What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
To whom are you referring. Only hard nosed back rower we have is JDB. I suppose you could also add Sele.
He was talking about Bennett and our 2010 2nd rowers (Costigan, Smith, Saffy and to a lesser extent Creagh) and how we were a bit of an anomaly in regards to having only one legitimate front rower (Weyman). Special mention to Costigan who played the game of his life in that Grand final at front row.

Dragon David

First Grade
Save yourself the heartache waiting. Highly likely that nothing is going to happen there. If it does then is a bonus.
Even Rumours will be hard pressed to let us know what is happening with signings. I don't think that the club will be giving away any hints whatsoever because they have been bitten on the backside too many times and those bites have stung them and now will keep quiet until any signings are actually official.

Gardenia

Bench
Even Rumours will be hard pressed to let us know what is happening with signings. I don't think that the club will be giving away any hints whatsoever because they have been bitten on the backside too many times and those bites have stung them and now will keep quiet until any signings are actually official.
That is an excellent idea! I'd rather be pleasantly surprised then devastated. Also is a better look for the club.

justadragon

Bench
I reckon Carr earned his cash.

He wasn't going to turn the boys into scoring machines however, you could see the difference in defence and attitude.

I thought he did a great job with the team environment after a hell of a year on and off the field.
I agree with you but my reference was to our head coaches employed by the club as our head coaches Carr did an admirable job given the situation.

the occasional brilliant play once every 3rd or 4th game won't cut it.
Dare say you are being harsh here. He produces a brilliant play almost every game with the poor finishing often bringing his clever play undone. I agree we cant afford to carry any passengers, reason I want him away from the back until he has completed his exams on every aspect of fullback play at this level. I blame junior coaches for his poor defensive attitude, seems they forgot that the game was more than attack. You see this in many other players that have come thru our pathways.

Gardenia

Bench
With the danger, of course, that we all get antsy about nothing happening.
We should be used to nothing happening by now. This has been the case since 2018 or so.

It's much better for my mental health to just return to my old friend pessimism.

Anyone that says you're not a real fan has no understanding of the loyalty required to stay supporting
a team that everyone laughs at you about. I could have become a Sombrero or Wrestlers supporter but no, I have remained a loyal dark fan. Dutifully and faithfully waving my little red and white flag under my little storm cloud.

Mojo

Bench
We should be used to nothing happening by now. This has been the case since 2018 or so.

It's much better for my mental health to just return to my old friend pessimism.

Anyone that says you're not a real fan has no understanding of the loyalty required to stay supporting
a team that everyone laughs at you about. I could have become a Sombrero or Wrestlers supporter but no, I have remained a loyal dark fan. Dutifully and faithfully waving my little red and white flag under my little storm cloud.

Hang in there. It’s not called ‘being a supporter‘ for no reason. We‘re committed through thick and thin. I believe we’re on our way back at long last.

possm

Coach
Well, where are we now in 2024?

1. We have secured a good first-grade coach.
2. Two of the three promising juniors that we were relying on have left the club.
3. We missed signing all three marquee players we pitched for.
4. It seems that in 2024, we will be stuck with a captain who does not want to be here.
5. We have enough salary cap to pick up a player or two if they become available.
6. If we do not sign anyone else in 2024, we have the opportunity to retain/upgrade/frontend the players we want to retain.
7. Flanno can concentrate on improving the players he has in preparation for 2025.

Mojo

Bench
Well, where are we now in 2024?

1. We have secured a good first-grade coach.
2. Two of the three promising juniors that we were relying on have left the club.
3. We missed signing all three marquee players we pitched for.
4. It seems that in 2024, we will be stuck with a captain who does not want to be here.
5. We have enough salary cap to pick up a player or two if they become available.
6. If we do not sign anyone else in 2024, we have the opportunity to retain/upgrade/frontend the players we want to retain.
7. Flanno can concentrate on improving the players he has in preparation for 2025.
Your point 4 is a serious problem. The rest, IMO, are positives.

