantly working on the salary cap to ensure promises were kept, they were working on backroom deals that ensured their self-interests were achieved.

I believe that this is the stench that hangs over our great club and it will not disappear until we get rid of these people and those who support them. We need a fresh lot who can mend relations with players and player managers.

Gardenia

Juniors
There's some truth to all of this fellas. We're an easy target at the moment. The comp doesn't start till early March '24 so it's not like we need a final team now. Of all the sheet going on now, I'd love to know why there's not been any sort of announcement of Twiggy's involvement. I mean, the second richest Australian potentially as a financial backer? If there's something to be worried about, it's this! Is this another hit on the horizon??
I have wondered this also. It has never been officially announced. The Ten days cooling off period would have well and truly passed by now. It's gone eerily quiet.

dragon64

Juniors
Funny, we have complained about the club's lack of success getting high profile players, but if the Captain complains...
Afternoon guys,
This is my first time on here. I've been reading posts on here for a couple of years during our club's bad run & it's been hard to sit back and watch. I've been following the Dragons since I was 9, I turn 60 next July. I will continue following the Dragons until I leave earth, I just hope everyone gives Flanno and the team he has at the moment time to prove everyone wrong. It's bad enough that the media give us enough crap to sell a paper or a story without us supporters gunning for the players or coach and not giving them a chance.

Crush

Coach
In rugby league it’s easy to sell positivity. There’s always next week in footy and when there isn’t anymore, there’s always ‘next season’. The club will just keep playing off this notion for as long as we are willing to swallow it.

I actually think I saw an article where Tom Eisenhuth was feeling upbeat and impressed by the club. That kind of thing is trash. Don’t treat the supporters like they are nimwits. First get Tom to make a name for himself in the game and then we might care about his opinion on the worst run club in the game! Harsh but fair, yes?

It’s so easy to bag this club at the moment and sure I will call a spade a spade but it’s not my intention to just criticise. In 2016 I begged for the sacking of Mary and it never came until the club was in a state of disrepair. From then I’ve had zero belief on confidence that we were a serious club.

I actually don’t have any solution that doesn’t involve wiping the board and as a fan I don’t know how to bring that about. Just frustrated and tired and feeling powerless like everyone else. It upsets me to see so many intelligent posters buying in or just talking up our chances purely because we exist in the comp. As someone else said we are just a participation club these days. I know how talking up a good talk does for endorphins, feeling energised but at the end of the day it’s just hopes and well-wishes much like the dialogue of Flanagan who said there would be mass changes and impressive signings as he joined.

I feel the masses have been brainwashed and I have my guard up big time. Bracing for more excuses in the next few years.
I don't think anyone has been brainwashed. Speaking personally, I think there is a time to lay the boot in and a time to have a positive outlook.
And we all have our guard up, nobody is getting carried away, its more people being cautiously optimistic.
Trust me, if we get 6 weeks into the season and its the same old 5 hit ups, give it to Ben. Pathetic defense, players blaming each other for tries conceded, then it'll be back to laying the boot in and outrage.
For now, I'm embracing the hope (foolish as you think that is).

Nanadragon

Juniors
What is always needed is a good mix of juniors and marquee players. To simply jrely on juniors to come through and become top first-grade players is based on a lot of luck and has avoided the Dragons of late. The 3 amegos Sloan, Sullivan, and Amone are a case to point to. Quinlan, Dufty, and Hutchison are others who whatever reason did not end up being good first-graders for the Dragons.

You can be assured that Hunt will now pack his bags and move on so, what is needed in the short term is for the Dragons to spend the cap they have accumulated, starting with two good props, a halfback, and most probably a fullback or centre for the next two seasons.

I've now grown very tired of the usual idea of writing off the upcoming season to concentrate on a competition two seasons out. A lazy practice that never delivers.

getsmarty

Immortal
Afternoon guys,
This is my first time on here. I've been reading posts on here for a couple of years during our club's bad run & it's been hard to sit back and watch. I've been following the Dragons since I was 9, I turn 60 next July. I will continue following the Dragons until I leave earth, I just hope everyone gives Flanno and the team he has at the moment time to prove everyone wrong. It's bad enough that the media give us enough crap to sell a paper or a story without us supporters gunning for the players or coach and not giving them a chance.

Well stated....Have a Good Christmas and New Year @dragon64

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Flanno is back in the NRL as a head coach for his first season since the ban. Players from other clubs may be waiting to see how he goes and if they like what they see they may jump on board.

As for taking a look at the Sharks and hoping to emulate them, getting their premiership winning coach is a good start. Hopefully he can improve the Dragons like he did them as they were in a similar position to Saints so he has good experience in building teams. I still think Nathan Brown would have been better for recruitment and pathways but it's not to be. He has a great record in bringing in good talent.

Hopefully this time 3 months from now we will be writing about the round 3 clash against the Cowboys after 2 good wins against the Titans and Dolphins. Can't wait till the season starts and we can write about games played rather than player movements.

thebigredv

First Grade
I don't think anyone has been brainwashed. Speaking personally, I think there is a time to lay the boot in and a time to have a positive outlook.
And we all have our guard up, nobody is getting carried away, its more people being cautiously optimistic.
Trust me, if we get 6 weeks into the season and its the same old 5 hit ups, give it to Ben. Pathetic defense, players blaming each other for tries conceded, then it'll be back to laying the boot in and outrage.
For now, I'm embracing the hope (foolish as you think that is).
Crush, I shouldnt put people down for being positive and that is not my intention, nor should anyone care what I think in regard to their own personal psychology. This has been a long fought subject on this forum and for the last 12 years there has been next to nothing to show for all the fans' positive energy. I deal in facts and at best I will be somewhat positively surprised if there's improvement.

I just feel sorry for us that right now a host of teams are licking their lips at the prospects their club are bringing to them and here are our fans trying to squint just enough at our team that it appears anything but the dogs breakfast that is.

Last year we were in the same position and pinning the last of our hopes on Bud, Tyrell and Amone etc now that attention has turned to the likes of Couchman's and the two blokes we got from Manly, with even less conviction. What a long bow to draw to say that equates to a better finish for us, all the while with a captain that would bend over backwards for QLD but just cry in the corner when anyone other than Hook gives him an instruction.