What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
Yep, its not exciting, I do understand that we need cover in the halves, but I dont see much difference between this guy and one of our juniors, we didnt get much value from the last guy we loaned.
Our equivalent halves were Amone & Sullivan.. the rest are 3-4yrs behind still..

Shaun Johnson has 1yr left on his contract.. maybe Volkmans future comes back to whether Johnson extends?

Budpower

Juniors
Volkys a proper halfback, Kyle will be excited to be outside an upcoming organising real half and it will show us what our teams like run by a proper half, not a selfish hog like Hunt, praying he carves and we can move Hunt on so hopefully Volksy can somehow stay longterm, a Volksy/ Flanno jnr halves combo could be better for us longterm than AFB, specially if we can snare both NQ forward prodigys, losing out on Deardon, AFB etc would soon be left in the dust

Nutz

Bench
@Budpower
@Dragon David
And the rest of of The Red and Whites
I was hoping you guys would snare AFB when we WT dropped out because it looks like on paper that you need a bookend. Presuming that Lawrie and Milo are your starting middle....is that right?
I don't know what the status is regarding talks with Heilum Luki at the Cowboys but that's a fwd I'd be keen on.....if you can prise him out of Townsville where he was raised and has family and friends. We tried but he was well and truely anchored up there. But he's more mature now and has developed his game and could be looking for an upgrade.
Could you tell me how you rate Sullivan. Is he going to be a good signing for us and in your opinion is he best suited as a ½ or ⅝? Benji wanted him to run the backline but if we manage to snare Luai I'm thinking Sullivan would play ⅝ outside him??
Lastly, imo Hunt should be your ½ and if there is a sniff of his wanting to go North again you should punt him asap. I was disgusted by his antics as a captain and that could derail your club. No-one is above the club or his tean mates. Sorry for being so abrupt.
The years nearly finished so hope your all having a break soon and renew for next year.

Budpower

Juniors
excellent words bro...Bud is a cracking half and if he has Luai outside him you guys will win many games! his only weakness to me is he can be injury prone...but a lot were when younger even Benji and Thurston but they sure bounced back ok didnt they , im still sad we let him go it will always haunt me, followed his career in jnrs for years, i still watch old Wests games I grew up Dragons fanatic from QLD , but Tommy Raudonikous era Wests Maggies were always my 2nd team, Happy Christmas bro and may us long suffering Dragons AND Wests Tigers fans truly have something to cheer about this year! 🥳🥳🥳

SnowDragon

Juniors
excellent words bro...Bud is a cracking half and if he has Luai outside him you guys will win many games! his only weakness to me is he can be injury prone...but a lot were when younger even Benji and Thurston but they sure bounced back ok didnt they , im still sad we let him go it will always haunt me, followed his career in jnrs for years, i still watch old Wests games I grew up Dragons fanatic from QLD , but Tommy Raudonikous era Wests Maggies were always my 2nd team, Happy Christmas bro and may us long suffering Dragons AND Wests Tigers fans truly have something to cheer about this year! 🥳🥳🥳

yeah, I agree budpower. I was gutted too when he left, which I thought (without proof) was due to his relationship with Hunt, possibly injury prone situation too.

justadragon

Bench
@Budpower
@Dragon David
And the rest of of The Red and Whites
I was hoping you guys would snare AFB when we WT dropped out because it looks like on paper that you need a bookend. Presuming that Lawrie and Milo are your starting middle....is that right?
I don't know what the status is regarding talks with Heilum Luki at the Cowboys but that's a fwd I'd be keen on.....if you can prise him out of Townsville where he was raised and has family and friends. We tried but he was well and truely anchored up there. But he's more mature now and has developed his game and could be looking for an upgrade.
Could you tell me how you rate Sullivan. Is he going to be a good signing for us and in your opinion is he best suited as a ½ or ⅝? Benji wanted him to run the backline but if we manage to snare Luai I'm thinking Sullivan would play ⅝ outside him??
Lastly, imo Hunt should be your ½ and if there is a sniff of his wanting to go North again you should punt him asap. I was disgusted by his antics as a captain and that could derail your club. No-one is above the club or his tean mates. Sorry for being so abrupt.
The years nearly finished so hope your all having a break soon and renew for next year.
Sullivan was seen as our saviour for quite a few years coming up through grade. He was killing it in NSW cup, when he was injury free. He only got very limited time in the halves plus most of his NRL experience you could say was at 14. If I had to put my hand on my heart and say nothing much really happened when he did play in the halves, then again there was nothing much really happening with the whole team. it was touted that the 3 amigos sloan, amone and sullivan would be the three that would propel the Dragons back into some force. We all know what happened with each one of them, amone being the last disaster. It was a mystery why we allowed Sullivan to leave, even though he had requested a release under Hook prior, Flanno had no hesitation in letting him go, and I think there was more behind the scenes to that one. So really personally I couldnt tell you about his full potential in the NRL because it never eventuated. So there are some youtube highlights of him, I'd imagine if he can remain injury free he might flourish under Benji, also depends what his attitude is, this is a weird one, he might come back to bite the Dragons or Flanno will be proven right in letting him go, either way good luck to him.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Well said Bud. My sentiments on Sulli as well.

Hey Nutz

Sulli will carve up the opposition most games if he is fully fit. He has suffered from a lot of injuries mainly because he puts a lot of effort into his games and just like two of the greats in Thurston and Benji, who both suffered injuries early in their careers but then became stronger and fitter and built up well to play many games without injury, so too will Bud.

Where Bud plays will be up to Benji and if Luai is officially yours then the combination of him and Bud will be a beauty.

