What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Dragons identify two new targets after AFB blindside​

Shane Flanagan opens up on how St George Illawarra will deal with Addin Fonua-Blake’s shock call to sign with the Cronulla Sharks. SUBSCRIBE for the latest NRL market watch.

P.S apologies behind paywall
Shane Flanagan says St George Illawarra has already “moved on” from the disappointment of missing out on gun prop Addin Fonua-Blake, adamant “there will be other opportunities over the next 12 months”.
The Fonua-Blake blow came on the same day the Dragons missed out on Tom Dearden, who recommitted to the Cowboys on a five-year extension.
Flanagan said while missing out on Fonua-Blake was setback, the focus now was on the future.
“Of course we are disappointed but that’s the game we are in,” Flanagan said. “We have moved on already.
“There will be other options over the next 12 months ... our focus now is getting ready for season ‘24.
Addin Fonua-Blake will join the Cronulla Sharks in 2025. Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
Addin Fonua-Blake will join the Cronulla Sharks in 2025. Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
“The team has trained at an elite level for eight weeks and we break for Christmas knowing we have achieved our physical performance goals.”
The Dragons are also chasing a backrower, with Cowboys pair Heilum Luki and teenage tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki identified as two potential targets.
While the Dragons were thought to be the favourites to land Fonua-Blake for the 2025 season, the Warriors prop made the shock call this week to take up a four-year deal at Cronulla worth around $1m-a-season.
The fact the Sharks are considered in a better position to seriously challenge for the premiership was said to be a significant factor in Fonua-Blake’s decision.
Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons. Picture: Richard Dobson
Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons.

Dragons miss out on young gun Dearden
Yet it is also just another indication of the challenge facing Flanagan when it comes to trying to attract big name recruits to a club that has not played finals football since 2018.
Dearden was always considered a long shot to leave the Cowboys where he has now committed to until 2029.
The other concern for the Dragons would be what impact missing out on Fonua-Blake and Dearden potentially has on Ben Hunt’s future.
Despite initially chasing an immediate release, Hunt has now agreed to at least see out 2024.
But Flanagan said in recent days that he was confident the Dragons skipper has bought into the changes at the club and that Hunt would be there for 2025 as well.

Crush

Coach
Everyone except Flanno.

I'm backing the new coach but he stuffed up with this one.

He also stuffed up coming out this week saying he was confident that he'd get AFB across the line. He can spin it anyway he likes it but I don't buy the "at least we're in there trying to get marque players to the club". So what??!

This is a results driven business and when it comes to recruitment we run dead last.

Even the back to back wooden spooners have recruited better than we have.
Mate, I’m backing Flanno big time, I think he’ll do an excellent job.
And I am happy with the recruitment of Kyle and have no problem with him starting at 6.
But I have a hard time believing that Flanno Senior didn’t know exactly what he was doing when he let Bud go, he opened up the door for Kyle to be a starting half, a position he no doubt has confidence he can manage.

St Tangles

Bench
We have went from some good signings after the season ends to after the November 1st deadline to the end of November then to a couple of Xmas presents.

Now it's more opportunities over the next 12 months.

I think what we have now is as good as it gets for next season.

Hopefully a few of the young players surpise us.

getsmarty

Immortal
Shane Flanagan says St George Illawarra has already “moved on” from the disappointment of missing out on gun prop Addin Fonua-Blake, adamant “there will be other opportunities over the next 12 months”.
The Fonua-Blake blow came on the same day the Dragons missed out on Tom Dearden, who recommitted to the Cowboys on a five-year extension.
Flanagan said while missing out on Fonua-Blake was setback, the focus now was on the future.
“Of course we are disappointed but that’s the game we are in,” Flanagan said. “We have moved on already.
“There will be other options over the next 12 months ... our focus now is getting ready for season ‘24.
“The team has trained at an elite level for eight weeks and we break for Christmas knowing we have achieved our physical performance goals.”
The Dragons are also chasing a backrower, with Cowboys pair Heilum Luki and teenage tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki identified as two potential targets.
While the Dragons were thought to be the favourites to land Fonua-Blake for the 2025 season, the Warriors prop made the shock call this week to take up a four-year deal at Cronulla worth around $1m-a-season.
The fact the Sharks are considered in a better position to seriously challenge for the premiership was said to be a significant factor in Fonua-Blake’s decision.
Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons. Picture: Richard Dobson
Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons.

