What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
o Suli - Is as good as we are going to get for now (hes not my ideal player either).. the 4yr contract is a bloody long time.. but he may well end up a 2nd rower yet also. And 100% all of our backline will look better in space and without being on the back foot.. I dunno if we have the roster to fix that.. but it cant be any worse.

o Sloan - Has to really put on weight and get aggressive to be a winger (and we all hope he will do just that).. but he has always struggled to carry the ball out of the middle where he has the advantage of stepping either way.. the last place we would want him is on the wing where he can get banged into touch. I know some fans love him.. but the 2022 or 2023 Sloan would struggle to even make the NSW Cup 13 (Ben Rumble @19yrs is ready to play fullback for NSW Cup imo, but he has no dev contract). What I suspect will happen is we will start Ben on the wing with Sloan @ fullback in NSW Cup.. but im almost positive mid season Rumble will be playing fullback fulltime.

Dragon David

First Grade
Has Flanno considered Suli as an edge forward. This will negate his lack of skills, as if there is one thing Suli does well it is to use his size to barnstorm a line. With a centre position then open there is room to debut Savelio Tamale or Sione Finau.

With his current size I can see him being rag dolled into touch by monster islander outside backs more often than he can bring the crowd to its feet. Specially if he receives poor inside service and that is on the cards. He needs to add bulk to his frame and is the job of new fitness guru Dan Lawson to impress on him how crucial this is as the kid says he is fine with his present build. Once he has at least five extra kilos, betting we will see a more confident Tyrell Sloan.
I agree baggygreen man. The problem with a lot, but not all, of indigenous kids is that they are not big framed (a few like Latrell Mitchell don't qualify with what I said I know) so putting on weight becomes a problem for several of these guys. Sloan, Jayden Campbell, and quite a few others I'm sure would like to bulk up a lot but they just cant. They rely on strength and speed mainly and to overcome Sloan's inability to make effective tackles and also to break tackles, he has to rely on other means to do things - tackling low in defence and being able to palm off guys in attack. I think Sloan weighs in at 84 kg now so If he can get to say 90 kg that will help a lot but as I say, it isn't that easy for him.

We do need a guy like Sloan in the team for his guile and elusiveness and when he comes in as the extra man he does create try scoring opportunities. I would not leave him out of the starting 13 and if fit he should be the fullback and Allan on the wing.

RedVee_8

Juniors
You've got to credit Easts for thinking outside the box, wish our board were looking for solutions as vigorously as they are.

However the idea of Manu going for a short stint in union and coming straight back to the same club is absolutely not going to fly when it comes to gaining an exemption. No chance whatsoever.
I just read “The Wolf You Feed” Bennett biography. Great read.
This book hints* that the Chooksters would have arranged to give Bennett use of Bouris’ apartment in the Toaster next to the Opera House if he had come on board.

*not definitely stated but I was left with that impression

The Word

Juniors
I just read “The Wolf You Feed” Bennett biography. Great read.
This book hints* that the Chooksters would have arranged to give Bennett use of Bouris’ apartment in the Toaster next to the Opera House if he had come on board.

*not definitely stated but I was left with that impression
Thanks Redvee will have to buy it. Does he talk much about the Dragons?

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
So cheap infinite loans that could save a player $1mill plus over 25yrs if not $3mill at a seriously discounted rate via the Mark Bouris (plus) connections

Coaching staff luxurious add ons like the toaster at Woolloomooloo

Jobs in car yards for minimum post carer term ie 4 plus years at 250k pa ($1mill(

That’s seriously double what can be offered at most clubs.

Does martin Newman own how many dealerships ?

Chairman Nick owned something like 200 plus Australia wide at one stage?

I mean you could move to the Whitsundays post career and sell cars and make $250k minimum pa no questions asked ? Plus be saving a million plus on ur home loan over its maturity

The Word

Juniors

Just re read this article about Doust and the board and Flanno
Luckily he's not the main decision maker anymore. This guy is no longer fit to be a Board member. I have no idea why he's still there. They had to stop him doing interviews because he was clearly off his head when he did the last couple.

Flanagan is Webb's pick.

Problem with getting rid of Doust has always been the fact that he is Deputy Chairman of St George Leagues Club. Craig Young is also on the Board. St George Leagues own 50% of the club. Impossible situation.

Last edited:
Sloan is also poor at making metres - av 119, compared to Tesco - av 185, Turbo - av 193 and Dylan Edwards - av 207mtrs.
I will continue to defend this kid as he has masses of promise. Flanagan knows that, his team mates know that and I dare say so do the BOD.
We all see Sloan often sniffing around the ball, but unless he steps into dummy half he is faced with a lack of vision from our so called play makers.
You compare Sloan who plays in a team that has no rudder in its spine with poor service and lack of attack and defensive structure, to the other three that play in sides with strong structures and clever play makers. An unfair comparison.

baggygreen man
REDVHEARTBEAT please. I'd change my u/n if I could find a mod to do it.

We do need a guy like Sloan in the team for his guile and elusiveness and when he comes in as the extra man he does create try scoring opportunities. I would not leave him out of the starting 13 and if fit he should be the fullback and Allan on the wing.
Glad I have an ally DD. Yes defense is his achilles heel. All a matter of attitude as he has the pace to reach his opponent, it is once there he lacks both confidence and tackling technique. I agree no better way to bring down a bigger opponent than around the legs. I know from experience during my junior league days in the halves, tho I was a squirt I loved tackling and nothing better than rounding up a runaway outside back with a diving round the legs screamer, like my hero Johnny Raper.

kit66

Bench
I will continue to defend this kid as he has masses of promise. Flanagan knows that, his team mates know that and I dare say so do the BOD.
We all see Sloan often sniffing around the ball, but unless he steps into dummy half he is faced with a lack of vision from our so called play makers.
You compare Sloan who plays in a team that has no rudder in its spine with poor service and lack of attack and defensive structure, to the other three that play in sides with strong structures and clever play makers. An unfair comparison.

I know Sloan has potential and I also said our halves have to bring him into the game more. I'm not advocating replacing him immediately either, he needs some more time obviously but we need to be realistic.
What I am saying is his stats last year were close to, if not the worst for any regular fullback by some margin - and that's across the board, across all teams not just the players I used as examples.
You can defend him and sing his "potential" praises but keep in mind he will be playing with virtually the same squad he's been playing with for the last 2-3 years so any improvement is going to be mostly up to him personally with maybe Flanagan Snr's coaching coming into play. Yes, give him time but can we afford to have such a weak link in our spine ? Poor defence and offering little in the way of attack - the occasional brilliant play once every 3rd or 4th game won't cut it. Considering our current squad, we can't afford to carry any useless passengers. Shape up or go learn how in Reserves.
Any word on Cody Ramsey ?

Last edited:

Gomarchin

Juniors
I read a bit of the chapter about the Dragons in Bennett’s latest book. It was interesting to read that for most of 2010, including the finals, we went into games with only one proper front rower in Weyman. Bennett relied heavily on those hard nosed second rowers we had in the team. Perhaps this should be our approach this season.
He's coached two sides to GF losses since he left us in 2011 and it looks like his last premiership will be with us in 2010.

We probably would've won another 1-2 premierships if he stayed on in 2012 and beyond.

Latest posts