What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Draginzaaar

Bench
Last night watched A-league double Mariners/Victory, Syd FC/Adelaide then Aust/India. 6-8 hours I'll never get back :rolleyes:
Geez it was hard to watch versus NRL
I got more enjoyment in 20mins listening to Flanno on 2GB and, Thanks to @BlackDuckSaint, the Tele interview with MC
Bring on 2024
Go the Dragons
I can only watch highlights of football (soccer) games. They are so boring. 2700 passes back to the goalkeeper.

TheRev

Coach
Report on the radio that we have signed Jesse Marschke on a 1 yr deal

He previously signed played for the North Sydney Bears and was recently on train and trial with the Storm
This is the kid.. He's no volkman but he could fill in 1st grade in an emergency.. Which I dont think could be said for any other junior halves at our club.

Not sure he's in our longterm plans though.

TheRev

Coach
He was 2023 player of the year @ 5/8 in the nsw cup.. He's a good cup player, but he looks more a runner of the ball in his highlights package.. His goalkicking is 61% so I don't think he's doing that for us.

SnowDragon

Juniors
He went to court after punching and head butting a guy. On good behaviour bond, but will be dropped from his record. Mitigating circumstances, the guy was posting sex revenge pics of his sister. Won’t hold this against him.

halfback of the year last year when he play for the bears. A big step down from what we had last year, but good luck to him And welcome

He went to court after punching and head butting a guy. On good behaviour bond, but will be dropped from his record. Mitigating circumstances, the guy was posting sex revenge pics of his sister. Won’t hold this against him.

halfback of the year last year when he play for the bears. A big step down from what we had last year, but good luck to him And welcome
Is the dude really a big step down from Amone.

It remains to be seen.

Amone played first grade because Sullivan was regularly out injured.When not injured, Hook rarely played Sullivan.

In essence Amone had no competition for his spot.

blacksafake

First Grade

Well I’d do more than punch or head butt a bloke if he did that to my sister.
Welcome to the dragons young fella.

TheRev

Coach

It remains to be seen.

Amone played first grade because Sullivan was regularly out injured.When not injured, Hook rarely played Sullivan.

o The squad (not just Hook) either loved Amone or they really disliked Sullivan (or both), I remember an interview with Woodsy on a podcast, he admitted that the squad "really had their heart set on Amone partnering Hunt", I think it was after Amone was originally stood down. Which to me is strange given how amazing Sullivan was at cup level.. its why I suspect Sullivan may have rocked the apple cart a few too many times, cause on talent alone he was a sure thing.

o Volkman for me was on par with Sullivan for potential (similar experience), and above Amone who imo hasnt done nearly enough with 54 1st grade games (plus Volk was a legit 7 who kicked, goalkicked and managed).

o Marschke could surprise all of us.. but I'll just be happy if he can 'do a job' for 1st grade when called upon (he will be amazing for the cup team). The hard part is the kid has 0 NRL experience.. we have to blood him from scratch after spending years investing in the Sloan/Amone/Sullivan trio.

Last edited:

possm

Coach

It remains to be seen.

It looks like Hunt is staying for 2024 so, I hope Flanno players him at 6 as a running five-eighth and K Flannagan at halfback.

But the real problem is in the forward pack so, we really still need a big ball-playing prop that the opposition fears.

possm

Coach
Flanno said as recently as last week that Hunt is 7 and Kyle 6
Unless Flanno can work a miracle, he will soon change his mind mainly because Hunt at 7 was a major cause of the below-par performance of our team.

At 7 we need an organizer, a thinker, a person who can read a game. We need a halfback who can feed the ball to players who are running from deep behind the line into holes with momentum.

Flanno has already identified the fact that our squad was unfit last season and that most players were regularly receiving the ball flat-footed. Service from our hooker and halves was a major problem. So, to rectify this it will mean shifting Hunt to a running five-eighth position or to hooker. Hunter has made it clear that he does not want to play hooker at the Dragons.

For it to work well at the Dragons, the team needs a dominant forward pack that can offload the ball in attack and be very brutal in defense. Flanno identified this and went after AFB to solve this problem but unfortunately was unsuccessful in obtaining his signature.

I still believe that there is management incompetence at the top level of the Football department and so, I'd say that Haran needs to go. I'd also say that recruitment is such an important area of an NRL Club and so, the idea of having one person handling recruitment and pathways is madness. My remedy would be to get rid of Millward, give Millard the pathways job only full-time, and hire a recruitment manager who can deliver a good sales pitch. He would also need to have a good team of scouts who feed him with potential signings.

Flanno will know what he wants and should be able to just rely on the recruitment team to advise him of who is available. Most importantly there should be long-term recruitment/retention plans developed with A and B options. No more knee-jerk decisions and plenty of 'ahead-of-time' execution delivered.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Flanno said as recently as last week that Hunt is 7 and Kyle 6

I get the impression Flano likes Hunt on the right and the other half in the left

The reason I say that is Flano twice has talked about Kyle being able to handle the left from a kicking perspective etc

I would underestimate what we have in Kyle in the halves with dominant experienced half

They will work well in my humble opinion

The hard part of the offence defence management by our hooker and FB

I mean a great FB in attack is always looking where the opposition is short and FB positions but in defence continually helping the wingers squeeze in or slide out out

I think our two halves can manage the kicking well and short balls long passes running game and defence is solid

Latest posts