Dragons miss out on young gun Dearden
Yet it is also just another indication of the challenge facing Flanagan when it comes to trying to attract big name recruits to a club that has not played finals football since 2018.
Dearden was always considered a long shot to leave the Cowboys where he has now committed to until 2029.
The other concern for the Dragons would be what impact missing out on Fonua-Blake and Dearden potentially has on Ben Hunt’s future.
Despite initially chasing an immediate release, Hunt has now agreed to at least see out 2024.
But Flanagan said in recent days that he was confident the Dragons skipper has bought into the changes at the club and that Hunt would be there for 2025 as well.

Thanks for posting @AyiosYiorgos . Have a safe Christmas and new Year.

TheRev

Coach
o Bud pushed and pushed for a release.. has ongoing weight & injury issues (related im sure), and I bet there was some ultimatums around guaranteed starting spots.... I was one of his biggest fans watching every minute I could and the way he was guiding NSW Cup wins in some otherwise dark times.. but if the kid cant calm the hell down.. I'm happy to back Flanno in that situation.

o Im actually not sure Luai has actually put pen to paper though cause now there is talk of the Dogs offer.. but anyway.. Bud has 2024 to impress either way.. I think they have him as a 14...but halves is still possible.. who knows what his future holds.. I will say that the Tigers and Dogs are going to have some serious fringe halves without a job in 3 months time.. I wonder if we will end up with 1 of those rejects on subsidised coin?

o It is possible that missing AFB/Dearden could lead to some more astute signings over the next 12 months.. but it certainly would have been made things far easier.. we really are back to square 1.. but atleast we got some closure.

o Lastly Amone apparently has 5 days to appeal the NRL's decision..is that something that could drag on for months? I hope we are good to go headhunting now.. not sure who we will hunt.. but we need someone for 2024 fullstop.

blacksafake

First Grade
o Bud pushed and pushed for a release.. has ongoing weight & injury issues (related im sure), and I bet there was some ultimatums around guaranteed starting spots.... I was one of his biggest fans watching every minute I could and the way he was guiding NSW Cup wins in some otherwise dark times.. but if the kid cant calm the hell down.. I'm happy to back Flanno in that situation.

o Im actually not sure Luai has actually put pen to paper though cause now there is talk of the Dogs offer.. but anyway.. Bud has 2024 to impress either way.. I think they have him as a 14...but halves is still possible.. who knows what his future holds.. I will say that the Tigers and Dogs are going to have some serious fringe halves without a job in 3 months time.. I wonder if we will end up with 1 of those rejects on subsidised coin?

o It is possible that missing AFB/Dearden could lead to some more astute signings over the next 12 months.. but it certainly would have been made things far easier.. we really are back to square 1.. but atleast we got some closure.

o Lastly Amone apparently has 5 days to appeal the NRL's decision..is that something that could drag on for months? I hope we are good to go headhunting now.. not sure who we will hunt.. but we need someone for 2024 fullstop.
Agree @TheRev
I was over the constant whinging about being released from Bud or his Manager.
Good luck to him but he’s made his bed so he can now lie in it.

Dragon David

First Grade
This ugly trend that we are setting of highlighting who we are going for and then being knocked back does not lend itself to other players wanting to come to us. Yes it is good to see that the Dragons are trying to get good players to come but at the same time we look totally incompetent and useless once we come to the dead end and we don't get the man.

The more other players are seeing us get knocked back as a destination to go to the more embarrassing it is for the club to show how bad our negotiations have gone. The laughs are just getting louder.