Dragon David

First Grade
Your point 4 is a serious problem. The rest, IMO, are positives.
I know that this is a Rumours Thread but as this matter involves Hunt - who is posted on several of the other Threads anyway, unless he openly and sincerely comes out on a reputable medium to express his regret for what he had done in June 2023 by wanting out of the club because he grew disillusioned with the Dragon's front office after Griffin was sacked, he still harbours that desire and I would agree with what possm said that we will be stuck with a captain who does not want to be at the club in 2024. This will not bode well for the fortunes of the Dragons in 2024. Besides the fact that he would be disruptive to the current squad of players, it will also make signings of any marquee players for 2025 more difficult to achieve.

And as you say Mojo, point 4 is a serious problem.

Illusion

Bench
I know that this is a Rumours Thread but as this matter involves Hunt - who is posted on several of the other Threads anyway, unless he openly and sincerely comes out on a reputable medium to express his regret for what he had done in June 2023 by wanting out of the club because he grew disillusioned with the Dragon's front office after Griffin was sacked, he still harbours that desire and I would agree with what possm said that we will be stuck with a captain who does not want to be at the club in 2024. This will not bode well for the fortunes of the Dragons in 2024. Besides the fact that he would be disruptive to the current squad of players, it will also make signings of any marquee players for 2025 more difficult to achieve.

And as you say Mojo, point 4 is a serious problem.
Back in my days of playing , I would not have played for the guy wanting out never mind being Captain , and he would have resigned himself after coming to training and coping a smack around the ears ( that's saying it mildly) and if some on here thinks that is a bit harsh , I can tell you that's how it was .......

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
there was loyalty

the club was loyal

the players tended to be also

that hasnt been the case since at least 1997 has it ? ie 27years ago

Hunt is challenging them internally and externally

a fine line but i dont have an issue with right now........ reason being is that a blow torch nuclear style has to be applied for change to occur short term

Long term we have stacked our forward talent incredibly in the 17 to 20yr age group

But the 2023 / 2024 / 2025 seasons is the challenge !!!!! everything needs to challenged

Dragons4me

Juniors
Back in my days of playing , I would not of played for the guy wanting out never mind being Captain , and he would have resigned himself after coming to training and coping a smack around the ears ( that's saying it mildly) and if some on here thinks that is a bit harsh , I can tell you that's how it was .......
I get what your saying, but similarly in my 45 year working career, there were many I had very little time for and a few I absolutely detested. On one such occasion, a supervisor I detested pushed me past my limit from his harassment and I laid one on him that would have got me a minimum 12 weeks from the judiciary.

Illusion

Bench
I understand days and times have changed , but as the team stands now , they don't have to play for the guy and they can tell him how they feel about it ..... So be it if he wants to sook about that as well and go running to Flanno ....... Have said before if and when they lose a few games on the trot and the pressures on him , it will all start again ....... Should have been stripped of the Captaincy , like I have said before that one's on Flanno ......

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Hunt scenario is interesting as we had Tallis feel the same way and sat out the whole season. One of which Saints ended up suprising the comp by making the GF without him? For me Tallis ended up being one of the best back rowers in the game when he finished and was a natural born leader. He was a huge loss.

Which would we as fans prefer? I would say the situation with Hunt is better than what we faced with Tallis. Although he does not want to be at Saints, I am sure he will put in and give the coach a chance, plus he has his rep career at stake. The Qlder will pick Harry Grant at hooker if he is killing it. Harry will keep Hunt on his toes and force him to play decent footy. Ezra Mam, Deardon and Jahrome Hughes are also breathing down the necks of Hunt so he cannot afford to play poorly if he still has that fire in his belly to play rep footy. The only thing that bothers me is retaining captaincy. If what he did does not warrant him being stripped of the captaincy nothing will and there are a few boys who are chomping at the bit to captain Saints.

Tallis has mentioned many times that he felt dirty at the time that he was not released but now understands why Saints did not let him go and admits that they did the right thing not releasing him. Funny thing is Tallis was not on huge dollars like Hunt is and Saints still dug there heels in because they new he was too good a player to release to a team tapping him up to get a release. They stood up to Bennett and pi$$ed him off deluxe only to hire him 12-13 years later.

Latest posts