What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
Jebus Kit, they are under contract and nobody else will take them obviously.

Obviously my post was a criticism of our recruitment policies - the Feagais are just another symptom of our inept Club. Don't be surprised though if we re-sign them, anything is possible at the Dragons.

Shred

Juniors
Whatever was going on between Hook and Sullivan seemed pretty personal to me. Pretty poor, disgraceful and unprofessional from a coach. I wouldn't necessarily agree we should've kept Sullivan, by reports his family like to get involved in matters that don't concern them, his attitude isn't fantastic (thought he should walk up and be the 7 at a very young age, also turned up to a new club overweight), and his constant hamstring issues became a concern. You can't compare Thurston and Benji's early injuries to Bud's in my opinion. Bud's injuries are recurring soft tissue injuries, very different and very likely to continue hampering him. No doubt he does have some talent though.

But, two incidents stood out that I found very poor. The game against the Broncos this year, when Bud kicks for Lomax in open space and it just goes into touch before Zac gets there. A bit of off the cuff play that I thought was a good play, it didn't come off because Zac was a bit too slow to get there, but the ball waited for him for ages. It wasn't a bad kick. If it comes off, we probably win that game. In my view, you should encourage that confidence that is needed to attempt that play. Instead, Griffin personally calls him out in the press conference. Disgraceful.

The other incident was when Sullivan was so obviously wrongfully sin-binned in the Cowboys game, the one game when he was allowed to start in the halves with Hunt at hooker, and Griffin didn't let him get back on the field. Essentially blaming Bud for getting binned (which was unavoidable - he was stuck under an attacker and the ref made a horrendous call). That was personal and rightfully Griffin's last game in charge. Two absolutely inexplicable incidents.
Spot on mate !

possm

Coach
It is great to hear that Hamish Stewart and Dylan Egan were mentioned by Flanno as players he could give their debut jerseys to as both are only 19yrs old I believe

Flanno did say he thinks they will FG footballers for a very long time

He was hesitant rushing then though

But really we have to solve that spearhead metres asap via a top10 prop

5/8 Kyle might do a strong job but we need more depth their if not marque as identified with Deardon

Very much hope Luki saids yes

Many may also be getting an offer he can’t refuse?
Now that we have missed signing a rew of our recruitment targets, I imagine Hunt will again be asking for a release. Kyle to halfback and a marquee five-eighth needs to be signed.

We still also need a dominant prop for 2024.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
My take on the Bud issues is this which is purely just my opinion. I think it was Hook and Hunt (mostly Hunt) v Bud. Hook kept picking Hunt because he wanted No.7. Hook got picked at 9 for a game and kicked stones and unfortunately for Bud, he got sent off and never selected again as if to justify Hunt being the 7. Hook then gets sacked. Hunt cries to the media he wants a release because he can see writing on the wall with new coach and empathises he wants halfback or else.

Flanno comes in, promises Hunt 7 to stop the noise. He then releases Bud to Tigers to make room for his son and the rest is history. I personally think the Bud thing is going to come back and bite Saints big time like many others like Fitzgibbon but all teams cop that. Thurston beiung let go by Dogs is much worse.

For Flanno to make a move like that is a huge gamble for his own career so he must have a lot of faith in his son. Kyle was pretty good for the Chooks to snap him up so he may be better than we think. Anyway huge gamble, as if this goes miserably he may not land another NRL head coaching role but I can see Flanno is a pretty determined guy and will make it work. His worst case is he moves Kyle to 9 or 14 as "first planned apparently" and bring in a top notch half. Anyway 2024 will be an interesting year and the foundation I hope for long term success.

Old Timer

Coach
The notion that Hook & Hunt deliberately and purposefully hampered Sullivan’s career are just ludicrous.

Sullivan obviously didn’t fit the mould for what coach and captain had in mind and that is the way it played out for right or wrong.

The 2 specific examples of the kick and the sin bin whilst correct and glaring are but 2 incidents in what may have been many ongoing issues behind the scenes and at training.

We weren’t there to understand all the pros & cons but I’m sure that no one here as either a captain or a coach would tolerate sulky or arrogant behaviour from a player or his manager and sure as eggs would be pissed off with requests for immediate release from a f**king rookie.

Bud now already on the wrong side of it at the Tigpies turning up underdone, overweight and making comments about still a saint at heart and having wanted to be a 1 club player which if I was his new coach or captain would be totally pissed off by it.

Maybe the pressure of the other Tigpies signings and options might be unsettling an already unsettled personality.