Clearly something is terribly wrong with how a proposed signing is done by our recruiting staff. A lot have said that Haran, Millward, Millard are not capable of getting the man but of course there must be other reasons because the decent ones just don't want to come. We have no problems getting the less than decent ones but it is those that we need to augment our existing playing squad that is proving so difficult to achieve.

So now it is basically what we have is what we put onto the field. Let's hope that the guys can do it themselves without those "decent" signings.

Last edited:

maestro1

Bench
The best negotiators have developed the best relationships with player managers. Guys Gould is extremely close to these guys and with that friendship comes the inside knowledge of the extra carrot to get Player X to sign. Unfortunately, just contract money isn't enough when other clubs are offering careers on TV league shows after retirement, or apartments to family members, or shares in pubs, etc. Our amateurs are so far behind what is actually going on that we will continually fail. The recruitment setup needed to change 10 years ago, but we stick with the same old practice of jobs for the boys, family and friends. Grow up St George Illawarra. If your not prepared to play the game, fxck off and let someone else do it. This is business. It's not B grade rugby league

blacksafake

First Grade
And the constant whinging of the other bloke?
The other bloke has been let down by officials with the lack of quality signings to assist him which is Flanno is trying to rectify.
Yes he could’ve gone about it in a different way but we don’t know the circumstances. Maybe his requests for better signings were ignored & frustration took over?

As for Bud he’s a rookie who hasn’t shown much in his games of NRL. Should have put his head down & worked hard biding his time which seems to be an issue for him. Apparently turned up to his first day of training at a new club overweight which says a lot.

This ugly trend that we are setting of highlighting who we are going for and then being knocked back does not lend itself to other players wanting to come to us. Yes it is good to see that the Dragons are trying to get good players to come but at the same time we look totally incompetent and useless once we come to the dead end and we don't get the man.

The more other players are seeing us get knocked back as a destination to go to the more embarrassing it is for the club to show how bad our negotiations have gone. The laughs are just getting louder.

Clearly something is terribly wrong with how a proposed signing is done by our recruiting staff. A lot have said that Haran, Millward, Millard are not capable of getting the man but of course there must be other reasons because the decent ones just don't want top come. We have no problems getting the less than decent ones but it is those that we need to augment our existing playing squad that is proving so difficult to achieve.

So now it is basically what we have is what we put onto the field. Let's hope that the guys can do it themselves without those "decent" signings.
I really think the recruitment team and coach need to stop trying to pacify the supporter base by openly talking about targets.
On one hand they are trying to show they are not sitting on their hands and working hard to change things, but on the other when a knock back happens it is very public and embarrassing for an already hurt supporter base.
I think best to shut up, say we focussed upon new talent as it becomes available and get on with it. Fans will still be frustrated not knowing but better than what is happening now.

Crush

Coach

Clearly something is terribly wrong with how a proposed signing is done by our recruiting staff. A lot have said that Haran, Millward, Millard are not capable of getting the man but of course there must be other reasons because the decent ones just don't want to come. We have no problems getting the less than decent ones but it is those that we need to augment our existing playing squad that is proving so difficult to achieve.