All the best for the festive season and next year.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sullivan was seen as our saviour for quite a few years coming up through grade. He was killing it in NSW cup, when he was injury free. He only got very limited time in the halves plus most of his NRL experience you could say was at 14. If I had to put my hand on my heart and say nothing much really happened when he did play in the halves, then again there was nothing much really happening with the whole team. it was touted that the 3 amigos sloan, amone and sullivan would be the three that would propel the Dragoons back into some force. We all know what happened with each one of them, amone being the last disaster. It was a mystery why we allowed Sullivan to leave, even though he had requested a release under Hook prior, Flanno had no hesitation in letting him go, and I think there was more behind the scenes to that one. So really personally I couldnt tell you about his full potential in the NRL because it never eventuated. So there are some youtube highlights of him, I'd imagine if he can remain injury free he might flourish under Benji, also depends what his attitude is, this is a weird one, he might come back to bite the Dragons or Flanno will be proven right in letting him go, either way good luck to him.
Fully agree with you justa.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Sullivan was seen as our saviour for quite a few years coming up through grade. He was killing it in NSW cup, when he was injury free. He only got very limited time in the halves plus most of his NRL experience you could say was at 14. If I had to put my hand on my heart and say nothing much really happened when he did play in the halves, then again there was nothing much really happening with the whole team. it was touted that the 3 amigos sloan, amone and sullivan would be the three that would propel the Dragons back into some force. We all know what happened with each one of them, amone being the last disaster. It was a mystery why we allowed Sullivan to leave, even though he had requested a release under Hook prior, Flanno had no hesitation in letting him go, and I think there was more behind the scenes to that one. So really personally I couldnt tell you about his full potential in the NRL because it never eventuated. So there are some youtube highlights of him, I'd imagine if he can remain injury free he might flourish under Benji, also depends what his attitude is, this is a weird one, he might come back to bite the Dragons or Flanno will be proven right in letting him go, either way good luck to him.
Bud left before Flanno officially took over. Bud also recently mentioned he wanted to be a one club man. So I think his manager had a lot to do with him leaving. Maybe he got a better deal from Tigers. However, if Luai manages to get a release this year and joins tigers as he is apparently refusing to train with panthers, there will be oversaturation at Tigers for Halves position. So let's wait and see what happens.

since77

Juniors
It's all academic as he's gone now. Whilst I trust Flanno, I will never understand the reasoning behind releasing him especially since the Amone situation seemed to be a foregone conclusion, and IMO he was far far far superior to Amone anyway. By miles.
The one thing I will always say about Sullivan is that he was monumentally mismanaged by Griffin and injuries aside should have got a lot more game time than he did. Quality home grown halves are hard to come by and I think we have let a good one slip through our fingers.
Hopefully at some stage in the near future we find our star half and the team will find success and we'll all be happy with whoever has the 7 on his back.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's all academic as he's gone now. Whilst I trust Flanno, I will never understand the reasoning behind releasing him especially since the Amone situation seemed to be a foregone conclusion, and IMO he was far far far superior to Amone anyway. By miles.
The one thing I will always say about Sullivan is that he was monumentally mismanaged by Griffin and injuries aside should have got a lot more game time than he did. Quality home grown halves are hard to come by and I think we have let a good one slip through our fingers.
Hopefully at some stage in the near future we find our star half and the team will find success and we'll all be happy with whoever has the 7 on his back.
Good one since77!

Illusion

Bench
For me all this is because of Hook and Hunt love affair that Sully got limited game time ...... It was like we better not play him in the halves because he might show you up my Hunty ......

Mojo

Bench
Joining dots (in this case more like blobs IMO), I think it‘s very obvious that Hook and Hunt, together, did everything they could to keep Sullivan out of 1st grade simply because Hunt didn’t want to be challenged for the 7 position. It was disgraceful. I don’t blame Sullivan for repeatedly asking for a release. When Flano made it clear Hunt would be his preferred 7, I think Sullivan was justified in asking again.
Things would have been different if Hunt went to 9 and Sullivan had a crack at 7.
IMO, Hook and Hunt, combined, have been the worst thing to happen for Saints in recent history.
I can’t wait to see the back of Hunt.

Illusion

Bench
Joining dots (in this case more like blobs IMO), I think it‘s very obvious that Hook and Hunt, together, did everything they could to keep Sullivan out of 1st grade simply because Hunt didn’t want to be challenged for the 7 position. It was disgraceful. I don’t blame Sullivan for repeatedly asking for a release. When Flano made it clear Hunt would be his preferred 7, I think Sullivan was justified in asking again.
Things would have been different if Hunt went to 9 and Sullivan had a crack at 7.
IMO, Hook and Hunt, combined, have been the worst thing to happen for Saints in recent history.
I can’t wait to see the back of Hunt.
Yes mate I have been over him for a loooong time . How he degraded the club and wanted out , now I want him out ...... And what makes me even more raged is how everyone crawls up his backside .......

since77

Juniors
For me all this is because of Hook and Hunt love affair that Sully got limited game time ...... It was like we better not play him in the halves because he might show you up my Hunty ......
Yeah I usually dont buy into conspiracy theories but I tend to agree with you on this. Sullivan was prepared to take risks while Hunt was happy playing the Griffinball gameplan of 5 ineffectual hitups and a kick.

Nutz

Bench
Awesome feedback guys, and said in true ANZAC spirit. We'll fight with our mates in the trenches.
I too found I odd releasing Sullivan with Amone have dirty laundry.
I was thinking after the time I posted last night that $6mil (or what ever it is because it's changing every time I read stuff from different journos) contract offer is a huge amount of cap money for a ⅝.
I would've assumed Luai would play ½ as he's done with Samoa and with Penrith when Nathan isn't playing.
What about your bookends, they seem a bit light on especially now youve missed out on the "let me out I've got personal problems" man.

Latest posts