The stupid part is that if Bud does make it it will all be I told you so f**k you Hook but if he turns out a dud some will still say f**k you Hook because that is easier than saying that you overestimated Bud.

Yes Bud might have a great game or 2 but is he another Thurston or Luke Brooks only time will tell.

If people trust in Flanagan then trust him as he thinks Hook had it right and had let Bud walk and do his talking elsewhere

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The notion that Hook & Hunt deliberately and purposefully hampered Sullivan’s career are just ludicrous.

Sullivan obviously didn’t fit the mould for what coach and captain had in mind and that is the way it played out for right or wrong.

The 2 specific examples of the kick and the sin bin whilst correct and glaring are but 2 incidents in what may have been many ongoing issues behind the scenes and at training.

We weren’t there to understand all the pros & cons but I’m sure that no one here as either a captain or a coach would tolerate sulky or arrogant behaviour from a player or his manager and sure as eggs would be pissed off with requests for immediate release from a f**king rookie.

Bud now already on the wrong side of it at the Tigpies turning up underdone, overweight and making comments about still a saint at heart and having wanted to be a 1 club player which if I was his new coach or captain would be totally pissed off by it.

Maybe the pressure of the other Tigpies signings and options might be unsettling an already unsettled personality.

The stupid part is that if Bud does make it it will all be I told you so f**k you Hook but if he turns out a dud some will still say f**k you Hook because that is easier than saying that you overestimated Bud.

Yes Bud might have a great game or 2 but is he another Thurston or Luke Brooks only time will tell.

If people trust in Flanagan then trust him as he thinks Hook had it right and had let Bud walk and do his talking elsewhere
"I was his new coach or captain would be totally pissed off by it."
You don't remember Api's comments before joining the Tigpies...

I love reading these threads. Try not to involve myself with the intricacies of coaching and player combination, styles etc (Not qualified - except Hunt)
I do love the politics and general dynamics.
So, basically I'm just thanking all for some informative posts and some very heartfelt sentiments that I share, but don't always agree :) -Doesn't matter!
At home we celebrate Christmas on the eve - tonight.
I just scored a roll of loin pork with 360 degree crackling. Then rubbed salt and oil into the skin - Yum
If I don't post in future, I've had a coronary.
Death by crackling - what a way to go. Beats Dementia.
Moral of the story, for Flanno, to the boys -
Life's short -Compared to what we've been seeing from Hook and Co, there's nothing to lose having a go as the underdog, and everything to gain
All the best and a prosperous new year to the Dragons and all on this forum.

Dragon David

First Grade
I love reading these threads. Try not to involve myself with the intricacies of coaching and player combination, styles etc (Not qualified - except Hunt)
So, basically I'm just thanking all for some informative posts and some very heartfelt sentiments that I share, but don't always agree :) -Doesn't matter!
I just scored a roll of loin pork with 360 degree crackling. Then rubbed salt and oil into the skin - Yum
Life's short -Compared to what we've been seeing from Hook and Co, there's nothing to lose having a go as the underdog, and everything to gain
Good on you H of D. I just looooove crackling. I hope you enjoy the crackle and that you don't pop!!

Your posts have been enjoyable and comical and look forward to your contributions next year if you survive the overdose of crackling.

All the best.

Cheers DD

Old Timer

Coach
"I was his new coach or captain would be totally pissed off by it."
You don't remember Api's comments before joining the Tigpies...
Well I do actually remember them as I do the 2nd rower from Parrammatta Isaiah Papali'i who tried to back out also let's not forget Ryan Matterson another malcontent who copped a suspension rather than a fine.

I would have dropped all of them and read them the riot act and by the way how did their respective sides go

I would suggest all of them under the spell of their money hungry, grubby managers and that well might be the big part of the issues with Sullivan.

Onya Hound. I not long finished cooking our pork on the Weber for tomorrow. Cooked to your recipe i.e. salt and oil. Looks pretty damned good. A few of the in-laws don’t like pork so win win for me. Merry Christmas to all and hopefully some improvement in our beloved Dragons next year. Us long suffering supporters deserve it.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I’m the only one that eats crackling in this house. But we will have crackling!
I love my crackling too, but about 8 months ago I happily bit onto a piece and snapped a tooth off! Root canal surgery later and a new tooth and crackling is banned for me! 😟😟. So enjoy yours for me.

Oh, and a Top 8 finish for the rejuvenated Dragons in 2024!

Latest posts