Listening to SEN yesterday, they were talking about when a club has a stench about it, all the players know and won’t go near it. Apparently before they got Hook too, a number of high profile coaches and players were approached but nobody wanted to touch us because of the ‘word on the street’
We need to first change the reputation of the club before we will attract anyone.
That’ll only happen with positive results on the footy field.
David, we have enough in our squad to be competitive. When we signed Francis Molo for example we were over the moon that we’d landed a high quality prop. We still have him! If he plays to his potential we will be alright, same can be said for a number of underperforming players. The players I think can most benefit from a good coaching system are Lomax, Bird, Suli. These three were massive under-performers, their ceiling is high, need them to reach it.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I really think the recruitment team and coach need to stop trying to pacify the supporter base by openly talking about targets.
On one hand they are trying to show they are not sitting on their hands and working hard to change things, but on the other when a knock back happens it is very public and embarrassing for an already hurt supporter base.
I think best to shut up, say we focussed upon new talent as it becomes available and get on with it. Fans will still be frustrated not knowing but better than what is happening now.
As far as I can tell, it has only been Flanno who has been talking about targets. He may be doing it to pacify Ben Hunt, he may be doing it to try and make the club look proactive and dynamic, or he may be doing it to make himself look good. Whichever it is, it's not working.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Listening to SEN yesterday, they were talking about when a club has a stench about it, all the players know and won’t go near it. Apparently before they got Hook too, a number of high profile coaches and players were approached but nobody wanted to touch us because of the ‘word on the street’
We need to first change the reputation of the club before we will attract anyone.
That’ll only happen with positive results on the footy field.
David, we have enough in our squad to be competitive. When we signed Francis Molo for example we were over the moon that we’d landed a high quality prop. We still have him! If he plays to his potential we will be alright, same can be said for a number of underperforming players. The players I think can most benefit from a good coaching system are Lomax, Bird, Suli. These three were massive under-performers, their ceiling is high, need them to reach it.
I don't know if stench is the right word, but it's definitely a case of Board and Management thinking we are the mighty St George, we just have to sit back and drink crownies while players flock to us and sponsorship money rolls in. It doesn't look like a professionally run club and who would want to go to a club like that if there is an alternative?

That said, it does feel like things are improving ever so slightly since Lancaster and Webb got on board.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Yes well, we have basically the same squad that finished second last last season minus a couple of juniors. To move up the ladder will require Flanno to get more out of the players we have, whether that's from improved fitness, attitude, or better tactics. It will be baby steps if we move at all.

possm

Coach
Flanno needs to hop back on the bike and suck up recent setbacks. Go out and find a couple of young, big strong props who won't take a step backward. Send them out onto the field each game with the attitude and mission to set a platform.

On your bike, Flanno, but please don't involve Millward, Millard, or Haran in your mission!

TheRev

Coach
I think blaming publicity for failed signings is misplaced.. ignore AFB as he was completely unique in his request to come to Sydney.. but with (most) of the others.. we generally start negotiations quietly.. but at some point someone finds out.. I reckon most often its the player manager leaking it to raise publicity/value for his player.. The journos are going to call Flanno... and he could lie or dodge the call.. but seriously.. and I think as fans id also rather know we are atleast talking to players... unlike under Hook who said nothing.

The issue imo is that we cant close a deal quickly.. Gus has a chat and its done in a few days (usually) before the media can even get a good story out.. but other than Sele, noone has really wanted to commit to us.. they explore all their options.. they drag it out.. and tbh they are probably mostly just using us to increase their value.. its not Flannos fault for answering media questions.. its just that players dont actually want to come if they have any other choice...

BLM01

First Grade
I think blaming publicity for failed signings is misplaced.. ignore AFB as he was completely unique in his request to come to Sydney.. but with (most) of the others.. we generally start negotiations quietly.. but at some point someone finds out.. I reckon most often its the player manager leaking it to raise publicity/value for his player.. The journos are going to call Flanno... and he could lie or dodge the call.. but seriously.. and I think as fans id also rather know we are atleast talking to players... unlike under Hook who said nothing.

The issue imo is that we cant close a deal quickly.. Gus has a chat and its done in a few days (usually) before the media can even get a good story out.. but other than Sele, noone has really wanted to commit to us.. they explore all their options.. they drag it out.. and tbh they are probably mostly just using us to increase their value.. its not Flannos fault for answering media questions.. its just that players dont actually want to come if they have any other choice...
Well said and balanced argument and articulating reality. Dont forget we dont have a Gus like figure, new recruitment person just getting their feet under the desk and of course our GM the club basically admitted when they chatted to Richo needs to learn or be mentored.
Our club would rather he develop on the run as a club fav more than try and poach one of the games better ones. That is / has been? our clubs/ BOD's mentality unfortunately "build within" except they have focussed on the wrong dept. being the staff. We need the best available in the game "staff" to "build within" from our player nursery. Change that and things will change for us on field as maybe similar to a Penrith model. Is Twiggy a start?.. we will see.

Last edited: